5.0 out of 5 stars Merry Xmas Everyone!
Published 13 months ago by Doug McGrave

3.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant Bay Rum aroma
Published on 18 April 2012 by Steven J. Uttley

5.0 out of 5 stars Merry Xmas Everyone!, 26 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum Fragrance (177ml) (Personal Care)
I've been using this product a few days now and I have to admit I do smell a wee bit Christmas cakey, but what the heck, I like Christmas cake and I do like this fragrance. It's the only bay rum I've ever tried, maybe I'll try another sometime for comparison, but for the price and the amount you get, this seemed like the best deal going and I certainly have no regrets in buying it. Now if you don't mind, I've a sudden urge to roast my chestnuts on an open fire.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant Bay Rum aroma, 18 April 2012
As other reviewers have commented the bay rum aroma here is complimented by cinnamon and clove notes, and possibly other ingredients too. The bay rum aroma is however, for me, still quite apparent and the other aromas are also pleasant so the fact that it is not a single note bay rum is not a problem for me. Contrary to one or two reviewers on the US site I did not find this hugely overpowering or Christmas cakey. In fact it takes quite a lot to produce a powerful aroma, so just use as sparingly as you need. There are a couple of problems though; firstly it's not really an aftershave, more just an alcohol splash or cologne, so there's nothing soothing about it (unlike say with the Clubman aftershave range) if used following a wet shave - it just stings and that's it! The second problem is that, in common I understand with most bay rum based scents, it fades very quickly, one to two hours tops. Not long for a product which is not especially cheap at around £12 per bottle (in the UK) - at that price you can begin to pick up designer fragrances in special promotion deals. Nevertheless, it is a pleasant and masculine version of the bay rum fragrance and would be a safe choice with a wide appeal - certainly not one of those fragrances where people either love or hate it. If you can live with the sharp sting and rapid fade this is a very acceptable bay rum.

As an addendum I now (as of 13 February 2013) notice that the product has gone up to £14. While the above review stands I seriously question whether the product is worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bay Rum, 2 Oct. 2010
I have used this for over 50years... not everyones cup of tea... so to speak... but it makes me feel clean and fresh (for an old one)... without that heavy perfume hanging on... making it difficult for those in your company to decide who has it on... him/her!

5.0 out of 5 stars A REAL MAN'S SMELL..., 18 Jan. 2014
My Grandad wore bayrum and I always loved it.I have worn several different types over the years and really like this one,I am already into my second bottle.This is what barbers shops used to smell like.Splash it all over and smell like an old fashioned gent...unbeatable.

4.0 out of 5 stars no single other review covers what I think so I am writing this, 5 Jan. 2014
As per the title I have been motivated to write this because none of the other reviews would have told me what I wanted to know

probably the most important thing to know if buying as a gift is that the bottle is a cheap flimsy plastic, and not the kind of substantial glass that feels like a gift (I would still welcome it as one though)

the price is also quite a bit more than Pashana (which I have also used), but then perhaps this should be read alongside the fact that I would prefer this one to Pashana, even paying double the price. The notes in it are much more numerous than the other bay rum colognes I used in my life. quite whether you will like them before trying it, I don't know, but I think where people on here have mentioned 'christmas cake', I think that's fair enough. I've also thought of mulled wine - nice dark spices

I don't know who says the scent of this doesn't last. I guess it depends how much you use, and how long your nose can detect a scent it has become used to. my girlfriend and daughter pick the scent up several hours later - but I don't really expect cologne to hold so much scent to it - more to tone my skin after shaving (proper DE razor and silvertip badger, of course)

so, the review that would have helped me to choose what I wanted would say 'cheap flimsy bottle, but very rich collection of spices makes for a strong scent'

PS: whoever said Pinaud is an unheard of brand? This is my third different Pinaud aftershave, even if I admit I don't like the scent or feel of the other 2

4.0 out of 5 stars Gets better in a glass bottle, 23 Sept. 2012
Bought this as I fancied trying a Bay Rum. I tried it from from the plastic bottle and it was a bit disappointing. However I saw a bit of advice about decanting it into a glass bottle and over a few days it did change in character and became a lot pleasanter. I ave tried it from a glass atomiser as well and that is also good. I will try some others but I do like this one now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very strong clove smell, 24 Jan. 2012
I'm not qualified to comment as to the authenticity or quality of this bay rum, but I thought I'd warn that it's fragrance is overpowered by a powerful smell of cloves. I would not recommend buying this product if you do not like that scent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value cologne!, 5 Jan. 2015
C. Norgate (France) - See all my reviews
Having read positive reviews of this fragrance on various sites I was keen to give it a try. Yes, it comes in a cheap plastic bottle, and yes, it has a strong scent of cloves (which I happen to like). Will try decanting into a glass bottle to see if that makes a difference, as suggested. Have had no problems with it lasting through the day, either. Is a very pleasant, not overpowering scent. Will definitely buy again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good product, 16 Feb. 2014
Very happy with product. Have used on my hair to give my hair some needed strength and has worked well.
Highly recommend.

3.0 out of 5 stars will buy again, great smell, 10 Nov. 2014
Arrived on time and well packaged, nice fragrance, but does not last a great length of time partner like it so all is well