4.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased with my purchase!, 6 Oct. 2010
This review is from: BEBOOK NEO WHITE (Misc.)
Edit (8 March 2011): Most recent firmware allows file management, and seems to improve battery life. Now the only downside is the cost.
------
I got this last week and am so far very impressed. It looks great, it's fast (apparently the fastest on the market, and certainly the fastest I've seen), and it all seems to work well. A comparison with other e-readers is also flattering. The Sony has touch-screen too, but the touch-screen layer on that adds glare, defeating the purpose of the e-paper. Here, that's not an issue. You have to use a stylus, but that's a very small price to pay, I feel, for a very pleasant reading experience. It's also open-source and can read a very wide range of formats indeed. You are in no way locked in to buying your books from one or two stores. In my view that puts it immediately above the Kindle, the Nook, and others. Oh, and it's also one of the most attractive e-readers available too.

Downsides? The main one people complain about for this is that the battery life doesn't seem to be as good as is claimed. Mine lasted less than a week of pretty heavy usage before running down to one bar, which is not as good as what I've heard about other e-readers, and isn't quite as good as the manufacturers advertise. However, firmware updates are promised soon which should solve this problem.

I haven't used the wifi much yet. From the little I've used it, it seems reasonable enough, but certainly not as convenient as using a laptop or PC, especially as it doesn't store wifi passwords. In general, this isn't a device to buy if you don't have a computer. It comes with only a USB charger, and file management isn't very developed. You can delete files and create shortcuts, but you can't rename, copy, or move them without attaching it to a computer. This isn't a big thing. I almost always have access to a computer, and I don't think I'm unusual in this. However, it would be nice to have just a few more file management options built in. Perhaps later firmware will bring this... Oh, and if you're travelling, you can buy a USB adapter pretty cheaply for charging.

It also has a relatively high price tag. However, it's a little cheaper on the manufacturers' webpage, and they currently have an offer on that gives you the neo plus a good-quality cover for about £200 (I paid £209 including shipping). That's considerably cheaper than buying from most other places, including Amazon. And I was certainly prepared to pay extra for a nice machine that didn't oblige me to buy most of my books from one store.

To sum up: for the price I paid, I'm very happy indeed with my purchase and have found very few problems with it at all.

Pros: Very many formats; touch-screen without added glare; very attractive; fast.
Cons: Less than perfect battery life; needs to be attached to a computer for file management.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mostly very good, 13 Aug. 2010
This review is from: BEBOOK NEO WHITE (Misc.)
This a very good product, clear picture, fast redraw. Slight after image sometimes with webpages and in direct sunlight, but goes away with refresh. I bought this particular model for its wifi, so far not supper impressed with browsing on it. Zooms for pdfs but doesn't for webpages. You can change font, but that throws webpages out of whack. This model does have periodic firmware upgrades though. Good battery life, as long as not using wifi, mp3 player, or stylus touch screen. Only plays .mp3, not any other, or at least I have not worked out how yet., but again firmware upgrades. Solid aesthetically pleasing hardware, nice to handle.

BEBOOK NEO WHITE
BEBOOK NEO WHITE (Misc. - 17 Mar. 2010)
Out of stock