5.0 out of 5 stars A great buy!, 29 Nov 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Rhythm Nation 1814 (Audio CD)
I was unable to find this CD elsewhere so I was really pleased to buy it off here. This album is most like 'Janet' and not like 'The Velvet Rope' so it depends on what style of Janet you enjoy really. Of course some of these songs are also on 'Design of a Decade' but that should not put you off buying this CD because this CD features extended versions/slightly different versions to the ones on 'Design of a Decade'. With her usual combination of challenging social issues with a funky beat, and her lovesongs, this is an essential album for any Janet fan to have. Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A thought provoking and an album way ahead of it's time., 24 Feb 2005
D.S. HABERT (Bromley, Kent United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rhythm Nation 1814 (Audio CD)
This has got to be in my opinion one of the best albums ever made. Even after 15 years, the issues raised by Rhythm Nation are as true to life now as they were then.
So much research was done to bring the facts of real life to people's attention. The main songs you need to look out for are "Rhythm Nation", "State of the world", "The Knowledge" and the emotional "Living in a world they didn't make".
It was written at a time where talking about real life issues was the in thing.
One interesting aspect of Ryhthm Nation 1814 is the different musical styles in it. You have Rap, Hip Hop and oddly enough grunge rock, which you will find in the song "Black Cat".
There are also quotes in the album which also talk about the state of the world as it was then and still is.
My favourate quote comes at the very end of the album.
"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowedge and wisdom that separates us... Don't let your eyes deceive you"

5.0 out of 5 stars Janet and the revolution in music!!, 9 April 2009
S. J. Pinder "scifihorror fan" (Cornwall,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rhythm Nation 1814 (Audio CD)
1989, a year thatshowed us music was definately changing, as with society itself was changing. Madonna sang her masterpiece album Like A Prayer, Kate Bush released the stunning This Sensual World, it was inevitable Ms Jackson was gonna go the same route...little did we all predict how amazing this album would be.
this has to be one of the top 10 greatest albums of the 80's i have ever heard.
Control is Janet's masterpiece album, Rhythm Nation is definately Janet's revolutionary album.
complete with original and gritty songs with a range of sounds from R&B to punk rock and even a couple sensual songs too.
with sales of over 12 million it shows that Janet was definitley on her way up and out in the music industry matching the sales of Control and the success which would carry on with the stunning Janet. and The Velvet Rope.
overall this is a needed listen for everyone as much as Marvin Gaye's What's Going On was in 1971.
overall this is one of the greatest albums ever produced and the success definately continues through Janet,The Velvet Rope and All For You.
it shows how inspiring she has been for superstar Britney Spears and how feel good it makes you feel, even though this hasn't changed the world the lyrics really make you think about modern society...that and it makes you wanna dance every now and then.

10/10 GOLD!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Rhythm devine, 28 Feb 2012
This review is from: Rhythm Nation Comp. (Audio CD)
I bought this yesterday and it arrived 24 hours later good fast service but ...... it states on the package region 0 but it is region 1 please be careful....

This brings back memories of a fab album and a marvelous dvd. great stuff.............

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as her first album - but better than her third., 11 May 2010
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Rhythm Nation [VINYL] (Vinyl)
This was Janet Jackson's second and last album of the 80s.

I was still liking the sound of her music at this time - though I didn't like this album quite as much as her first - but still more than her third which was the last one I bought. This was probably due to the fact that her songs were getting ever longer and longer, and when an album exceeds an hour, I think it's just too much and becomes a little boring... Give me a standard forty-five minute album any day that you'll want to play more than twice in succession, than one like this that's so long, you probably won't want to hear it for another six months...

There are no less than SEVEN hit singles on this - four of which made the top twenty. In-between, the album has some pretty good material, but like I say; just a little overlong for my liking.

5.0 out of 5 stars The lovely JJ really can sing!, 17 Mar 2008
P. B. Koeb (Aljezur, Portugal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rhythm Nation 1814 (Audio CD)
Felt like writing a review of this one, after giving my copy a play last night. JJ's "1814" album is really worthwhile, successfully welding a "state-of-the-nation" social commentary and a good dance ethic.

JJ grooves her way through "Rhythm Nation", "State Of The World", "The Knowledge", and the irrepressible "Miss You Much" before slowing things down a touch on the tremendous "Love Will Never Do". (And is that Herb Alpert doing a trumpet intervention?) The poignant "Livin' In A World" closes out the original side one of the LP.

Then it's a question of going back up through the gears for "Alright", "Escapade" and the rockier "Black Cat" before my favourite part of "JJRN 1814". That is the breathtaking sixteen and-a-half minute "suite" of slushy songs which bring the album to a close. It would be impossible to tire of the majestic trio of "Lonely", "Come Back To Me" and "Someday Is Tonight". The last, in particular, is quite divinely sensual, with its synthesiser interplay and muted trumpet solo. They form the absolutely PERFECT late-night listening experience. A whole-heartedly recommendable album.

PS. Shock horror. Just took a look at the inner sleeve of my vinyl copy of this one. One Herb Alpert is credited with the Tijuana brass on "Love Will Never Do" and the trumpet solo on "Someday Is Tonight". Almost enough to justify a total reappraisal of the Herb's middle-of-the-road career!

5.0 out of 5 stars An album that brings society together!!!!, 28 Mar 2005
Lee B. J. Harris "janetfanatic" (Aylesbury, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rhythm Nation 1814 (Audio CD)
Janets 1989 release Rhythm nation (her 4th ablum) is an emense big seller shifting 14 million copies, but is this shocking? Not likely the album speaks to a person in so many ways that its bound to sell loads. This album is almost for everyone ranging from different artistic styles like Rock to hardcore dance. Although the main concept of the album is social issues that surround modern day, the record does have more contempary songs about nights out and love. The highlights of the album have to be (in my opinion) are "The knowledge", which is a song encouraging the path of education and effective it is, very inspiring. "lonely" is the other choice as this song speaks to me the most, there have been many a times when i have felt alone and that the world is against me. Listening to this song almost feels like janet is speaking to me personally and i then dont feel quite so alone (duno y), which many songs never accomplish with me. I feel it a definate plus if an album or song touches you. All in all this album is worth the price payed One of janets finest hours most certainly.

ARRAY(0xa68daf90)