on 31 October 2010
I recently bought a netbook and wanted a CD/DVD drive so I could load some applications on to it. This is reasonably priced, Plug & Play, worked straight out of the box. It comes with two USB cables, one for data and one for power. I didn't need the power cable, so I'm guessing that it's only necessary for older machines. Well worth the money, in my opinion.
on 30 November 2010
Other purchasers have raved about this product and based on their comments I, too, bought this external DVD Rom drive. I can only add my praise to the list of satisfied customers. I took it straight out of the box; plugged in; and away it went! I have been able to transfer items from my cd collection at a better speed than I managed previously, using the in-built cd rom on my laptop (which has always caused trouble). I just wish I'd bought this slimline DVD Rom much earlier. The speed of delivery was also exceptional especially as I hadn't paid for a fast service.
on 22 January 2011
Bought this product for my boyfriend as he does not have a DVD drive to play his games on his laptop and he loves it! The DVD drive is ready for use as soon as you plug it in. Works well and reads even his most biggest games. I am relieved to say he was very pleased with it! It is worth every penny I paid for it!
on 12 February 2016
This product is not as advertised and I would not recommend purchasing it. I bought this to replace an old one (from a different vendor), which was bought in 2014 and had stopped working. I opened up the old one to have a look at it, and found the dvd drive within the case was a Hitachi dvd drive from 2005.

After finding this out, I thought I'd check this "new" one - almost exactly the same. This time it is a dvd drive from a HP laptop, once again from 2005.

Please see the pictures attached for proof of the drive's model and age.

In terms of its functionality - well, under the hood it's a HP branded dvd drive from 2005, and is currently working fine. It can read cds and dvds, and should (though I haven't tested it) be cable of writing to cds, but not dvds. The drive is already 11 years old, so clearly it's very durable - but after so long you would expect it to die at any moment. Other reviews suggest that for many people it was damaged on arrival or died within weeks. Though if you're lucky and you get a dvd drive that wasn't used too heavily in the laptop it was no doubt stolen from, you could maybe get a few years of use out of this.

While it appears completely functional, I am giving this 1 star on the basis that the product description clearly states that is features "100% new High-quality products", and cost me £13. For £2.09 you can by this product USB 2.0 to 7+6 13Pin Slimline SATA Laptop CD/DVD Rom Optical Drive Adapter Cable--Black which will give the exact same function, provided you have an old laptop with a dvd drive lying around and you're comfortable with removing the drive from the laptop (a very easy process - there will be one screw on the under-side of the laptop holding the dvd drive in place. Removing this screw will allow the drive to slide straight out. You may have to remove the bottom cover of the laptop which would require you to remove more screws). You could also purchase a used laptop dvd drive for ~£2 on ebay if you don't have an old laptop to harvest.

I am in the process of contacting Amazon about this. Hopefully this will not be available to purchase on Amazon for long, but in the meantime - please do NOT purchase.
review image review image
on 6 July 2014
I can't complain about this drive. It has been working well for some time now. Although I'm not using it constantly, I have used it for longer periods before for creating backups and it has worked for this very well. I haven't come across media (CDs or DVDs) that it doesn't read and haven't had any problems regarding connection speed when using the USB power supply alone. I can't recommend doing this too often, but even moving the drive while it's running has caused much of a problem so far, so the CDs sit in the drive securely enough. It's nothing I'd do all the time though!
on 29 October 2010
I bought this after having continued trouble with the DVD disk drive that came with my Dell computer. I found that I was able to plug it straight into a USB port and use it immediately as a plug-and-play item. It didn't work the first time, so I just ejected the DVD and inserted it again. It has worked just fine after that.

Although drivers and a second USB lead are provided, I found that even my basic, 5 year old PC didn't need these - quite simply, the media player that came with it (Power DVD Player) and Windows Media Player recognise it as a 3rd disk drive. It is much smoother than the one that came with the PC ever was and seems better (i.e. the sound on DVDs is clearer and better reproduced). It is much cheaper than buying a replacement internal DVD, plus I don't have to pay someone to install it - sorted! Highly recommend this easy to use product.
on 1 June 2016
The device does work well it is just a bit noisy but that doesn't really bother me. I made the mistake of not searching the package properly and couldn't find the data cable though after checking again found it and the device works fine. The seller was also very helpful when I messaged them angrily before realising my stupid mistake haha
on 12 September 2013
So easy to use. you get a disc with it - don't know why because you don't have to install anything.
easy to use just plug in and use right away. great for watching dvds.
not tried games yet but I would imagine it would be fine also.
on 28 May 2016
I am sorry to say that this item would not work with my Dell laptop running Windows 10. I phoned the Victorian Systems and was advise to download VCL media player. I did not want to risk doing this as it may have upset the very large Library of music I have in Windows 10. I am sure that this item might work well in all sorts of situations but it would not work for me and is going back.Amazon were very good about the return and arranged a refund promptly.
on 26 October 2010
I wanted to be able to record movies from my home TV and play them back on my netbook in my campervan and this product enables me to do that perfectly. However, it is such a shame that the instruction manual is by no means 'idiot-proof' for an elderly technophobe like myself. After spending over 2 hours trying to connect the drive to my netbook I finally realised that what I thought was the 'connection' (don't know if this is the correct name for it)cable was, in fact, the separate power lead, which might or might not be needed. Once I had sussed this out (the manual not being at all explicit in this respect), I plugged in the correct cable and connected instantly. Such a shame about the wasted 2 hours, which resulted in a downgrade of my score from 5 to 4 stars, because the product is brilliant and does exactly what the manufacturer claims.