4.0 out of 5 stars Buy the right one and make sure it's the siliocne cable NOT PVC, 18 Sep 2013
This review is from: Antex XS25 25W Mains Soldering Iron Silicone Heatproof Cable (Misc.)
I like the product because it did the immediate job intended of repairing some dry circuit board joints. I can't love a soldering iron for 5 stars. Used a smaller tip tho having purchased 3 different tip pack. May have been able to do it with standard tip but best be on the safe side as heat needs to be applied quiet accurately. You may need less heat for some applications and more for larger joints so make sure you pick the right wattage. Recommeded for diy's. IMPORTANT - strongly recommed the silicone cable over the PVC. May cost a couple of quid extra but you have much better control over the tip as your not hounded by a cable that wants to go somewhere else. Also make sure you use the cradle when resting and don't touch the spring wire it rests in as it gets hot!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent upgrade on my cheap soldering iron, 9 July 2014
Mr. Paul D. Maher "joey-chickenskin" (Nottingham NG7) - See all my reviews
I've been making guitar pedals for the last few months and have completed four projects succesfully with three circuits to debug. I've been using a 60 watt cheap soldering iron with a tiny tip but my guess is that one of my problems has been far too much solder leaking accross the stripboard gutters because the soldering iron was too hot and delivered heat too fast.

Advice on line seems varied and sometimes contradictory but there were a few votes for a lower wattage soldering iron and this model had a lot of good reviews for the price.

My soldering improved immediately. Stripboard is pretty unforgiving for clumsy hands and while I still run a knife allong the gutters, by eye there seems to be no overspill.

I didn't think that the chisel tip was ideal as a defult but gave it a go and actually it's good because the flat delivers heat to the strip and the tip heats up the component leg quickly and safely (I'm expecting to find some blown components in my debugging pile because of excessive heat from my old iron). In the count of two the solder flows into the heated intersection neatly.

I haven't tried the model without the silicone cable but the soldering iron is very light and I wouldn't want any excessive pull on it from behind so I can see why this has been highlighted as a feature.

This was the same price on Amazon as it was on the Amtex website but there were additional charges there for shipping if you want to save money.

I

5.0 out of 5 stars the best, 5 July 2014
had a few soldering stations, including weller and i keep going back to these antex, they just work as the should, dont over heat, nothing complicated to go wrong in them and tips are cheap, i have the 18w version too, get the silicone lead one its worth the little extra

5.0 out of 5 stars great solder iron, 17 Aug 2014
amazing. love this solder iron. Had a Hakko one from China but this one is way better. consistent head, and tip is small enough for delicate PCB soldering.