on 18 January 1999
This is the essential nineteenth century Italian classic novel. Manzoni shares many of the qualities of Scott, Thackeray and Tolstoy in the breadth of his vision and the way he plays with the conventions of the novel form itself. The sensibility of the novel is essentially Catholic,but Manzoni is far from a blinkered adherent ofall the practices of the Church: he has harsh portraits of cowardly priests and immoralnuns - famously the Nun of Monza - but he does reveal the operations of Christian goodness and effectively portrays redemption of the most wicked. The novel recounts the fate of two innocent young lovers who are separated by the lust-driven machinations of an oppressive overlord. After many a trial both physical and moral, they are reunited.
on 28 October 2002
Manzoni's "I promessi sposi" is a novel that melts historical elements with pure fiction elements. It's about two lovers, Renzo and Lucia, that were about to marrying when a rich and powerful man, Don Rodrigo, bribes their town's priest not to marry them. Then, Renzo is involved in many tales to make the wedding possible.
The novel was written after Manzoni's conversion to Catholicism, and there are several references to God's mercy. It also deals with social matters like bubonic plague, and implicitly polemizes with Austrian that were invading Italian some lands at that time. Manzoni's use of the language as witty as simple, because he wanted even more ignorant people able to read it without boring (most Italian population was analphabet then). If you are Italian you already read this book on school and can easily find it in any library, else if you are just interested in Italian culture, it's something you should read.
on 17 July 2015
Slow moving novel but, it is very well written and gives a lot of characters' background. It is worth a read but, I wouldn't necessarily regard it as a classic.
on 4 October 2014
This is just the most beautiful book written by Alessandro Manzoni.
on 25 March 2013
I mainly hate this kindle version because you cannot skip to the individual chapters using the square central button. It seems like a very cheap job they've done.
Ok it's a cheap version but reading quality isn't good. The book itself is good, I read it in high school and remembered it better than it appeared to be this time round.
on 18 December 2013
Chose this rating as it reflects the classic status of this book, beautifully written, can be opened at any page and enjoyed
on 25 October 2011
Being Italian I thought I would enjoy again a book I really loved when I was a school girl. Instead I found it boring and terribly outdated! I must have grown up! Sorry Manzoni (the book author) but times have changed!
on 25 March 2016
Superb!!!!
on 16 June 2014
I like James Patterson books anyway but usually only read the Alex Cross & Lindsay Boxer series. However, I chose this as it set in one of my favourite cities, Berlin. I loved the main character Mattie Engel and generally, it was a decent thriller. Very enjoyable!