5.0 out of 5 stars Simply one of the best
I've had this product for a couple of months now and I can't fault it in any shape or form. The sound quality is excellent. It is amazing how this simpl unit can generate such rich sound.

Published on 2 Nov. 2010 by Niftysnackbox

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good dock, but I didn't keep it...
After upgrading to one of the newest iPod touch's from an old 5th generation iPod video, I was looking for an updated dock to suit.
I caught this Philips dock lucky when it was at a reduced price but overall I was left with mixed feelings.

Published on 21 April 2011 by Mr. N. J. Henderson

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good dock, but I didn't keep it..., 21 April 2011
Mr. N. J. Henderson (Bude, Cornwall) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips DS3000/05 Fidelio Docking Speaker System for iPod and iPhone (Electronics)

First up then, the design is superb, very eye catching. The dock charges all the newest iPod's and rather conveniently runs of batteries, which is ideal for taking into the garden for those lazy summer evenings.
Sound quality is excellent too; the unit goes very loud with minimal distortion at volume.

All was looking good then, but you quickly start to notice the negatives...

Firstly, docking your iPod is a complete nightmare.
The design of the dock itself is set back at an angle and my 4th generation touch took ages to slot in properly. Once it is docked, the dock slides forwards and backwards slightly but that's no use when you're actually first trying to dock your iPod.
You almost feel like you're going to break it - hardly ideal.

Secondly, you are constantly prompted to install the Fidelio app everytime you dock your iPod. You cannot dismiss this prompt; the only way to get rid of it is to actually install it from the app store. So I did and although it adds some rather handy features, it has one very annoying flaw - it sets the dynamic bass boost to "on" by default and this cannot be changed. That may not sound like a bad thing but when you consider the dock is naturally very bass heavy anyway it certainly doesn't need any further enhancement. Therefore, everytime you dock your iPod, you've got to go into the app to turn it off - highly annoying.

Thirdly, no remote control is present. I feel that's a pretty poor show on Philip's part really, the vast majority of docks these days come with one and they usually control the iPod menus as well. Philips could have just thrown a basic when in with controls for just track skip and volume up/down, but elected not to do so. (I did know this at the time of purchasing, but I found that it bothered me more than I thought it would)

Overall, just considering sound quality alone, the unit is superb.
If you like your music loud, clear and base heavy, then this could be the exact dock you've been looking for.
However, if you long for a remote, don't like thumping bass and have no interest in the Fidelio app, then you're best looking elsewhere.
I returned it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply one of the best, 2 Nov. 2010

Like most other iPod players it doesnt compalin that I've just hooked up an iPhone (you can download an app from Philips to ensure iPhones work instantly without any problem) and charges the unit if it's connected to the mains power.

If you are looking for a simple to use and a chic iPod/iPhone player then this is it.

Oh, as well as main power, it works on 4 AA batteries which lasts for ages (still waiting for mine to run out of juice)!

Well done to Philips.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice design, 8 Oct. 2010
Gemma "Chocolatebox" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I use my iPhone 3GS with this dock and it's a great little dock to have, it's quite stylish in appearance and feels like it's good quality and well built. I was surprised at how good the sound was from this little dock, indeed I've had no problems listening to my music through this.

I downloaded the app to go with this, the free Fidelio app is essential if you wish to use EQ settings and alarm clock functions, but it's not a huge loss if you don't have it. It also works fine without me needing to use airplane mode on my iPhone, as most modern devices seem to be able to do now.

I usually have this in my living room or in the kitchen when I'm cooking, through I hate using batteries with it as it goes through them rather quickly to prefer to use the mains. It's not amazingly brilliant soundwise, but if you're wanting something high quality you will have to pay the price, and for well under £100 this Philips speaker system does a good job.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sound product, 30 Oct. 2010
Went to Comet to hear a whole line of docking stations, 4party, logitec, Proline, JBL, bose etc. Listened to mainly rock (Rob Zombie, Chillies etc) The three makes that stood out noticably were Bose, Logitech and Philps. I wanted portable speakers for a holiday so although the Bose sounded easily the best they were to expensive (£170) and to heavy.
For the price and weight the Philpis Fidelio did really well, they and Logitech were the nearest to hifi sound out of the remaining stations/speakers. The quality of the sound out of some of the stations was simply attrocious. Iv'e read reviews and people have raved about sound quality of various products and I can only guess they hear differently to me.
In summary for sound, Bose 10/10, Philips Fidelio 7.5/10, the rest about 2-3/10 (to be fair the some of the Logitech stuff sounded good (7.5-8/10) but I have read to may complaints that they turn themselves of at quiet moments of music to entertain them.)

So, good sound, mains adaptor with 3 pin and 2 pin for hols, battery operation if needed, 3.5mm jack lead for mp3 connection and my ipod touch 8gb docks straight in, light and looks ok imo.

Its not hifi good but music is still enjoyable. I can't recommend highly enough taking your mp3 to a shop to try them out.

Hope this helps. :0)

5.0 out of 5 stars Philips DS3000/05 Docking Station, 18 Oct. 2010
Romreader "pawsperson" (Gosport, Hants, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This philips docking station can be used with a Ipod or Iphone or can be plugged into the back of the aux in if you want to play cd or MP3. You can also use it as a speaker to play from your laptop.It is mobile as well and takes batteries when you want it to be portable.
It has 8 hours of play time or can be put through the mains producing a quality 8 w of sound through the speaker. A must have when you have one you wont want to use earphones for your ipod.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice!, 28 Oct. 2010
A. Betts "Alister Betts" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I've tried a few of these before and this is the best yet - a natty design which looks good and easily fits on a shelf, readily portable. Set up in under a minute and the three controls make it a doddle to operate. The sound quality is good though the bass can be a little weak (rectified by putting it against a wall) and the treble a little tinny at the top end. My biggest grumble is a lack of remote control, having to dash to it every time the phone rings can be a drag but it represents good value for money.

1.0 out of 5 stars Problems with compatibility after IOS update, 28 Nov. 2012
P. Dunbar (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought one of these 2 years ago for use with an iPod Touch 4G. When it worked it was good. Now with the upgrade to iOS 6, the iPod does not recognise the Philips Dock as a compatible device and so no longer works, except as a charger. I have seen some mention of firmware versions on the internet, but on a device such as this, there is no way for the consumer to upgrade.

A Logitech dock bought at the same time still works fine, although it never sounded as good.

On contacting Philips customer services, the agent spent most of his time defending Philips and telling me that it was Apple's fault. Whilst I dislike Apple as a company, I do think that it is up to Philips to work with Apple to sort out such issues, or else design more robustly, like Logitech.

I would expect that the Docks sold now will work with iOS 6, but be aware that they might not work come the next iOS version in a year's time.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Product - when it works !, 7 May 2011
Rich (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
I ordered this Philips iPod speaker unit for my daughter for Christmas. It was very impressive - looked good and had excellent sound quality for the price. Unfortunately after 3 months of use it stopped working. Amazon were excellent in arranging a replacement although it was out of stock at the time and I waited 2 weeks for a replacement unit to arrive. It had also gone up in price £15 since Christmas which I was very surprised at. The replacement unit worked well for less than 2 weeks before it too stopped working in exactly the same way as the first. So I have now had to return it again to Amazon although this time I won't be asking for a replacement as there is obviously a fundamental issue with this product which I find surprising for Philips. Can't fault the service from Amazon however assuming they refund my money this time !

3.0 out of 5 stars Sitting in the Dock of its Bay, 21 Sept. 2010
Quiverbow (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I guess there are times when listening through little headphones to your iPod gets a bit tiresome and you wish you could actually hear the music without having something stuck in your ears. A portable speaker is the solution, and this might be just what you need.

It's not the most powerful system around, but that isn't really what this is all about - the eight watts output is more than ample I would have thought; if you needed anything more, you might as well use a hi-fi. Your iPod sits at the front (strangely off centre) with a sole volume control for company with connectors for the supplied USB lead, mains adaptor and an AUX IN port round the back. The on-off switch is at the top. There's a flap underneath for four AA batteries, though how long they would last is anyone's guess.

Nevertheless, what does it sound like? In all honesty, as you would expect. It's adequate for something in a bedroom or to listen to whilst you're doing the ironing or some other chore, and as a way of getting the party started, it will be sufficient to begin with but will lose it`s power when used in a crowded room. There's a reasonable amount of bass but there's no separation as you would hear on a twin speaker system or 5.1 if you stray too far, so any serious listening is probably out of the question. It does charge your i-Pod when you use it, which is a good thing, and synchs to your PC. You can use this as an alarm clock to wake you up by playing your favourite track whilst your iPod displays your favourite photo, but you need to download it as an application.

Anyone thinking about taking this with them for a trip somewhere should think again; it might be okay when you're at your destination, but I wouldn't want to carry in my suitcase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 20 Sept. 2010
McStick (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There's no other way to describe it - this is a superb piece of kit! Essentially, it's a fully portable speaker with can be used with any iPod/iPhone and should be compatible with any other device that has a line out/in feature. It can run off mains power, or 4xAA batteries if a portable solution is required. While it does not have a radio included, it can be turned into one by connecting a device with a radio, for example, a mobile phone. This is done through the line out/in feature, for which the cable is supplied with the speaker. It will also charge any connected iPod/iPhone which is another handy feature.

In addition to this, this speaker can be connected to a computer via another supplied USB cable and will sync the iPod/iPhone with iTunes. I have to admit, I haven't been able to get mine to sync as of yet, but it is a very old iPod so perhaps this is the reason. I would also appear to have errors on the iPod so I will attempt to sort these and try the sync again. If I ever do get it to sync properly, I will update this review, however it's not an essential feature for me as I'm used to connecting it directly to the computer. Besides, I probably wouldn't place this speaker beside my computer, therefore it's handier for me to sync the iPod directly with the computer.

With regards to the speaker itself, it's a very modern design and is small enough to sit neatly on any table or area with confined space. The sound quality is absolutely fantastic for such a small speaker and copes perfectly with bass, treble and speech. I also own a PURE Chronos iDock, and the sound from this speaker is vastly superior to it. The volume range is also very good - maximum volume is almost deafening! Pressing the power button instantly pauses the iPod, so it won't play on and drain your battery.

Build quality is also excellent as it has a very solid feel, with no squeaks or rattles when moved. So in other words, a perfect addition to any room! If I had to criticise anything about it, I would say that perhaps it is a little on the light side as pressing buttons on the iPod/iPhone tends to tilt the speaker back. However, there is enough of a gap between the speaker and the iPod/iPhone in order for a firm grip to be obtained, which prevents any movement problem.

Overall, an excellent speaker system which I would recommend to anyone and I certainly wouldn't be embarrassed to place this in any room of my house.