5.0 out of 5 stars Humanity in the time of war
Published on 2 May 2007 by Love to learn

3.0 out of 5 stars Animal Rescue
Heartwarming but at times harrowing acount of the animals of Iraqi zoo animals during the conflict.
Published on 29 Oct. 2009 by Ian P. Dennehey

5.0 out of 5 stars Humanity in the time of war, 2 May 2007
Mr. Lawrence is a courageous and brave man to go into Iraq to save the animals at the Baghdad Zoo. His determination and organizational ability to pull everyone together for such a noble cause is heartwarming. The Iraqi's, the soldiers, and Mr. Lawrence's passion for saving the animals makes this book such a great read. The writing is outstanding, the story is riveting. I highly recommend this book to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Real Perspective on the War in Iraq, 10 Mar. 2007
Northenlad (Leicestershire, England) - See all my reviews
Firstly I will admit to buying this book for two reasons.

I know Lawrence personally and we even got married at Thula Thula, his Game Reserve near Empangeni, in South Africa. We have seen the work he puts into bringing together all the different communities and the environment at home, so we were not surprised at all when we heard he was in Iraq trying to rescue the animals that had been affected by the war.

What can I say about this book?

This is a totally different perspective on the Iraq War to the usual, everyday stories that you hear. Buy it, read it and embrace one of the true success stories to come out of a war that we are all probably sick of hearing about by now! This book is totally unique, genuine and extremely heart warming.

5.0 out of 5 stars A riveting read, 31 Oct. 2009
J. Moir (Dorset, UK) - See all my reviews
I opened this book and finished it in two reading sessions, in short I could not put it down. Lawrence Anthony's stunning detailed account of the appalling conditions he found, the people he met on this adventure and the surprising humanity he encountered from unexpected sources made me feel as though I was right there with him. In this book, you live the dust,the heat, the stench,the day to day fight to survive in a war zone, the frustration of bureaucracy, the camaraderie of those around him and the extraordinary determination to save the animals.
Lawrence Anthony's account is one of incredible perseverance and resolve under extreme conditions and is both tragic and heartwarming. His admiration for the Iraqi people who risked their lives to help on this mission shines through this book. The assistance he received from the American troops was quite a revelation. Having achieved so much, we can share with the author, the frustration and sadness of the mindless incident towards the end of the book. I wept and laughed many times. Lawrence Anthony comes across as a person with deep empathy for humans and animals alike and would be a fascinating character to meet.
An unmissable read.

5.0 out of 5 stars An astonishing read, 28 Jun. 2012
The late conservationist, LAWRENCE ANTHONY deserves a recommendation for his bravery and raw persistance in the face of adversity. I just do NOT generally read books but being passionately interested in Animal Welfare this story caught my attention.
I have since read all 3 books [ inside 1 month ! ] about Lawrence's admirable life experiences and total dedication to saving and conserving wild animals from death and extinction through war, poaching and sheer malice by greed and inhumanity.
Amazon's price & delivery, once again, excellent and this book is a must, it contains acts of unbelievable courage, perseverance and total commitment to a cause which meant so much to one man so remotely connected to a war thousands of miles away.
With the aid of a few locals and American soldiers, Lawrence fought to save the remaining & dying Bagdad zoo animals whilst surrounded by the Iraqi war.
His achievements are simply awesome and have left a permanent place in my heart. He will be sorely missed but thankfully the continuation of his work will help inspire others to help save the threatened animal kingdom.
Read it, smile and weep. You will love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 7 Mar. 2011
I didn't feel that this book was about the Iraq war more about the enormous and often forgotten about task of cleaning up after (or in this case during) it. This man is remarkable but he only ever states what happened, and never boasts about his accomplishments. I read it from the point of view of an animal lover and someone who felt they'd heard alot about the iraq war already, but once I got started reading I realised this was about humanity, the common goodness in people despite all the bad. There is plenty in the book about the animals too and the lions made for particularly tense read. The photographs helped emphasise that this is a true story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Babylon's Ark: The Incredible Wartime Rescue of the Baghdad Zoo, 26 Oct. 2012
An inside account that was gripping and interesting, of rescues and daring raids to save animals all while a war is going on around.
I read this so quickly as it was one of those unputdownable want to know what happens next books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Engaging right from the opening..., 22 Jan. 2012
A fabulous book, which I found incredibly hard to put down; read in 24 hours and as a first, both myself and hubby enjoyed it! (I first read Lawrence's elephant book which is fab and hubby is interested in International Relations).
Although understandable, parts were slightly disappointing as told from other people's point of view (whilst he went off fundraising in US for example). This doesn't detract from the overall interesting detail of the few months spent bringing some of the animals from in and around Baghdad out of the unlawful cruel habitation in the days after invasion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 11 Oct. 2012
P. Symonds (Plymouth, England.) - See all my reviews
Well written, unique, enjoyable. No more need to be said. A great holiday read! Brilliant story! Not like any other book have read before and gives a completely different experience on Iraq compared to other books!

5.0 out of 5 stars Babylon's Ark, 11 May 2012
An unforgettable book. This is a side of the war in Iraq that we were unaware of. The rescue of the neglected animals, and finding food for them when the people themselves were permanently hungry makes riveting reading. The help from the US army in the Zoo area was good to read about. I had just finished reading the Elephant Whisperer by Lawrence Anthony and his insight and care for the elephants in South Africa and the zoo animals in Baghdad was special.

Purchased from Amazon

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute MUST READ, 19 Nov. 2012
I have only read 33 pages so far, but the book is so interesting and so good, I felt compelled to write a review. No one should wait to order this book. Whether you love animals or not, this is one book that everyone should read. It may, just may, bring home the horrors of war and animal abuse and prevent what happened there taking place in your own lives by teaching a few lessons. We really need to look at ourselves, our selfishness, our cruelty, our lack of understanding in many global issues and change our attitudes if our children are not to suffer more of what went on in Iraq and what is happening in a lot of countries.

Kindness and understanding of animals is the first step towards understanding and caring for humans, for our children and putting at least some stop to the misery and suffering of so many. Wars bring nothing but destruction to so many. But man carries on with his selfish attitude. However, amongst all this there are some very brave, kind and caring people, too few sadly, who can restore some faith in humanity.

Please do read it, you will not want to put it down.