on 15 February 2011
This was the first CD by Blackmore's Night I ever bought a good few years ago and it still comes out at regular intervals albeit on mp3 now. Ocean Gypsy is one of my favourite all time tracks with Candice's vocals and Ritchie's instrumentals working to perfection. Yes, it's *extremely* romantic, and don't go near this if you don't like mandolins :), but I love the mixture of folk and electric sounds.
Blackmore's Night, as anyone looking here probably knows, is a project from Rock God Ritchie Blackmore (he of Deep Purple and Rainbow fame) and his wife, Candice Night. They aim to fuse Blackmore's rock leanings with romantic medieval sounds. This is their first album, released in 1997.

It's an interesting idea, and largely works quite well. It comes over as music from a time when ladies wore those funny conical hats and gallant knights went off on quests, with a modern flavour courtesy of Blackmore's guitar. It's all very romantic, and at times flirts dangerously with tweeness, but in the main it all works out well, mainly because of the occasional flash of humour that suggests that not everyone involved is taking it totally seriously.

Especially welcome is the presence of Ian Anderson on flute for Play Minstrel Play. Instantly recognisable, his is a welcome presence on any record.

It's a promising debut album, and I shall be looking for more from this group in the hope that they mature a little and expand their material. 4 stars for this though.
on 21 February 2014
I bought this when it came out not knowing what it really was. When I played it for the first time it was a bit of a surprise to say the least. Not really what I was expecting, here was one of my guitar gods and what was he playing? On subsequent plays I got it, this was Ritchie playing what he liked and doing it extremely well not only that the singer was pretty good too. I have subsequently bought all of the CDs by Blackmore's Night and have thoroughly enjoyed every one of them. There have been many snide comments made at this band by people who obviously have their own agenda. Just listen with open ears and you will hear some of the best music Ritchie has ever made. As the years go on with subsequent releases Candice Nights vocals grow more confident and better. With Blackmore's Night Ritchie has played some of his best ever music. I love Deep Purple, and Rainbow and this is just another chapter in the Ritchie Blackmore story. Yes I may be biased, I went to see them live and they delivered that night too.
on 25 October 2011
I heard the title track whilst listening to Last.fm, and thought 'Wow, this is great!'. Having then read the reviews on here, I was in no doubt about buying the CD. A blend of Elizabethan, folk and rock music, it's very easy listening music, and you can listen to this whatever mood you're in. Can't say there's any track I don't like - I love 'em all! I certainly want to purchase other CDs by Blackmore's Night, my only problem is which to buy next!
on 4 June 2011
I really appreciate this album for its artistry. Amazing musical skill is revealed in the stunning instrumentals, beautiful melodies and poetic lyrics! 'Shadow of the Moon' conveys a Celtic sound and spirit that feels timeless and transports you to other realms.
I stumbled upon the group while randomly listening to tracks on YouTube and I am glad I did. I really like this type of music and have begun my collection of all their albums.
Shadow of the Moon is very easy listening with excellent arrangements, playing and singing. There are plenty of tracks with Medieval arrangements that are really nice to listen to late at night with a glass of wine. I particularly like the arrangement of Greensleves on this album.
Overall another very likeable collection from this amazing group.
on 9 February 2012
This is my first Blackmore's Knight cd & will be the first of many as i have only come across them recently. How is that possible with a band as good as this?
The music is light, well written, tuneful and with lovely singing its impossible not to enjoy it.
It's one of those rare albums that however you're feeling before hearing it, you feel better after hearing it.
Thank you Blackmore's Knight for a wonderful album!!
on 10 January 2014
I've listened to Blackmore's Night snippets many time, and now decided to collect them all. I admire Ritchie Blackmore, his unique talent, musical visions and feels. I adore Candice' wonderful vocals which has similarities with ABBA's Agnetha and Anni-Frid, and then some Stevie Nicks.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 May 2005
This is a superb album. I have been a fan of Ritchie Blackmore for 20 odd years and he still don't let the fans down. His guitar playing is still as crisp as ever, yet opening up his diverse style into some new realms with his classic rock playing still coming through.
on 19 July 2009
If you enjoyed the music of Renaissance in the late 70's and early 80's with a tinge of rennaisance melody then listen to this album. I am really enjoying it with it's collection of catchy tunes, excellent vocal sound and top guitar sound. Give it a go.