4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, whimsical folk
I first heard Stornoway on the BBC coverage of Glastonbury last year; then again on Jools in the autumn - and each listen made me look forward to their album release even more.
Published on 3 Jun 2010 by Major Tom

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointing
I had high hopes after watching this band on Jools Holland. A few songs are lovely and brilliant but overall I found the album fairly dull and uninspiring.
Published on 26 Oct 2010 by Al

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, whimsical folk, 3 Jun 2010
Well, I wasn't disappointed. Stornoway play catchy, folksy, breezy pop songs, with well-crafted lyrics, and a tone that deftly manages to stay just the right side of sounding twee. The highlights of the album are "Zorbing", "Fuel up" and "The end of the movie", with "The coldharbour road", "Boats and trains" and "Long distance lullaby" all good numbers too. Their style in so irresistably unselfconscious, that the odd miss-step, like the rather over-earnest "We are the battery human" is easily forgiven.
Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb debut album., 5 Aug 2010
Mr. M. L. Hawes "Mitchmusic" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Beachcomber's Windowsill (MP3 Download)
Stornaway is a name that immediately conjures thoughts of wild coasts, folk tunes, Scotland and traditional instruments and whilst they don't sound like Fairport Convention with a Scottish slant, they do have a certain earthy quality that has lead to this rather fine debut album.

I hadn't heard anything about this lot before I heard the album, which meant it was bound to be a surprise, and it did not disappoint.

There's a joyous feel about the whole record, whilst it's rooted in folk it certainly feels very relevant today with its subject matter and soaring tunes. I'd imagine live it would bring about a really stonking live show.

As an album it has that most important of qualities, staying power. It's been on my ipod since I first bought it and has had over 10 full run throughs as well as forming part of a great genius mix on my computer sat amongst better known Brit bands.

If you like Turin Brakes, Nick Drake, Fairport Convention, or Pentangle, you're in good company here, but Stornaway sound much more relevant in todays world. Buy this and find one of the sountracks to the summer of 2010.

Brilliant.

4.0 out of 5 stars The term 'modern folk' makes sense, 12 July 2010
A. J. Sturgess "Alan Sturgess" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
In some ways, the concept of 'modern folk music' seems to make little sense, and yet at the time of their creation, every traditional folk song was new and, in its own way and relative to its time, 'modern'.

Stornoway's music may rarely be of the singalong variety and yet, in their way, they capture the essence of our time and of people living in this time. Their songs range from the catchy to the contemplative. Moods swing between bright happiness and soothing calm, yet never fall into the cliches of being overly-sweet or unnecessarily gloomy. This is not folk music for those who think of folksingers as finger-in-the-ear wailers and warblers. This music is thoughtful; inspired by living in the 21st century and - yes - modern.

Incidentally, if you enjoy those songs on this CD which are fragile and have a sort of 'acoustic rippling' effect, then check out the recently re-released recording by HUNTER MUSKETT (available on Amazon). Although recorded back in the 70's, their music has many of the same qualities as that recorded by Stornoway.

Both CD's are examples of beautifully recorded and realised 'modern folk'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beach combover, 23 April 2011
If, like me, you are an old man, it is possible to feel like a gatecrasher at the young folks party.
Never mind-they compensate you in their song "We are the battery human".
These are songs for lovers of life.The vocals are Swarkowski crystal
& the lyrics have purpose.
I can listen time & time again, and do so.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album, 1 Mar 2011
Mr. S. Tume "si01" (UK) - See all my reviews
This album is wonderful! Its my favourite album of 2010 and the band are brilliant live as well, having seen them at Beautiful Days Festival in 2010 and buying their album as soon as they finished the last song of their set! It sounds so fresh no matter how many times you listen to it, I love it! A little like Mumford and Sons but better!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gentle, 9 Feb 2011
I hardly ever review but I can't stop listening to this album, it is excellent. If you like Roddie Woomble's solo album you'll love this. If you like this and haven't heard of Woomble - try Woomble !

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Music! Fresh and rich., 7 Feb 2011
Got to know this band by a hint on a friends web-page. Never lost the sound, singing "Zorbing" and other pieces every here and then, inwardly and aloud. The instrumentation is nice and full of ideas - so rich! One piece reminded me a similar one from Fleetwood Mac - that I love, too. No doubt: You will never regret buying Stornoways firstling!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous, 29 Dec 2010
I. A. Stancer (Dowsdale) - See all my reviews
Title says it all, a magic album, full of wit, warmth and charm. Only the very pretentious reviewers don't like it . Nuff said

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 16 Dec 2010
This review is from: Beachcomber's Windowsill (MP3 Download)
I love this CD download! I have listened to it over and over again, and have not tired of it yet. The tracks are varied from folky to rocky; clever lyrics; multi-instrumented; subtle. I have seen them live and whilst they were brilliant, I venture to say that I almost enjoy the CD more as some of the musical subtleties are lost live.

5.0 out of 5 stars the more i listen the more i love it, 10 Dec 2010
I saw Stornoway at Glastonbury this year and they are undoubtedly an excellent live band. The album is one of the best albums I have heard in the last 12 months. And I like my music...
The album grows on you each time you listen to it. Your favourite tracks change depending on what mood you are in, but you never forget the one that got you hooked. My favourite track on this album is 'Fuel Up'...