5.0 out of 5 stars 5 star album from a 5 star band...
In 2002 In Absentia was the first PT album I heard and I was blown away. Ever since I got everything I could lay my hands on and discovered a band with a range as wide as a star system. Steven Wilson is an absolute genius but it's not all gold the man touches (I'm not that fond of No Man for example...). With PT however he strikes the mother lode every single time...
Published on 1 Nov 2009 by Marc Van Kerschaver

3.0 out of 5 stars A step (back) in the right direction...
As a long-time fan of Porcupine Tree (and other Steven Wilson side projects) I was becoming increasingly frustrated with the Tree's more recent 'progression' (most notably the heavier sound that became more prevalent from Lightbulb Sun onward). Porcupine Tree fans tend to fall into two broad camps: those that prefer the older, more Floydian and trippy vibe of their...
Published on 5 Oct 2009 by Kevin O'Keefe

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Porcupine Tree-The Incident, 4 Nov 2009
This review is from: The Incident (Audio CD)
Played this CD once so far and my initial thoughts are this is a very Dark album which in my opinion is no bad thing as most of best music is,but it is not held together or as inspired to the same degree as Fear of the Blank Planet which I thought was exceptional it would be nice to think with more familiarisation this album might become the same but unfortunately it just doesn`t seem to have the same qaulity of inspiration,but don`t be put off by any standards this is still a good album that might just require more listening but make sure you buy the previous excellent P.T works like In absentia,F.T.B.P,Deadwing and Steven Wilson`s last album Insurgentes which is Excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Any fan of Porcupine Tree this is a must buy., 3 Nov 2009
T. J. Speed (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Incident (Audio CD)
Probably their best album to date. This captures Porcupine Tree at their very best. If you have not seen them live this is as close as you will get.

5.0 out of 5 stars My album for 2009, 30 Oct 2009
Love it.
Even the grungy bits. And there's plenty of tunes to sing along with.
(BTW, I actually liked FOABP)

5.0 out of 5 stars The best hope for modern progressive rock?, 28 Oct 2009
Christopher Lee (Nottingham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Incident (Audio CD)
The Incident continues PT's steady advance towards mainstream recognition, if that's actually possible in today's music business for any band writing songs that run over 10 minutes. There are numerous good, even great, prog bands out there, but PT seem to be the torch bearers at the moment, & this album gives no-one any reason to take it away from them. You can't call it 'a single song', more like a single song cycle, with recurring themes that tie the album together. Time Flies is a brilliant track, reminiscent of Floyd in the instrumental middle section; I Drive The Hearse is a beautiful closer. But there are too many high points to mention. It all hangs together as a fantastic 55 minutes' listening experience. & the bonus CD is worth it too; 4 more songs each worthy of a place on a PT album. If you like prog, just get it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works for me, 28 Oct 2009
SnowDog (Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Incident (Audio CD)
From a personal perspective this one reminds of earlier material such as Stupid Dream, and the Floyd influence is pretty clear in places too. I won't spoil that with more clues. I like the musical direction and influences. Definitely one to add to your PT collection. It is able to please immediately, but I suspect will be a "grower" too

5.0 out of 5 stars Mazterpiese, 23 Oct 2009
This review is from: The Incident (Audio CD)
How many ideas can you put into a record? Porcupine Tree can tell you that. Barbieri, Wilson, Edwin and Harrison have created a mazterpiese. This is not to be called progressive music according to Steve Wilson, the main songwriter and guitarist/singer of the band. Just rock or pop. Let's forget about that. This record is at least without boundaries; maybe someone would call that progressive. This double album is filled to the brim with songs, arrangements and ideas that any rock band in the world should envy. The environment of sound is endless: The guitar is constantly giving new dimenisions and soundscapes, the bass is always dead on, beautiful and filling every hole as the keyboard. Harrison's drumming is amazingly brilliant. Wilson is definitly one of the most gifted musicians, composers and producers in the rock world today. How, on this beautiful album, he draws back and forth the instruments and singing/choruses; fills your ears with guitar and drums etc. or draws them into the background of other sounds or instruments, is simply outstanding in every aspect! And his way of writing music is always something you will recognise out of the millions of songs you hear year after year. I will call this album a Mazterpiese. Not a Masterpiece because Porcupine Tree have yet to make their own Masterpiece. For all those who still can open their ears to something extraordinary and new in rock music I will give The Incident 5 stars. To those who know PC will also know that this is a 3 star album by them according to our own demand. And that is the top so far along with Deadwing, but we KNOW that they have the ability to reach the 4 and 5 stars (according to our demand) in the next years. By far the best "progressive" rock band in the world today All the details and songwriting on The Incident keeps growing every time you listen. Just buy it and then dig out all the other great albums by PT!

5.0 out of 5 stars this is the real thing, 16 Oct 2009
J. Daly "the menace of rock prog" (sunny luton) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Incident (Audio CD)
bold imaginative and sweeping,mr wilson and co will draw you into their dark and intriguing world and never let you go.this puts the rock into neo prog.make no mistake this will blow you away.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought Provoking Masterpiece, 21 Sep 2009
A. Golds (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Incident (Audio CD)
I get the feeling the complexity of this album is a little overwhelming for some people, or is it because their finally seeing commercial success, their the current band to criticise? In years to come I believe this will be known as their masterpiece. There are more ideas on this album, than most bands have in their entire career.

Also fans of Steven Wilson's guitar playing will not be disappointed. As their are more memorable solo's than the last 3 albums. Also I'ts good the band have never sold out. If you love complex, intelligent, thought provoking music you really can't go wrong with " The Incident " I doubt they will ever better this, but time will tell, because I thought they would never better " Deadwing ". But technically this album is their best to date. If you want to be musically educated, go and buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A PT fan writes......., 21 Sep 2009
Paul Spence "Paul S" (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Incident (Audio CD)
Well, the race to be first reviewer off the mark is out of the way and those of us that have embraced the album and fully digested it for the past month or so can have our say.
I've been PT fan for donkey's years ( first saw them inadvertently as the support to Gong in Manchester in the 90's !) and , I must disagree with a couple of reviewers, I like both the trippy Floyd-esque stuff and the heavier crunchier stuff.
The fact is that, subject to a few blips here and there (e.g. Signify ) which all bands have , PT produce credible, sensitive, soulful music with a passion.

This album is no exception.

Like many, I was really into FOABP, which is a great CD but the whole vibe of the album ( and Nil Recurring) is a bit " samey". Obviously SW had to get that thing off his chest. Insurgentes also fell into that trap a little. To me, this album picks up the more musical, positive/upbeat thread of In Absentia and Deadwing that came before.

Whilst the "concept" might not work for all, Ibelieve that the songs and interludes work perfectly together. There are some moments of sublime beauty, the mellow chorus on Drawing the Line, Yellow Windows...and of course I Drive the Hearse - "Silence is another way of saying what I want to say".....

Another favourite for me is the electro loop of The Incident. Even my girlfriend ( who only really liked Voyage 34) got into that. That is a lesson in songwriting the way the layers are added and the menace is constructed.

I can't say that this is my favourite because that would be unfair to Deadwing. The beauty of PT is that as each of their last 4 albums have been released, at that moment in time they were all my favourites, but the love for them remains as the band evolve.

To call PT underrated is an understatement. It is a crime that Radiohead and Coldplay are regarded as "Indie" giants by people who accept what is thrust at them by Sony BMG's marketing guys. This band ( and SW is the main reason) are without doubt one of the top 3 bands around in the Rock Genre, now ,and for the last 5 years at least.

It would be great to think that this wonderful work of art will invade the consciousness of the masses and tune them in to real music and musicians....artists ( rather than X Factor "celebreties" ) but I won't hold my breath.
Still, thank God I went to see Gong all those years ago........

4.0 out of 5 stars It's still the Tree, 28 Sep 2009
R. Lawrence (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Incident (Audio CD)
Music, particularly albums, either grab you instantaneously or grow on or with you. The ones that grow on or with you tend to stick with you, often for life.

I'm a huge fan of The Porcupine Tree, however, I was unconvinced on my first listen to 'The Incident' (unlike my first listen to other Porcupine Tree albums), partly due to the concept of the first CD in this package which I initially felt may have been contrived for the sake of being artistic: It's either one song or it isn't. The needle swings towards it isn't as the linking themes aren't immediately obvious, however, there are common threads which become all the clearer during absorption. I would argue that this is a fair expectation of any decent well put together album. Only a few listens in, the art is deep, haunting, the concept has grown on me and it really begins to fit the overall concept of the album which becomes more apparent the more one listens. The musicianship and individual style is unquestionably Porcupine Tree, credit to the four unique musicians that make up this group.

If this were to be my first Porcupine Tree album or listen I may have found the concept challenging and arrangement possibly inaccessible, particularly if you consider the relative accessibility of In Absentia or Deadwing and in the context of other music out there. However, being familiar with the 'Tree, this piece of work is unquestionably them and I would dare say it's the 'Tree evolved, when you consider artistic evolution is not always linear yet individual performance often is: Gavin Harrison and Colin Edwin's contribution providing sufficient evidence. There is some great writing, even better performance and solid hooks amongst this material. Their best recorded performance yet?

Stand-out tracks are 'I Drive the Hearse', 'Black Dahlia' (written by Barbieri) and 'Remember Me Lover'. As with most PT albums, including Fear Of A Blank Planet and Up the Downstair, there are some, often initially unexpected, stand-out moments right across both of the two 'Incident' CDs, which make it an absolute pleasure to listen to. The depth of this band almost always guarantees a new insight on every listen.

My personal challenge (and thus four stars) with this album is two-fold:

i) Having listened to it in context of Steve Wilson's astonishing recent album, Insurgentes, despite quite different moods and textures, I am puzzled to where the line between Porcupine Tree and Steve Wilson exists, particularly given he is solely accredited to the writing of most of 'The Incident' and the flavours between his own material and this band are so close. There could be an argument Porcupine Tree is Steve Wilson and vice versa. For example, Gavin Harrison makes a significant contribution to both solo and collective ventures which just blurs the line further. I can't help but feel Steve Wilson was slightly less engaged on this album than any other of his magnificent creations/contributions, not in terms of performance but perhaps in terms of presence, belief and this may have unconsciously filtered out throughout the soundtrack.

ii) There is some great music on this album although I still feel the overall package is less emotionally inspired and more contrived concept. Perhaps to do with incongruities between material and package. There's something with this album that separates it from the others and who knows, over time, that may prove to be a great thing. I feel this truly personal opinion emanates from the fact I have felt great integrity from everything else Porcupine Tree and, for that matter, Steve Wilson. I'm positive though and it's still refreshingly different from much else out there.

Sonically, an album I am having great pleasure indulging in and would recommend to anyone. I've always enjoyed the depth and emotion of this band.

For me, personally, it's a grower and a good one at that. Be great to see how it unfolds live.

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

The Incident
The Incident by Porcupine Tree (Audio CD - 2011)