4.0 out of 5 stars Page turner
Published on 23 Nov 2010 by Julie C

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow start but improved after that
I nearly gave up on this book, something that I don't do very often.

Published on 28 Dec 2010 by C. Bannister

4.0 out of 5 stars Page turner, 23 Nov 2010
This review is from: Her Last Letter (Kindle Edition)
This book grabbed me immediately. I liked the summary and was hooked as soon as I started reading. It's a real page turner, and I liked the narrator a lot. The book is a mystery, a woman trying to figure out who murdered her sister. The way this author writes, I suspect ted EVERYBODY. She has a real talent for writing suspense. My only complaint is that I didn't understand why the narrator loved her husband as much as she claimed. They were always quick to anger with each other and most of their interactions seemed to be foreplay for sex. This didn't make me lose interest in the book - but I wouldn't have minded understanding that aspect of the narrator better. Otherwise, a good kind of book to lose yourself in. I also enjoyed reading about life in the Colorado Mountains in winter.

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow start but improved after that, 28 Dec 2010
C. Bannister (Jersey, CI) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Her Last Letter (Kindle Edition)
I nearly gave up on this book, something that I don't do very often.

The book starts with a rich woman. Gwyn, finding a letter written by her youngest sister, Kelly, who died in slightly suspicious circumstances. The letter reveals that Kelly had been involved with one of her elder sister's boyfriends, she mentions a box and says that she is scared she is going to be killed. Gwyn and Linda have since married the men they were involved with at the time and Gwyn is determined to find out who was responsible.

There is a lot about how Gwyn has suffered with depression since Kelly's death and how Linda didn't get on with Kelly. Once the two sister's engage a Private Investigator the story really picks up pace and I must admit I was eager to find out what happened.

All in all an OK read and at 74p a bargain!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good who-dunnit mystery., 13 Feb 2008
Detra Fitch (USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Her Last Letter (Paperback)
Set in the Colorado mountain town of Glenwood Springs, close to Aspen. Gwyn Sanders is an artist and photographer. Years ago her sister, Kelly, had been killed by a hit-and-run driver. Police surmised she had been a random victim of a drunk driver. However, the killer had taken the time to drive her truck (which later proved to be the vehicle which struck her down) back to the house, pull it into the garage, and close the door. No one knows what really happened that fateful night. Gwyn and her remaining sister, Linda Lehman, have had no closure.

Gwyn finds a letter, long hidden by Kelly, revealing that she was sexually involved with her sister's boyfriend and was scared for her life. Gwyn and Linda have since married their boyfriends. It is obvious that either of their husbands could be guilty of Kelly's murder. Everyone knew of the fortune the sisters had received when their parents had died and neither sister dated the men long before wedding them. Only now does Gwyn realize that she and Linda honestly had little knowledge of either man's background. Danger surrounds Gwyn as she begins a search for the truth of what actually happened on the night of Kelly's death.

**** This mystery had me guessing and second guessing throughout the entire story. I came to actually care for Gwyn. I totally understood her fear of perhaps learning that the man she married may have had a hand in the death of her sister, Kelly. The author also includes Linda's reaction of not caring and not wanting to find out what happened since it was all in the past anyhow. The two sisters may have different reactions about Kelly's death, but the two still show the sibling bond that most have in the real world. I found it to be very realistic. The story slows down a bit too much (for my taste) toward the middle, however, the author fills these spots with information that readers may use to test their wits. Great reading, especially for a rainy day when you are trapped indoors. ****

Reviewed by Detra Fitch of Huntress Reviews.

1.0 out of 5 stars It had promise to be a great story but it did not deliver, 22 Jun 2011
This review is from: Her Last Letter (Kindle Edition)
I was wondering how this book managed to get published until I realised it is a Kindle Direct (self published).

The story had so much potential and would have lived up to the "blurb" on the "back cover" if only the author managed to get a grip on the plot, sub plots, point of view, emotional depth, characterisation, dialogue and so forth. The characters were two dimensional and had absolutely no emotional depth to them -- for example; there is a scene where she comes face to face with her sister's killer and it was, "OK, ho hum" -- there was abslutely no reaction. The plot was contrived and unbelievable.

If the author had concentrated on developing the main plot line and perhaps one or two subplots, developed her characters, develop good natural dialogue and added emotional punch then this story would have been a great read. As is it, it screams "first draft" version with everything being all over the place.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable!, 25 April 2011
This review is from: Her Last Letter (Kindle Edition)
This book had me completely engrossed for six or so hours it took me to read it. It is perhaps longer than it needs to be, but it kept my interest fully engaged. I think the suspense elements work well and though there were only four viable suspects I enjoyed the way Nancy Johnson kept me guessing and shifting my focus from one guilty party to another.

Two years after the death of her younger sister, Kelly, Gwyn Sanders is still devastated and finding it difficult to move on with her life. When she discovers a letter in her dead sister's handwriting confessing to sleeping with one of her sisters' boyfriends and stating that she fears for her life, it opens a can of worms. Gwyn and her remaining sister Linda have now both married their 'then' boyfriends and could be living with their sister's murderer, who could murder one or both of them if they start snooping around.

A book I would certainly reread in the future. I also recommend The Case Of The Missing Boyfriend, which is not another thriller as I thought, but is just as good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Would be worth it at five times the price!, 30 Nov 2010
E. Heckingbottom "elaineheck143" (U.K.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Her Last Letter (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book. The plot was well written and intriguing - it had me gripped all the way through.

Who murdered Kelly? Why? And what is happening to the sisters?

Some of it, you may feel you have worked out - but read on - things are hidden in this book - it was great!

I shall be looking for more by this author!

5.0 out of 5 stars really enjoyable and very cheap!!, 28 Mar 2011
This review is from: Her Last Letter (Kindle Edition)
I was instantly hooked by this book and it grabbed my attention from the first page.

I suspected everyone and still was surprised by the outcome!

Good enjoyable reading, you also learn about the area the book is set in, and all in all this was a great read and an absolute bargain for the Kindle!

Will defo look for more of her books

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't live up to the reviews, 3 Aug 2011
L. Hewett - See all my reviews
This review is from: Her Last Letter (Kindle Edition)
This book had such promise to be a great story, but proved to be a huge disappointment. About halfway through, I had to go back to read the blurb and a couple of reviews because I couldn't remember why I'd bought it in the first place.

It didn't help that I didn't like the main character (or really, any of the characters) right from the off - the main character comes across very selfish and petty and seemed to jump to really weird conclusions all the time with absolutely no basis. The dialogue is just terrible - one page consisted of a conversation between Gwyn (the main character) and her husband about which snowsuit he should wear and the pros and cons of each. Those kind of conversations are mundane enough in my own life, I can do without reading it too.

I didn't think it was as predictable as everyone says, but I wasn't really surprised either - maybe because I wasn't really interested by that point.

I've given it one star because you have to give at least one, but it doesn't deserve it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Her Last Letter, 22 May 2011
J. Potkins - See all my reviews
This review is from: Her Last Letter (Kindle Edition)
The plot has the potential to be a good read, but alas it was lost here. The narrative was all over the place, there was no depth at all to the characters and all the sub-plots were more or less abandoned in mid air. For example, we see 'the other woman' apparently badly injured in an accident being taken off in an accident involving the main characters husband and ex boyfriend (both of whom are suspects in the death of her sister, with the injured woman possibly the lover of the husband) and as soon as the ambulance disappears the party just continues as though nothing had happened! It seemed very light weight, we even had a puppy thrown in for no apparent reason. The relationship between Gwyn and Trevor is totally unbelievable, I mean we have a wife who, out of the blue and with little explanation or sound reasoning, suspects her husband of: marrying her for her money, lying about his past, having an affair, sleeping with and then murdering her sister and she's more concerned with how he is going to react to the new puppy! And then there's the PI, who can't put a bug on Gwyns own phone because it's against the law, but has no problem sneaking bugs and cameras into her sisters house! Really?? This book does feel as though it was written by a very young inexperienced person. The climax (to use the term lightly) was totally predictable. I only finished it because I was reading it on a long haul flight and it was the only book I had available!

1.0 out of 5 stars Lame plot, predictable story, 14 May 2011
This review is from: Her Last Letter (Kindle Edition)
I read the 5 star reviews and thought this sounded like my kind of book. I did manage to read it to the end but it wasn't as good as I was led to believe. Very predictable, very lame plot. I wouldn't say there was any suspense in this book at all. I kept reading to the end in the hope that it would get better - it didn't. I really didn't like the character of the narrator or any of the others for that matter. Glad it was so cheap as I would have hated to waste my hard earned money on it.

Her Last Letter