on 28 August 2009
I feel moved to write my first review on Amazon after reading this book at an appropriate moment in my life and in English cricket's life. I began reading it on the train on my way to watch the twenty20 finals day at Edgbaston and continued reading it over the next week in bits and pieces until finishing it just after England regained the Ashes last Sunday. As a previous reviewer said the setup IS contrived - a fact which the author acknowledges at the end - and I loved the personal story that ran through it as I am primarily a lover of fiction. I loved the several pages devoted to Collingwood's catch and was seduced enough by the description to look it up on Youtube! If he had been writing this now maybe he would have given some pages over to Flintoff's running out of Ponting last Saturday too. As a cricket fan who doesn't know a massive amount about the rules I enjoyed the geekiness of Balfour's obsession and am so glad I read it when I did, instead of during the rain soaked July in which I first borrowed it from the library! Thank you Sandy Balfour for the perfect accompaniment to my sunny late summer of cricket 2009 x
on 18 March 2010
Not quite in the same league as Marcus Berkmann, Fatty Batter, Rain Men et al but nonetheless a very enjoyable and quite funny cricket-centric story.
Good reminiscences of childhood cricket right through to the frustrations of the getting-older, club cricketer. We aging cricketers all like to think we'll pass some wisdom or passion for the game onto a younger generation who have way too many other distractions, sporting and otherwise, this is one way to do it.
I enjoyed it as a good pre-season "loosener"
on 1 April 2010
I was given this by a friend who'd already read it and wasn't particularly impressed by it, on the condition that after finishing it, I pass it on. So I'll do that. Tomorrow I'll leave it on a train, and some random stranger can pick it up. And I'll do it regretfully, because I actually quite enjoyed it. Sure, it doesn't say much about anything - least of all what the author loves about cricket - and I can't remember a damned thing of any significance about it, but even so, it was an enjoyable read. I recommend that you buy it. Unless you find it on the train tomorrow. I'll be buying it too.
on 29 August 2012
A combination of a cricket book and a book about the father daughter relationship. His daughter has always been one of his most precious things, but the relationship begins to change at the appearance of her first boyfriend.

The lad is a skateboarder, but after an accident, he takes him to a Test match and undertakes trying to explain the subtleties of cricket to a sixteen year old.
VINE VOICEon 2 July 2009
A somewhat whimsical but enjoyable look at the game and the effect it can have upon people's lives. The set-up is very contrived, but it does serve to place cricket into a wider context. This is a book which concerns itself as much with relationships with family and friends as it does with the game itself.