5.0 out of 5 stars Protector by Laurel Dewey
I have just finished reading this book and found it absorbing, provoking, challenging, gritty and satisfying. When I finished it, all I could say was

"Wow! What a book"!

Published on 22 Jan 2007 by Zoe Topping

1.0 out of 5 stars Not my cup of tea!
I thought I would give this book a try after reading some of the five star reviews. I honestly wish I hadn't bothered!

Published on 4 Mar 2011 by Midnight

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Protector by Laurel Dewey, 22 Jan 2007
Zoe Topping (Denver, Colorado. USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Protector (Paperback)

"Wow! What a book"!

The plot is fast moving and exciting, with many twists and turns but the stories behind the story, the emotional upheavals, the psychological impacts, and the tantalizing threads of metaphysical unfoldings are very powerful and grabbed me on many different levels.

All the characters are well drawn, giving clear pictures of their personalities, but Jane, the Protector and Emily, the silent witness, are fascinating and really pulled me into the depths of their challenges. I found myself eager for them to win through and overcome their personal fears, flaws and tragedies. To me, that was equally as important as solving the intricate murders.

This book defies classification in the normal genres. I think it is starting a genre of its own because it covers a variety of bases: thriller, murder mystery, metaphysical tingler, plus psychological and emotional impact. At the end, the unlikely winner is love - the love of one human being for another.

I could not put this book down, and highly recommend it to anyone who likes substance to their reading. *****

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping from start to finish., 8 Mar 2011
This review is from: Protector (Jane Perry) (Kindle Edition)
I have read many detective novels and many of them use the tired formula of `washed-up cop chases vicious serial killer`. I was therefore initially wary of trying this book because Jane Perry likes the falling-down water too much and is on the edge of a mental breakdown. Familiar territory, perhaps? Not a bit of it. This books goes far beyond the scope of the average detective novel. It is quite simply one of the best books I have ever read in ANY genre. Dewey is head and shoulders above any crime writer you can think of, including the likes of Ian Rankin. Protector is much more than a police novel. It is about three people attempting to throw off the terrible events of their pasts and look to the future with hope. I cannot recommend this book highly enough. It might yet make the accolade of my all time best book. If you arent totally gripped by the first four pages you must have a very short attention span.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real thriller, 1 July 2011
Mole "Mole" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Protector (Jane Perry) (Kindle Edition)
Jane Perry is a police detective; a young girl (Emily) is left alive after a brutal murder but with limited memories of what happened. During the initial investigation, she bonds with Jane, and the police place the girl into protective custody with her. Jane has to try to keep the girl alive, help Emily to recover her memory, uncover the murderer and do this without alerting the informant within the police force.

The story is gritty, with a lot of bad language and some disturbing images. Jane is haunted by a whole series of bad memories from her own childhood. She is drinking & smoking heavily and this is slowly destroying her; but her recollections of her own past also allow her to understand the pain of Emily as she comes to terms with the loss of her family. The story unfolds in a measured way, as Jane uncovers the clues, one by one.

I found it to be a superb book, with a great deal of depth and highly believable characters with feet of clay. There is a sense of desperation as they try to remain under cover, unable to trust anyone or let their guard down for a moment. The ending is highly charged and although I did anticipate it, I still felt that it was a great finish.

Certainly not one for the children; this is an adult book, with some themes that could cause a few people to get upset. But I really enjoyed it, and may well try to find others by this author.

4.0 out of 5 stars twinkley, 27 Feb 2011
This review is from: Protector (Jane Perry) (Kindle Edition)
a superb book, fast paced and gripping throughly enjoyed it, read it over two nights, could not put it down!

5.0 out of 5 stars Would highly recommend, 29 Oct 2012
This review is from: Protector (Jane Perry) (Kindle Edition)
Great book, great author. Really enjoy these (Jane Perry) series of books, they are written well and give a great ability to imagine all the characters within the stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars, 23 Sep 2011
Debs1975 (Lincolnshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Protector (Jane Perry) (Kindle Edition)
wow. an amazing book. gripped me from the first page. the characters are so real and you
you cant help feeling empathy towards them. as soon as i`d finished i downloaded the secon book in the series. redemption.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 22 Sep 2011
This review is from: Protector (Jane Perry) (Kindle Edition)
Ths is my first book from Laurel Dewey and i must say i was very impressed. A great read and hard to put down as you want to know the outcome. The book is well writen and keeps you interested. I have already downloaded the 2 follow on books with Jane Perry and cant wait to start reading them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, 25 Aug 2011
This review is from: Protector (Jane Perry) (Kindle Edition)
I read this book on my Kindle and was bowled over.

I normally prefer male writers of crime thrillers and only started this series as it was on offer. I am glad I gave it a chance. This writer is great at developing a character and giving you greater insight into why they act the way they do.

I would strongly recommend this series of books to anyone who enjoys Jeffrey Deaver and other types of thrillers of that sort.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping!, 6 Mar 2011
Mrs. Ann E. Price (South Wales, U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Protector (Jane Perry) (Kindle Edition)
I downloaded this book by a previously unknown (to me) author onto my Kindle after reading the various reviews. Wow! I was not disappointed. You start off hating the foul-mouthed, strong female cop, Jane Perry - and end up living every minute of the story with her. I finished this within 36 hours, I just couldn't put it down, totally engrossing, and when it finished, I was immediately looking for another book by this author. Highly recommended for a good read!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not my cup of tea!, 4 Mar 2011
Midnight - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Protector (Jane Perry) (Kindle Edition)

The storyline seems as if it has the germ of a good foundation - it's about a female cop, Jane Perry, who has recently been traumatised by a previous investigation into the murder of a child and her parents. Jane is then coerced into involvement in another murder case in which the only possible witness is a child, Emily, whose parents have also been murdered. Jane has many problems including coming from an abusive family and alcohol addiction.

I always try to appreciate that any author has dedicated a lot of time to compiling a book so do try not to be too scathing in any criticism; while something may not appeal to me, others may enjoy it.

However, this really is a very thinly veiled attempt at crime writing. The out of body experiences took over so much of the plot it became tedious and to me falls more into the loose genre of Christian fiction.

Add to this the poor formatting - each paragraph is double spaced which is not too bad until you have sections of dialogue also double spaced. There are then huge chunks that have no paragraphs at all.

Definitely was not my cup of tea!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›