5.0 out of 5 stars Confession is superb

Published on 20 Jun. 2010 by Eirini Tsianaka

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Confession is superb, 17 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Confession (Paperback)
I have never been a great one for crime, the gore gets to me (!) but The Jacquot series have been a revelation. This one is set in Marseilles, and what I love about these books is you get so much more than murders. The descriptions of places, food, people sounds and sights are so vivid, so enjoyable, you feel you are in the little cafes and seedy back-streets. Within the first page I was gripped, if you read it you will know why......Loved it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Jacquot has a Samson time, 18 Mar. 2012
Noel (Belfast, UK) - See all my reviews
This is inspector Daniel Jacquot the former French rugby star as you don't know him. Working undercover in Marseilles with his pony tail shorn off. By Jacquot standards this is a gruesome tale. It tells the story of young girls kidnapped from across Europe, drugged and delivered to Marseilles for the export trade in white slaves. The interaction between their captors, who are inconvienced by a dock strike, and one of the local crime families is the meat of the story. Be prepared for some quite graphic descriptions of torture and murder by the saadist thugs. The story will certainly hold your attention.

I felt though that, like Samson, Jacquot's power was shorn off with his pony tail. The unravelling of this case is driven by the 'visions' of the attractive Marie-Ange and without her role everything would have turned out very differently. Perhaps a little bit of the 'supernatural' adds spice to a plot but I think there is an over-reliance on it in this book. It stretched this reader's patience and devotion to Jacquot. Perhaps in the next book in the series Jacquot will be back on home territory, with Claudine, using his brain and intelligence to solve crime rather than the crutch of the psychic revelations of miss Marie-Ange. Let's hope.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not so sure, 22 Jan. 2010
Jeff "roadrunner" (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Confession (Paperback)
Sorry to be a downer but why on earth did O'Brien take Jaquot back to Marseille? Perhaps selfishly, I'd got to love reminiscing about those little roads, squares and cafes in rural Provence. OK, this is crime fiction and there is more to find in Marseille docks let's face it than up in the hills. I did feel though that Jaquot himself, although technically on home turf wasn't what I believe to be 'himself'. I don't think his burgoning relationship is tackled well and I'm afraid I really really didn't like the return of Marie Ange. I simply cannot accept the 'insight' she apparently brings. I wish he'd left her as a one-off.
I wonder if, like me, many read Jaquot for the locale and the atmosphere. [There are, I have to say, better crime novels around.] I have happy memories of Provence, but not of Marseille's docks! And I'm sure many of you know of the up-and-coming Bruno in the Dordogne. Jaquot's been a great trip so far and I hope he bounces back but I do feel this one was a blip.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good author but disappointing plot, 20 Jun. 2010
Eirini Tsianaka (Cambridge) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Confession (Paperback)
I am an enthusiastic follower of Jacquot's series and I was looking forward to a new Jacquot's story. However, O'Brien's last work is unsatisfactory and not good enough to compete with other crime novels. Don't get me wrong, O'Brien is a high-quality descriptive author with creatively vivid illustrations in his writing. The problem with this book is the plot. Marie-Ange's superficial visions are ridiculous while the non-stop killings without police intervention are completely unreasonable and too far fetched. This plot could fit more in the Latin America environment rather than Marseille's environment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Confession from Reuseabook., 3 Mar. 2014
This book came promptly and was, as ever, an excellent read from Martin O'Brien. I cannot understand why his books are not more widely available - it's very hard to find them in a bookshop! The book wasn't in as good condition as I had expected, but Reuseabook's customer service was excellent and they promptly apologised for their oversight and refunded my payment immediately. I would use Reuseabook again, and I am only sorry that I have now read every Martin O'Brien that I can find! Impatiently awaiting another book featuring Daniel Jacquot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Excellent, 16 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Confession: (Jacquot 5) (Kindle Edition)
This is the first book I've read by Martin O'Brien and I'm straight back for more. You really feel the sounds, smells and atmosphere in Marseilles, as well as the tension and murder. Great writing. More please!

5.0 out of 5 stars keep going, Jacquot, 12 Mar. 2011
O'Brien's Jacquot is a good creation, someone you want to keep an eye on. However, the series has a few big flaws:
first, the order of the books just isn't right. I don't know why they are listed out of order, but I found that quite disturbing as you keep jumping back and forth in Jacquot's life- the correct order is: J & the waterman; J & the master; J& the 15; J& the angel; Confession.
the second flaw of the series is the widely different quality of the books, with Jacquot & the waterman ranging as the poorest of all; I found it a difficult read and had to struggle to finish. J& the master isn't better; my advice would be to skip the first two books and start directly with "the fifteen" which is a good, fun read and develops Jacquot's character quite interestingly. "The Angel" is also a very strong one, introducing a young lady with special abilities who is an enrichment to the book; as a special bonus we meet her again in Confession.
the third HUGE flaw (I'm french) is the terrible editing on all of the books; there is almost no french expression that hasn't got a mistake in it, and as for the culture..a male called Valentine? the nine o'clock news on TF1? (Valentine is a female name; the news on TF1 are at 8..in France, which probably makes it 9 in the UK), and so on..

to summarize: a strong main character, and happily the series keep getting better - but not the editing!

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much sex and violence, not enough crime novel, no pony tail!, 4 Feb. 2014
I have read these books in sequence. In this book,maybe the author was advised to include more sex and violence . The body count is just too high, the sex just too deviant and these dominate the weakish plot, and seem to diminish the characters. In previous books the plot is stronger, and the characters the main feature.These , and the marvellous sense of place,are what made the books enjoyable.
Marie-Ange's powers are not convincing and are a lazy device to solve the plot wrinkles.

In Marseilles, the archetypal maritime city, with literally thousands of vessels moored in its marinas and docks, it is not plausible that Jacquot, the veteran detective did not immediately realize that the ransom victim was being held in a vessel.
Perhaps Jacquot lost his powers without his ponytail.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read but quite nasty in places, 16 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Confession: (Jacquot 5) (Kindle Edition)
Being a Francophile, I do like the Jacquot novels and this one was no exception. However, I found myself skipping pages rather quickly because of the extremely unpleasant violence in this book. Admittedly the baddie (female in this case) was not a nice lady at all but I did not enjoy the blow by blow (literally) accounts of her misdeeds. Mr O'Brien tends to cram a lot of action into his books and I sometimes feel that the character development suffers accordingly. Having said that, the series has been generally very enjoyable. I wonder if anyone will start giving books a grading for violent content as we do films? I think my preferred rating would be PG.....

3.0 out of 5 stars This is the first Martin O'Brien thriller I have read, 8 July 2012
This review is from: Confession: (Jacquot 5) (Kindle Edition)
The early books in this series aren't published in Kindle so I have come into the middle of the Jacquot stories now that I am doing most of my reading on this wonderful little machine! This is an easy, undemanding read. Touches of violence here and there, some truly nasty characters and lots of innocent victims. The central character, Jacquot, is a smooth operator and all readers of this genre will want to read more and to visit Marseille - rather like Brunetti and Venice.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›