4.0 out of 5 stars Rules Don't Stop Them...
Published on 4 Aug. 2010 by Rhys

› See more 5 star, 4 star reviews
3.0 out of 5 stars See them live!! They are fantastic.
This is music that's great live. The studio work is over produced, and loses all the energy and passion WAS pump out on stage.
Published on 22 Aug. 2011 by book maven

› See more 3 star, 2 star, 1 star reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Rules Don't Stop Them..., 4 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Barbara (Audio CD)
As We Are Scientists are a definate favourite band of mine, I of course, bought this album the day it came out now about 2 months ago, and I can tell you it definetly didn't disappoint...this third ablum from the boys on a major record label and it certainly feels like the most complete and full album compared to With Love And Squalor and Brain Thrust Mastery. From here on in I'm gonna go track by track so bear with me...

1)Rules Don't Stop: The lead single from the album is a great opener and it sure is catchy. It's quick, energetic and full of bounce, a huge burst of fun. And remember "if theres no victim there's no crime"

2)I Don't Bite: Like Track 1, I Don't Bite is also a real catchy tune with a great chorus and some impressive vocals from lead singer Keith Murray.

3)Nice Guys: Quite possibly the most addictive track ever! Very quickly shot to the top spot on my most played list. Such a shame it only goes on for 2:53, but then again you'll hit repeat and won't care.

4)Jack and Ginger: I also think this track is great, and it marks the point where the tone starts to settle down a bit into a slow, funky rhythm. Another great chorus, this track feels a lot like some of thier earlier tracks on Brain Thrust Mastery like Chick Lit and Let's See It.

5)Pittsburgh: It took a couple of listens before this one starts to grow on you, it's a lot slower and laid back.

6)Ambition: Another ballad like Pittsburgh, it is also slowed right down. Personally, it's another favourite of mine as it reflects some of thier earlier work.

7)Break It Up: This is a very bouncy track with a dangerously catchy chorus. A lot like Tracks 1 and 3 as it is short, snappy and snazzy.

8)Foreign Kicks: Personally I think this is the low point, and the reason, why I didn't award Barbara 5 stars. This track is just too long to get going as it trys to build up and up, like WAS own version of Arcade Fire's Rebellion, and it just falls a bit short.

9)You Should Learn: With an opening synth riff sounding like it was borrowed from the Yeah Yeah Yeah's, this track picks up the pace and the slack Track 8 left behind. A soaring chourus and some nifty lyrics make this another standout track.

10)Central AC: A solid track, with a happy, playful chorus that shows off another catchy guitar riff that WAS do o so well...

Overall, this album feels a lot like a WAS best of. They've taken the funky, snappy guitar riffs from With Love And Squalor, added the catchy, energetic synths of Brain Thrust Mastery to make a hugely fun and cheery album that delivers so much in the ten short tracks it runs for. 4 to 4 and a half stars. Thanks WAS for making my winter so much brighter with this effervescent record.

4.0 out of 5 stars They've done it again! Back and better?, 20 Jun. 2010
Kemp "N.J.Kemp" (Northampton, Northamptonshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Barbara (Audio CD)
I have been a big fan of We Are Scientists since their incredible album With Love and Squalor (their second album, I have been told). Barbara is a toe-tapping head-bopping album, with a mixture of indie and eighties sound. In a way it is a mixture of their previous two albums, as Brain Thrust Mastery was more experimental.

We Are Scientists have mastered their sound and have a new member, in the form of ex-Razorlight drummer Andy Burrows (who does a bang up job. However, I'm not a drum expert). Fans will love this and not a bad starting album for newbies. There is not a bad track on the album, some slower than others. Rules Don't Stop is a great opening track. Nice Guys is a tune! Pittsburgh is a bit more of a ballad, which will be great to hear at festivals as the band will be at Reading this year. Check out Foreign Kicks (just get this album!).

In comparison with their previous albums, Barbara had a tough follow up and falls short of the awesomeness and indie anthems of With Love and Squalor. However, it could rival Brain Thrust Mastery. Overall good tunes from a cracking band. Check this out. They also provide in the album booklet, funny how to guides and anecdotes. Good times!

5.0 out of 5 stars It may not be an excellent album BUT......, 4 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Barbara (Audio CD)
After their second album which was a combination of ballads, 80s and indie rock, I think We are scientists managed to find a sound that fits them as musicians and appeals to their audience that is still overwhelmed by their debut album (With love and squalor). It is full of up-beat, indie rock tracks like Nice guys, Ambition and I don't bite. A track that stands out is Central AC because it moves to a more pure rock path, were Keith proves how much his guitar skills have developed. Finally, it completes the album a nice slow rythm 'ballad' Pittsburg, were Keith makes a demonstration of his vocal abilities. Even though this is not a revolutionary album (this has no negative meaning, because sometimes new sounds turn out to be a failure), I think that anyone who likes hard working modest musicians who have only evolved in time should support these guys. By the way, live they are amazing!!If you have the chance to see them don't miss them at any cost!

If you don't know it allready they had made a downloadable link for the english team anthem that they produced. You won't find it on the album, but it is quite a strong track, so find the link in their site!

5.0 out of 5 stars Return to form, 26 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Barbara (Audio CD)
WAS lost a few fans when they released the experimental Brain Thrust Mastery, as it was a hard album to get into, but rewarded the patient listener.
Barbara is te exact opposite, sumple 3 minute sings, catchy riffs, catchy lyrics, uplifting and fun.

It's not going to win any groundbreaking awards, however it's on par with WLAS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Barbara Blew My Mind!, 11 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Barbara (Audio CD)
This climax of Music frivilance took me by surprise! I only purchased this CD out of interest after purchasing their recent With Love and Squalor Album and having listened to Rules Dont Stop Me and thuroughly enjoying it, I thought I'd give it a go.

Not only did it exceed my expectations musically but the insert slip also provided a humourous and personalised edge to the CD case which I think gives an insight into the perhaps surreal but ground breaking ideas of We Are Scientists. If you like catchy, up beat Indie Rock then this is the ideal album for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than Brian Thrust Mastery, 13 May 2013
This review is from: Barbara (Audio CD)
It's a very good album, more back to the roots of We Are Scientists. Which is always good. Would Recommend

3.0 out of 5 stars See them live!! They are fantastic., 22 Aug. 2011

2.0 out of 5 stars Two a penny., 23 Jun. 2010
Snaggletooth (Belfast, Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Barbara (Audio CD)
Maybe its just me, but so many bands are churning out albums like this and honestly, this kind of sound is just plain dated these days. Boring, tired, and its all been done many, many, times before. This album just left me cold. Next...

Barbara
Barbara by We Are Scientists (Audio CD - 2010)