4.0 out of 5 stars Indistinguishable from magic
We had the previous version of the LeapPad, which had a bulky form and needed cartridges to function. This meant keeping track of which book went with which cartridge, and they always seemed to go missing. Also, we had some trouble with cartridges coming loose and causing errors.

Published on 27 Dec 2010 by S. Paget

3.0 out of 5 stars Tag
Tag has been very useful in helping my young son to read these books. Games are educational as well. Good product.
Published on 2 Jan 2012 by mo

4.0 out of 5 stars Indistinguishable from magic, 27 Dec 2010
S. Paget "S. Paget" (West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LeapFrog Tag Reading System (Green) (Toy)

This new version is so much more streamlined. You download the audio to the pen (10 books at a time), and then you can forget about cartridges. The pen knows which book you are using, straight away. You don't even need to tell it when you have turned a page.

Being a bit geeky, I spent some time trying to figure out how it works. I wondered if the pages had some sort of transmitters hidden in the paper. The truth appears to be even more clever, but I won't spoil it for you!

We bought the Spongebob book and the Cat In The Hat. So far, our 4 year old boy has had lots of fun. If the quality of the other books matches the old LeapPad range, there'll be plenty to enjoy.

Another nice feature is the Learning Path, where parents can connect the pen to a computer and see which pages are being read the most, how well the child is doing at the games, what they have learned, etc. I'm looking forward to seeing how my son progresses.

All in all, a nice update with plenty of potential. I wonder if they'll tackle the writing system next?

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than I expected, 3 Nov 2010
This review is from: LeapFrog Tag Reading System (Green) (Toy)
Just bought this for my son's 5th birthday, as we're keen for him to start to think about learning to read.
He's really into He's enjoying it - more than perhaps I expected.

Please note - it doesn't come with a book, so recommend you buy one. It does come with a free/promo book though, which is sort of useful in working out which 'level' of book you might want to buy

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for Reception aged Children, 7 July 2011
This review is from: LeapFrog Tag Reading System (Green) (Toy)
This 'magic pen' was a gift for my son's fourth birthday and after a fairly lukewarm initial response he has grown to love the tag reader and really enjoys 'reading' for himself! The pen is really impressive to watch in action as it 'reads' aloud not only each individual word (or page or entire story, depending on your child's selection) but also recognises all of the images in the Tag books and provides appropriate sound effects for those too.

This particular version of the Tag Reader is the latest one which has a larger memory so it can actually store up to ten books at any one time (although the books do need to be purchased separately and the audio for each one loaded on to the reader via the usb cable.) This newer model does not include a CD to download the initial software. Instead this is downloaded via Leapfrog's dedicated website. The process is fairly simple but it did take longer than I'd anticipated so I would strongly recommend setting the whole thing up before giving this to an excited child!

The other major difference is that the reader no longer comes with a free hardbacked book to start the child off, instead it includes a soft back 'sampler' to play with. I was really disappointed with the quality and content of the sampler as it is essentially just an advertising tool for the other books in the Leapfrog Tag range and doesn't really offer any ongoing play value for the child to use as a proper book. My son glanced through this very quickly and soon moved on to the two books that I'd had the foresight to buy separately. The only advantage to this sampler is that the audio has already been downloaded on to the Tag pen so, if you haven't had the chance to set up the system properly in advance, they can at least use the pen to 'read' through the sampler and get used to how it works and what it can do.

My son has really grown to love his pen and I think it has really encouraged his growing interest and understanding of words and sentences, ready to move on to independent reading as part of his wider education. Crucially, he finds this system fun and entertaining and it is something that he is happy to use by himself as well as with Mummy and Daddy.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent buy, 26 Dec 2010
This review is from: LeapFrog Tag Reading System (Green) (Toy)
this is a christmas present for my three year old grandson. It is easy for him to understand and use on his own. The books are flimsy but are excellent you would not expect a simple paper book to be so amazing. I think that we will be pleased with the tag and will buy many more books as my grandson grows. Superb!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars So good, I bought another one, 26 Nov 2010
This review is from: LeapFrog Tag Reading System (Green) (Toy)
I bought the Tag system for my, then, 5 year old granddaughter. She absolutely loves it and uses it often, taking it on holiday for the long journeys. The books keep her amused for hours and she is now a quick reader, although I am not sure how much Tag helped with this. She is now 6 and a half and still going strong. Favourite book was Cat and a Hat because of the different noises and interactive things she could do. The books can be quite expensive and I don't think they would be suitable for a very impatient child. However, it was such a success I have just bought another one for a nearly 5 year old grandaughter. She is just starting to learn to read and I hope she will get as much enjoyment from this system as her cousin!

5.0 out of 5 stars encourages independent reading and learning, 6 Jan 2011
This review is from: LeapFrog Tag Reading System (Green) (Toy)
I bought the tag reading system for my 5yr old son who has slightly delayed learning, it was easy to set up on the computer as you need to download the book to the pen before the child can use it, he loves it and feels very grown up being able to read! the child will recieve rewards for different activity's throughout the book which the grown up can add and monitor how well the child is doing and how often they use it on the account set up on the computor, its fun to read together or alone and a great way to kick start independent reading!

4.0 out of 5 stars Really pleased with this., 23 April 2012
V. L. Walker "Vicky" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LeapFrog Tag Reading System (Green) (Toy)
We bought this for our 4 year old son as he loves books and stories. We have only had this a few days but it has been a godsend on a long car journey we had to do - better than using a dvd player and easier for him to listen to than an audiobook. I don't think it should replace reading with a child or teaching them to read using traditional methods, but this is a great additional tool/toy and my son really loves it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for beginners, 22 Feb 2012
This review is from: LeapFrog Tag Reading System (Green) (Toy)
I have a 2.5 year old child and we recently purchased this as a supplemental to his education at school and found it very useful. I would highly recommend it to anyone wants to engage their kids in reading without forcing it upon them. Ideally this is better than an ipad or a kindle fire or nook at the beginning. Most kids will associate those devices for watching movies, whereas with a physical book, they cannot do anything other than read, or play games that the books provide.

PROs:
Has a long lasting battery life.
Lots of popular books to choose from
Great tool for learning how to read & identify objects by just a point of a stylus.

CONs:
Limited storage space: If you have a lot of books and depending on how your child is, you have to constantly connect it to the computer in order to swap out books.
Installation is a bit cumbersome and extremely slow

I believe that this device only has cons for the parents and not for the child.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 11 Jan 2013
This review is from: LeapFrog Tag Reading System (Green) (Toy)
I chose this for a present for my 3 year old at christmas. reads both tag junior and tag books

5.0 out of 5 stars great learning system, 5 April 2013
This review is from: LeapFrog Tag Reading System (Green) (Toy)
my child loved this tag system, especially in combination with the map ... even the little one was poking at the animals to hear the wonderful sounds

LeapFrog Tag Reading System (Green)
64.49