Format: Audio CD|Change

on 13 June 2010
This is one of the better Elvis soundtrack albums of the 60's, usually there are a handful of good tunes and some pretty awful ones to go with the film subject. Some nice rockers here like ..Hard Knocks, Wheels On My Heels and Poison Ivy League but i also like the tender ..Big Love Big Heartache and the pleasant sounding .. One Track Heart. Clocking in at just 20 minutes it makes you wonder why it is worth purchasing when you can get this album and Love In Las Vegas on 1 cd released in the 1990's as part of BMG's Double Features cd's. The sound is great and the artwork sleeve is wonderful.
on 6 September 2011
This album was a shock to me, OK so was not my favorite Elvis movie, But the songs are incredible, still makes me laugh "Little Egypt" and "Hard Knocks" Fantastic woth it just for those 2 songs.
on 12 February 2015
As A Previous Reviewer Has Stated " This Is One Of The Better Soundtracks Of This Era Of Elvis Film Career , The Actual Film Was Passable i Suppose But This Was Not Elvis Fault , He Did Not Have Any Control Over The Lame Scripts Or Of Future Movies That Came After This,
I Purchased This Vinyl Version Because I Have Always Had A Soft Spot For Some Of The Tracks On The Album,
The Well Known Tracks Are Of Course ROUSTABOUT,LITTLE EGYPT AND POISON IVY LEAGUE .
BUT There Are Other Songs Included That Are Worth A Mention As Well, Such As , HARD KNOCKS , BIG LOVE, BIG HEARTACHE
WHEELS ON MY HEELS , All Of Which Are Just As Good As The Well Know Tracks , There Is A Certain Element Of Elvis Trying To Input Some Needed Rockers Into This Album With The Excellent HARD KNOCKS And Wheels On My Heels, But Also I Personal Favorite Of My Is Really BIG LOVE,BIG HEARTACHE , I Like It Anyway, So Even Though The Album Is Very Short , I Really Think It Is Worth The Price Of This 180 Gram Vinyl From Music On Vinyl Who Has Done A Great Job On The Quality Sound Here.
I Am Very Happy To Have This In My Collection AND I Think You Shall Be To......Just Enjoy It GO ON.
on 14 October 2015
Fantastic LP Elvis at his very best as most other pop artists of the 60s were not to such a high recording standard.
on 15 May 2013
great album. i have always loved the songs from this movie. there's a brand new day on the horizon - fantastic
on 30 January 2012
This was one of the first Elvis films I ever watched on UK tv not long after he died and although I was only 11 at the time it has always remained a firm favourite. The script and Elvis' acting had a grit and attitude that had waned a little since he came out of the army and my belief is he relished getting his teeth into something more meaty. This commitment comes across also in the soundtrack album and is one of the best of his mid 60's recordings albeit that it is a little short on running time and has one or two throw-away carnival type songs that work ok in the film but I can take or leave. (But hey they are no worse than a typical Cliff Richard or Sinatra soundtrack filler from the same era) However there are enough quality tracks such as the beautiful Big Love Big Heartache, the rocker Hard Knocks and Coasters cover Little Egypt that could have been singles. Poison Ivy League, One Track Mind and Roustabout are also fine performances. This album sold well back in 64 at the height of Beatlemania but it is a shame that its not better know in the catalogue. This could have been a different story had the alternative I'm A Roustabout ( a totally different track to the title song)been included in the album to make it run longer and a single of Little Egypt / Hard Knocks been released at the time instead of clunkers like Do The Clam from the sub par Girl Happy sountrack. At this price its a nice little gem to add to the collection
on 21 December 2015
Before this week I would have said I adored everything Elvis has ever sang....how wrong I was.

By the time I was 14 in 1977 I had about 40 Elvis albums (half of which were purloined from my father) and then....the music died. Over the years I've rarely watched his movies (apart from TTWII and On Tour) as it always made me so sad to see such a great talent being made to sing mediocre songs to dogs, kids and bikini babes - while being sanitised to the point of being neutered (clearly I'm not included Jailhouse, Creole etc. in that description).

Anyway - this means I've never seen Roustabout and so have no emotional attachment to it, as others may have that had seen the film in their youth. This means the cd, while only £3.99, was quite a shock. I've played it a half dozen times and I can only say a couple of the tracks are passable....the rest are just awful. And that's allowing for putting them in context of when they were recorded.

So this review is really meant as a warning to the casual Elvis fan or another person like me that had just let the film pass them by....proceed with caution. Those 6 plays may be all this album ever gets.
66 comments|One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 October 2011
This is one of Elvis's better films and more realistic, i'd put it at number 5 in order of best Elvis films. The songs in the film dont just fit the scenes they're great, at last they got it right, it hit the top of the charts here or in the U.S and yet not a single released from it! RCA must have been asleep what the hell were they doing? There's a possible 3 top tens here if not a number one!Colonel Tom parker what was he good for, too busy counting his cash and let it slip by his 6 chins! Elvis definately a puppet on a string yes sir! Elv sings well, reminds us who he was and what he was capable of, almost Elvis is back 2 (almost i wrote), yeah he could could sing about anything but give him a real song and he'd deliver. Leiber and Stoller wrote one or two of them, quality writers no wonder Elvis sings so well and a fairly good script...man! It has to be the best album since G.I Blues and is easily as good, but....here we go, why are the songs so short? Thats what lets it down mainly and whos to blame for that Hal Wallis? Well thats why only the 4 star rating.But what you must do is....Buy it now !!!
on 6 February 2016
Great product exceptionally well packaged
on 26 December 2014
I really don't know how this album made it to #1 on the GB album charts - it must have been a quiet week for album releases!

Still, it isn't awful. Little Egypt, It's A Wonderful World and Big Love, Big Heartache are fairly enjoyable songs. The rest of the tracks are throw-away, disposable junk that no doubt Elvis highly resented. However, even the half-decent tracks are almost ruined by a terrible mix that placed Elvis vocals way too far forward at the expense of the excellent band. This was always a problem with Elvis soundtrack albums and was a result of 'the Colonel' interfering in order to make the final sound more girl-friendly. Pure exploitation at the expense of artistic integrity.

Don't pay more than £3-4 for this on CD, but i recommend just downloading the afore-mentioned tracks for less, with less hassle.
66 comments|2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse