4.0 out of 5 stars functional

Published on 8 April 2011 by JH

3.0 out of 5 stars OK for studs, poor for AC, 8 April 2011
JH "jh27" (UK, Cheshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Zircon StudSensor e50 Electronic Stud Finder (DIY & Tools)
I bought this to replace an ancient (30 year old?) detector which died. I paid a bit extra, didn't buy the basic model, hoping to get something a bit more accurate. It seems good on studs but poor on AC detection. If it says there is no AC there I would trust it but it is over enthusiastic in reporting the presence of AC. From the Guide; "AC detection can spread .. as much as 305mm from each side of an electrical wire". That's a foot! "To narrow detection, turn unit off and on again at the edge of where wire was detected and scan again".

So it's about as good as my 30 year old model. Ah well.

4.0 out of 5 stars functional, 8 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Zircon StudSensor e50 Electronic Stud Finder (DIY & Tools)
Bought this with some trepidation as reviews for these sensors seem to vary wildly, from "great" to "useless". However, after few initial puzzlements, I've found it accurate and effective. The trick seems to be (as always) read the b****y instructions! My experience with it is:if it doesn't seem to be working, go back and check which bit of the instructions you failed to implement. It's sensitive and wants to be used in the way it says and not in any other way (don't we all?). Seems well built but think a protective pouch might be a good idea. Overall, though, a good buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finds Studs., 13 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Zircon StudSensor e50 Electronic Stud Finder (DIY & Tools)
On several occasions I have needed to find wall studs. I read loads of reviews on different models, but so many people seem disappointed with their products that I eventually decide to do without one.

On this occasion I needed to mount a flat screen TV on the wall, so needed to be sure I found the centre of the studs. I eventually decided to by the Zircon Studsensor e50. When it arrived, I unpacked it, fitted a battery, and ran it over the wall. I marked where it said the studs were, and measured the distance between them, as the instructions say 41cm is common. My marks were 41cm apart. Drilled three holes for the bracket, screwed it to the wall, fitted the TV. Job done in 15 minutes.

Worked faultlessly for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, 26 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Zircon StudSensor e50 Electronic Stud Finder (DIY & Tools)
Found the joists above the ceiling first time! Easy to use. Instructions for use were clear and the sensor did exactly what it should.

5.0 out of 5 stars Zircon Stud finder, 20 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Zircon StudSensor e50 Electronic Stud Finder (DIY & Tools)
No more hit and miss, this stud finder works 100%, and I have total confidence in it. It's easy to use and well worth paying extra for.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your time, 21 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Zircon StudSensor e50 Electronic Stud Finder (DIY & Tools)
Useless. Even after I had confirmed where the studs were by drilling a series of holes the entire length of the 4m wall (30cm apart it turns out) the Studsensor gave no reliable, or even vaguely correlating reading, on either setting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best one I've used so far!, 5 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Zircon StudSensor e50 Electronic Stud Finder (DIY & Tools)
I bought 2 stud sensors before this one, one for a B&Q one the other was Black and Decker and this is the best! It is reliable as long as you move it slowly and follow the very simple instructions it has with it (which conveniently are also printed on the device in additional to the insert with the packaging).

It has a display to indicate whether it is finding a stud and also has a light and beeping sound to notify you, so all in all I think it is well put together.

It has two modes, deep scan and normal scan. I've always used it on deep scan without issues. When using it, be mindful of wires as these will throw it off.

Lost 1 star because I cut my finger on the packaging. Device is good!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 6 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Zircon StudSensor e50 Electronic Stud Finder (DIY & Tools)
Performed well, found the studs behind tiled wall perfectly. It seemed to pick up both edges of the stud so that the centre could be selected

2.0 out of 5 stars Good product, but didn't work for me!, 21 Dec. 2014
Jake H (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Zircon StudSensor e50 Electronic Stud Finder (DIY & Tools)
I bought this to assist with the wall mounting of a new TV, however it struggled to give accurate readings for my wall. Although I suspect this could be due to my wall, I had to resort to some good old fashioned knocking on the wall. Apart from that it is very easy and simple to use with great features like the LCD screen and the SpotLite pointer which projects a mark on the wall.

1.0 out of 5 stars This item is useless and does not do as indicated., 12 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Zircon StudSensor e50 Electronic Stud Finder (DIY & Tools)
This item is terrible. It bleeps and suggests there is a stud if you put any pressure on it whilst holding against a wall. It also indicates electrical source within a foot of the source (cable). Not ideal if you seriously want to use it for any real jobs. I was unable to use it to detect stud framework through a mdf board floor or a plasterboard wall.