4.0 out of 5 stars Everything went as expected, no problems at all!
Everything went as expected, no problems at all! The book was well packed and it arrived on time.
Published on 10 Feb 2010 by M. Alonso Arevalo

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best
Though walking around with this thick book makes you look about 50x smarter, it certainly is a burden to work with.

First up, though, I would like to address the first half of this book:
Published on 30 Jan 2012 by Duncan's

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best, 30 Jan 2012

First up, though, I would like to address the first half of this book:
from what I learned, the first half of this book is beginner friendly, and it explains everything so that you don't have to refer through the internet to check what you have learned. The exercises are excellent too, they make you figure out a solution using the methods learnt to your advantage; you feel great after completing them.

And here are the 'not so good' parts:
Around Chapter 14, I assume that Stephen Prata figured that no one would get this far in the book, and decided to slack, or maybe another person started writing it here, with no knowledge of what had been taught, because we are slapped down with things that we haven't yet heard of being just pushed into our faces, and at an incredible pace; the internet is the second resort for a lot of what is put in here. As for the exercises, it is no longer a point where Prata makes sure to come up with something we'll have to figure out, no, most of the questions are along the lines of:

Modify listing 12.3 so that it is mutual friends with its derived class.

To that, I say: no! Why should I modify it? That requires no fun. I didn't write that, and it wasn't me that wanted to optimize the code as much as possible; it was Prata, and I am left to just add a few more lines. Go away.

Overall, this book is all right, just so long as you can endure everything past Chapter 14.

4.0 out of 5 stars Everything went as expected, no problems at all!, 10 Feb 2010
M. Alonso Arevalo "Miguel" (The Netherlands) - See all my reviews

C++ Primer Plus (5th Edition)
26.36