Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

on 25 August 2011
I read this book on my Kindle and was bowled over.

I normally prefer male writers of crime thrillers and only started this series as it was on offer. I am glad I gave it a chance. This writer is great at developing a character and giving you greater insight into why they act the way they do.

I would strongly recommend this series of books to anyone who enjoys Jeffrey Deaver and other types of thrillers of that sort.
on 22 September 2011
Ths is my first book from Laurel Dewey and i must say i was very impressed. A great read and hard to put down as you want to know the outcome. The book is well writen and keeps you interested. I have already downloaded the 2 follow on books with Jane Perry and cant wait to start reading them.
on 23 September 2011
wow. an amazing book. gripped me from the first page. the characters are so real and you
you cant help feeling empathy towards them. as soon as i`d finished i downloaded the secon book in the series. redemption.
on 6 March 2011
I downloaded this book by a previously unknown (to me) author onto my Kindle after reading the various reviews. Wow! I was not disappointed. You start off hating the foul-mouthed, strong female cop, Jane Perry - and end up living every minute of the story with her. I finished this within 36 hours, I just couldn't put it down, totally engrossing, and when it finished, I was immediately looking for another book by this author. Highly recommended for a good read!
on 2 March 2011
When I started this book I was not thrilled by the awful personality of the female cop - Jane Perry - however, during the story it was understandable that behaved as she did because of her childhood.

The story was gripping and part of me didn't want to read on as it was rather unsettling - but the other part was desperate to follow the story. I liked the fact that Jane Perry did seem to come to terms with her demons by the end of the book, and I grew to like her.

I am now checking out the second book in the series.

I really enjoyed the book.
on 29 October 2012
Great book, great author. Really enjoy these (Jane Perry) series of books, they are written well and give a great ability to imagine all the characters within the stories.
on 20 March 2011
Despite only giving three stars I actually enjoyed this book. BUT there were problems with both plot and characters. I didn't find the main character particularly sympathetic initially, despite the difficult childhood she had endured. I also didn't think she was half as clever as she thought she was. Being an expert in body language etc., she missed a hell of a lot of clues! I also found it difficult to believe that the behaviour of both her and her partner would have been tolerated in a police department. The clues to the killer were also quite obvious to the casual reader which made you wonder why such a good detective missed them! But with all these criticisms I still found the book to be quite a page turner and think the character could develop over time. I may well read more from this author about this character.
on 16 May 2011
Protector took a bit of persistence, much of the early stages were like an episode of East Enders - all the characters do is shout at each other. The latter 2/3 of the book are much better, I was kept guessing who the threat was until the final few pages, and it is all wrapped up quite nicely.
on 20 March 2011
I found this to be an enjoyable read on the whole, although there are some very over-used clichés - the constant chain-smoking for one. But the main characters are very well-observed with good back-stories, and the story is pacey enough to keep you wanting more.
I only gave it three stars because I felt that some of the crucial plot points and 'maguffins' were very poorly set up. Do American houses really have ceiling vents in the upstairs rooms that allow you to see what's going on from the attic space?
In a similar vein, the red herrings that are supposed to throw the reader off the scent were... well, distinctly fishy. It wasn't hard to guess who the real villain was well in advance of the denouement.
Despite these criticisms, I did enjoy the read, and it's a promising start for a series.
on 14 March 2011
I have to say I really loved this book. I just couldn't put it down! I loved the acknowledgement of the darkness that can be found in people but also the light. The lives of the characters and the way people treat each other was so realistic; I've witnessed and heard so much. Jane Perry, and Emily, were characters I couldn't help but get attached. I won't say when or what part but I did cry at a point! The book brings all sorts of emotions forth and I felt it was very well written, with twists and turns, reality and paranormal. The boundaries were crossed and I loved it very much. A brutal and brilliant book!