Size: Regular|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 21 November 2013
Size: Regular|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
In terms of the concept, this is a good product. It does what it claims to do and like most clever ideas, is incredibly simple. You simply pour water into a sealed pouch at the base of this pillow and sleep on the other side, which is like a conventional pillow on top. It's easy to fill and the instructions are very clear. I found when I half filled it to the medium level, there was some water sloshing noise and despite following the instructions for expelling the air, I couldn't get all the air out. But when I filled it to the maximum level, for a firmer pillow, somehow it was easier to expel the air.

My problem with it though was as more down to personal foibles. Somehow, I have always only been able to sleep by putting one arm under the pillow that I'm sleeping on. I have no idea how I started this and it probably explains why if my pillow is too soft I get bad neck ache. But try as I might, I have not been able to shake this habit. Now, with this water filled pillow filled to the max, it weighs a LOT. I dropped off OK but in my sleep I moved to my natural sleep position and woke up immediately with what felt like a ten tonne weight on my arm. After a few weeks, I had to give up. It is great for a bolster pillow to read a book with in bed, but that's a bit of a waste.

If you sleep in a "normal" position, I'd guess this is good, but for me, sadly it just didn't work. It's the same reason that the memory foam products don't work for me but of the two, I slightly prefer this option.
Size: Regular|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
It does seem strange to pour 2-5 litres of water into a screw-capped pocket within a pillow and I admit to some scepticism - but I was wrong. Very wrong!

As an insomniac who spends much of the early hours tossing and turning, I've had greatly improved sleep with this pillow (much to my surprise). It's the same size as a standard pillow and wonderfully supportive whether you lie on your front, back or side. Filled with 4.5 litres of water it doesn't make any sloshing noises (again, to my surprise), maintains its shape and due to the heavy weight, it doesn't move around the bed at night.

There's no need to adjust your position to get comfortable, the pillow adjusts and conforms to you instead thanks to the water. As you move your head, the water moves to accommodate providing comfortable support in any position and the level of support can be adjusted simply by adding more or less water until it's right for you.

It needs no maintenance other than replacing the water annually and it's backed by a manufacturer's 3 year warranty.

I'm both very surprised and very impressed and would highly recommend this pillow to anyone with either sleep difficulties or neck problems and I don't think anyone could be disappointed by it.

Absolute bliss!
22 comments|76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Size: Regular|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Mediflow Waterbase Pillow is incredibly comfortable, offers a great deal of support and I'm impressed. The pillow is basically a pocket of water surrounded by an insulating layer covered by a cushion of polyester fibre, hypoallergenic. It's up to you to decide how much water you want to add, depending on how hard or soft you like your pillow, and the instructions are clearly set out for you to follow. It's a foolproof process requiring you to do no more than unscrew a plastic cap and replace with a small funnel through which you pour the water. I used 4 litres for full firmness but you can adjust the amount of water until you have the desired level of support.

I wasn't at all sure what to expect. My biggest worry was how on earth the water wouldn't leak out through the plastic cap if I put any weight on it. I was also concerned about just how noisy four litres of water would sound sloshing around under my head if I made any sudden movement. I needn't have worried. The bed's bone dry but; you really do need to empty the air out of the water pocket properly, follow the instructions, to get rid of the sloshing sound. So long as you do that you shouldn't have any problems though you're always going to hear the water to some degree.

You don't need to use any special type of water to fill the pillow, cold or lukewarm tap water is fine, and you can leave the water inside the pillow for up to one year without changing it or adding any chemicals.

Without a doubt the most comfortable pillow I've used and I'm not waking up with aches and pains in my neck and shoulder. I'm happy to recommend and I'm just about to order another pillow for my husband who was incredibly sceptical but has now become something of a fan.
on 4 January 2009
I have tried so many pillows over the years that my wife thought I was mad. I have tried orthopaedic, tempur, other types of memory foam, mixed fillings, feather, down, goose, you name it - I just couldn't find any that gave me a fantastic nights sleep every night. Some pillows cost me nearly £100.

The challenge was that several nights a week, I would sleep, but wake up shattered, which would lead to massive depression. I had pillows that would occasionally be great (mainly feather based), but as I toss and turn a lot a night most of the pillows would wake me up.

It was in desperation that I turned to this pillow after checking out the company's website and saw the video testimonials that I thought I would give it a try. Having spent so much money on pillows over the years, I was worried this too would be a disappointment.

Not so!!

I have had this pillow for over 2 weeks now and am sleeping better than ever. It is THE most comfortable pillow I have ever had. You just fill it with water (the amount is up to you - I didn't want it too firm as I have neck issues) and then just lie back and enjoy. Every time you move the water moves gently around to cradle your head whatever your position i.e. on your side or back. It is like sleeping on a cloud.

I love it so much that my wife has bought one too and she loves it too!

If you are in any doubt whatsoever, and like me have had challenges sleeping (in my case 30 years - I am 42) then your search is over.

What price do I put on a goods night sleep? Well as I am self employed, this is literally worth everything to me. Goodbye depression - hello world! Oh yes and my sex life has improved as I am not so tired - yipee!

And that is why I have bothered to write such a long review - it is a life saver.
33 comments|203 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 January 2016
I bought the mediflow water pillow to try to help my migraines and neck pain. I regularly wake up with migraines or a stiff neck, so I wanted to find a more suitable pillow to see if it made a difference. I was rather apprehensive about finding a new pillow as specialist ones can be quite expensive and you have no way of knowing if they'll work for you until you try them. I saw on reddit some people were endorsing water pillows for migraines so thought I'd give it a try.

The pillow arrived with minimal instructions, but the instructions were adequate enough for use. It also arrived with a funnel for help filling the pillow. I forgot about this the first time I filled the pillow, so it was a little challenging but was manageable to fill the pillow. The second time I filled it, I remembered the funnel so it was much easier, and no spills!

The great thing about these pillows is that the amount of water you put in determines the firmness of the pillow, so they are completely customisable to you. The instructions will give you a guide as to how much water to put in for soft/medium/firm firmness. I started off with the soft level, which was what I thought was best for me, and have gradually increased until I got to a firmness that didn't hurt my neck. Turns out that I actually need a very firm pillow! I'd recommend trying it out using a variety of levels of firmness to help you to determine exactly what you need.

One of the difficulties I have found with filling the pillow is making sure all of the air is squashed out of the water pouch before tightening the lid. If there is air still in the pillow then the water will slosh around.

Another issue I have with it is that it gets very heavy when it's filled with water - mine is currently filled with ~4 litres. Obviously, this is unavoidable, but I'd recommend filling it near to your bed so that you don't have to lug it too far! The water tends to move around quite a bit in the pillow, so I find I do need to adjust it a little when I go to bed so that it gives me the right support (maybe that's just a sign I need to add more water though).

Some people have commented that they find the pillow uncomfortably cold, but I don't find this at all. The pillow is just the right temperature for me, and stays that temperature all night without heating up excessively. This is a relief as it wouldn't really be possible to flip this pillow over to get to the cold side - the water pouch is on one side, so you want to sleep on the other, padded side. It would also be far too heavy for me to flip over!

Overall, I find this pillow really comfy and it provides the support that I need. I bought this at the discounted lightning deal price but, having used it, I would happily pay full price for this as I think it's definitely worth it. I also think that it has helped with my neck pain and migraines, though it's probably still too early to be certain.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 28 October 2013
Size: Regular|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Initially got very frustrated with this pillow because I couldn't get all the air out of the water tank and the water kept making sloshing sounds even though I followed the diagram to the letter for getting the air out. After going away for a cuppa I tried a different approach by attaching the lid very loosely, smoothing out from the top to where I approximately thought the water started then I rolled the top corner across towards the lid carefully making sure I wasn't leaking any water and then screwing the lid on tightly - and this worked a treat - no more sloshing. I popped in the full 3 litres of water as I like a firm pillow which does make for quite a bit of weight and whilst it didn't look very supportive I did have a very good night's sleep and have continued to do so. Definitely good value for money as the pillow it has replaced cost over £50. I also appreciate it only needs the tap water replacing once a year.
on 24 September 2009
This pillow helped me to get rid of my neck pain within days. What a relief!!! It took me a couple of nights though to get used to it - needed to get the firmness right (you can add more water)and in the end put a small thin pillow underneath just to add a little bit more stability and height.Anyway, it's a great investment and I'll even take this pillow with me on holidays.
VINE VOICEon 31 October 2013
Size: Regular|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
One of the most comfortable pillows I have used. I tend to have too many pillows on my bed anyway and that often leads to neck pain. I thought this sounded interesting as it claimed to be more comfortable than a memory foam pillow. I have used it for almost a week now. It took a bit of getting used to, having just this pillow on the bed, but over the few days I have used it, I have noticed a lessening of neck pain upon waking in the morning.

If filled correctly, there is none of that sloshing, you might expect from a water pillow. I didn't give it 5* for the fact that filling it can be a little fiddly. There are 3 fill levels, soft, medium, firm (controlled by how much water is added to the pillow). I tried medium first, but it didn't give enough support. Firm seems to be the best, and yet it is still very comfortable.

It comes with a small plastic funnel that screws into the opening of the pillow, securely. I did have a slight amount of spillage while trying to fill it, it is best filled either, propped on a secure chair (with arms) or another person holding it securely while you fill it. I found the best method was to fill a large jug, which I had to do more than once. I had to go by fluid OZ to fill the pillow, as the other measurements were in American units.

I have found that now I am used to the pillow, I am getting a more comfortable night's sleep. According to the manufacturer, you can keep the water in the pillow for up to a year without the need to change it. Comfy, but a little on the awkward side, to fill.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 30 October 2013
Size: Regular|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I was delighted to see this pillow on the Vine list as my pillow was overdue for a change!
The pillow itself has a simple method to adjust the firmness, just add water for extra firmness or remove for less. The bladder which contains the water is thermally protected so the user doesn't feel the chill! ( this system works really well for me as I haven't noticed that the pillow was cooler than it should have been.) the pillow comes complete with a funnel/Tool for filling the interior bladder and it is simplicity itself to fill.
The makers recommend the pillow to people who have trouble sleeping, suffer from neck or back pain or sleep Apnea....This pretty well describes me and I have had umpteen different pillows in hope of curing one or two of these issues. Has it worked for me? Well its very comfortable and I have had two particularly good nights sleep out of four,I know that doesn't sound particularly impressive, but for me its pretty damned good! Plus I have had no neck pain since using the Mediflow.
Is it worth £30.47?.....Yes of course it is! looking at the price of decent pillows it is only slightly more expensive but it also has a three year guarantee.
I am really impressed with this product and certainly recommend it.
EDIT 13-1-14
After using this pillow for almost three months,the pillow developed a huge dint in the centre where the fibre had flattened, this is impossible to remedy as the pillow cannot be turned over because the plastic flange is on the underside with no covering!
Attention Mediflow! change the filling flange to one end and fibre the other side too....Job Done!
Size: Regular|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I jumped at the chance to try this Mediflow Waterbase pillow due to the manufacturers claims of a more comfortable nights sleep for those with neck and shoulder problems, I have suffered with trapped nerves in my neck for several years and had surgery this March to try and relive the problem, whilst the surgery worked to some extent I still have some problems whilst trying to sleep and have tried numerous pillows, my latest one being a contoured memory foam type that seem to lose its shape quickly.

This pillow is filled partially with water, tap water is fine and can be left in the pillow for upto one year. I filled the pillow with 3 litres of water as per instructions, this gives a medium firmness, you can vary the amount of water to give different firmness levels. One thing you must do is expel all the air from the water pouch in the pillow, the first night of use I could hear the water slopping around inside the pillow, so needed to expel more air from the pouch. You get a filling funnel that doubles as a tool for tightening/undoing the filling cap. This pillow is fairly heavy when filled with water but at least it don't move around too much when sleeping !! The pillow has a soft polyester foam filling with an insulation layer between the water pouch and filling.

The first night I had problems getting used to this pillow, this is true of any pillow I try it takes me time to get used to them. Over the last couple of nights I must admit that I have nodded off quicker than usual, and woke without the niggling shoulder/neck pain I would normally get in the morning, so it must be working!

One thing I have noticed is the water in the pillow makes the bed cold under the pillow, not great I know but again something to get used to, the polyester layer is nice and warm and lovely and soft. I also have an electric blanket and I'm concerned that if this pillow should leak there is a risk of electrocution, I made sure the filling cap was very tightly closed before use.

So far, so good with this waterbase pillow, it seems to work for me, it is different but you do get used to it.