on 10 October 2015
First impressions were good, packaged well and looks good in the scabbard but once out of the sheath and under close inspection i was disappointed.

The scabbard:
firstly, the two halves are held together with tape, thin sticky tape, not even ribbon or a wrap.
It has a patent pending sticker on it, i am curious as to what the patent would be for..
Wood is very thin and it feels ever so fragile, other customers have said theirs has broken, fortunately mine has not as of yet although it's only been used a handful of times.

The Bokken:
Blade:
Very thin, feels delicate and doesn't inspire confidence when up against other bokens
rough and gluey magnet near guard/tsuba.
The wood does look nice and it does resemble a real blade though of course no where near the correct weight.
Doesn't quite have the same angle as the handle making the balance off.

Guard/Tsuba:
Cheap cut out of ply wood
Glued on
On the large size

Handle:
Thick and feels solid
Best part of the overall product.

In conclusion, probably good for playing samurai in the garden but don't expect it to do any heavy work.
Showed it to my sensei, he laughed without mercy at it.
on 27 May 2013
I bought this to exercise my arms a bit since I pretty much only do cardio on a treadmill to work out and it has proven to be quite good. It's not amazingly high quality but for the price you're getting a decent Bokken.
on 5 September 2010
I originally bought this bokken as a visual aid for drawing, so understand that I know nothing of traditional swordplay uses.
This was not the bokken that I had originally wanted, but I am SO glad that I got this one instead. It is nicely weighted and is very useful to use for drawing.
In terms of the product itself, I was a little disappointed with the numerous aesthetic issues, such as kinks in the wood, the slightly offset tsuba and the iffy size of the scabbard's hollow (though, besides the kinks, this probably won't affect usage in the slightest). However, these are not an issue for me, and I have one major plus with this item: it is SOLID. Whilst trying to figure out drawing positions in my bedroom, I swung the bokken hard and caught it on my wooden bedpost. There is now a massive dent in the bedpost and absolutely zero damage to the bokken, so I assume that it will be very good for sparring.
Buy this product,.
on 20 May 2011
yes the sword its self is good but the sheath it comes with . . . well I broke it in literally 4 minutes of use just drawing the sword so yeah look at the product picture its quite clear now that I know its completely different sort of wood I would ask for a part replace but I have already painted the sheath black and I'm not sure I would be aloud the sword it's self I would give a 4 star rating.
on 17 October 2013
it came very quickly, quality average, could do with a little more decoration or at least some paint to define it a little more, we will paint some definition ourself to make it more attractive for our grandson
on 2 February 2014
Bokkens are mostly for use in japanese martial arts, particularly Iaido where you will only be using a sword. The saya (scabbard) is ok but there are better quality ones. These are also not made to be smacked together all day long but will hold up for a number of years with proper care involving light sanding and oils. This will be used for about a year in Iaido training and will last that long before you move onto more dangerous items. Good product but some specialist martial art dealers will sell you other items like silk tying ropes, maintenance kits and most importantly carry cases (which without you are breaking the law).
on 1 September 2014
I was disappointed with the quality of the scabbard (tape over a crack on one end).
The sword is ok but it seems poorly assembled as it is connected with glue and a big bolt on one side.
On another note, there was far too much packaging for one thin sword
Personaly i would recommend a polypropylene sword or a more expensive wooden sword but for now i will use this as a decorative piece as it is not suitable for sparring.
on 12 July 2013
Arrived promptly. Son loves it. Good sturdy piece of wood. Nice weight to hold. Great for acting out Ninga moves in the garden without risk of too much damage . We liked this one a lot.
on 16 February 2012
This bokken feels extremely solid and has nice finish to it. Unfortunately the blade itself is made from extremely warped wood. In fact so much so that the tip bends past the line of the handguard when held straight. Due to this it can't be used even in light training against another sword, since you don't have proper control over the position of the tip and can smack opponent on fingers very easily.
on 27 December 2012
This is a toy at best, there is no way you could use this bokken for training, it is to flimsy and light, hang it up for decoration but dont try and hit anything with it.