4.0 out of 5 stars Funny, poignant, entertaining
Published on 14 Jan 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Darby and Juska
I would very much like to think that meeting Jane Juska would be as challenging (...and rewarding?) as reading this book. Whilst I would question whether or not, on her own evidence, the author was actually seeking adventures in romance let alone sex; nevertheless the book is a warm, intelligent and humorous look at life both past and present.
Jane Juska dips into...
Published on 4 Feb 2004 by Arthur Grun

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny, poignant, entertaining, 14 Jan 2004
By A Customer
Received this for a Christmas present and immediately dipped into it even though I was halfway through another book. I then had to finish it before going back to the original book! Initial thoughts - what on earth have I got in common with a 60-something woman? - were replaced by genuine entertainment and empathy with the feisty protagonist as she searches for 'a man I like'. She is honest, witty, open and refreshingly candid about the sex life of the over-60s (whoever knew they had it in them?!). The overriding impression is one of total honesty - she recognises her flaws but records them anyway.
This may not be Dickens but it is a very entertaining read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Darby and Juska, 4 Feb 2004
Jane Juska dips into her past either to set the scene for her current situation or to explore her reactions to it. There is much to be made of a Californian scholar with all the psychological baggage (Hints of child abuse, loving parents with no tangible way of showing it, repressive/conservative community) one has come to expect of a West Coast inhabitant.
However ultimately the book is less about romance and sex than good old fashioned self discovery with a dash of "two fingers" at convention. For all that, Jan Juska has a wry humour, easy going writing style and an ability to hold this reader's attention throughout.
The intriguing juxtapositioning of a woman with a newly rekindled appetite for sex meeting men of roughly her age who are impotent, dying or just plain desperate to prove themselves before succumbing to the ultimate reward of age is proof that feminism is alive and well in the land of its birth.
Whether we learn anything new about sex and romance in our twilight years is doubtful but, having found herself and largely come to terms with the outcome, I will continue to imagine that meeting Jane Juska would be a pleasure - to discuss literature of course over a glass of wine.
To paraphrase Jane Juska, the book fails to hit the G spot but is far better than one's own company.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book! Exactly what I needed!, 25 Oct 2004
Dr. Lisa Geiger (Boston, MA) - See all my reviews
Rather than pretentious, I found this book beautifully written from a perspective that I truly enjoyed! So much of what the writer wrote of her past and attitudes from childhood and puberty resonated with my history, and I hope I approach 67 with the same grace, insight, and courage.
Really a delightful book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Touching Biography of Personal Growth, 9 Nov 2007
Migmot (Portsmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
If you are looking for a seedy, trashy novel then this book is not for you. Instead, this is a wonderfully written book about a woman's personal growth, learning (in the autumn years of her life) who she really is, what she needs from the people around her and whilst travelling miles for good and bad sexual experiences. I would, and have, highly recommended this book to others.

3.0 out of 5 stars Reality Television for the Literate, 10 Feb 2004
takingadayoff "takingadayoff" (Las Vegas, Nevada) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
How does a person write a revealing memoir like this and still have the guts to go out in public? A Round-Heeled Woman reads like a personal diary. So I have to hand it to Juska, it took courage to write this book.
I was expecting a light-hearted memoir of adventures and misadventures in dating, with the twist being that the heroine is 67 years old. This memoir is occasionally light-hearted, but more often depressing, when Juska reminisces about her lonely childhood, or her even lonelier marriage. And when she starts dating again, after placing the personal ad, well, sometimes, I just wanted to shake her. She goes out with a series of men who are unsuitable in one way or another. Married, loopy, or just plain bounders. But she gives every one a chance and then some.
A Round-Heeled Woman is like watching reality television (but with an English degree), and I have no one to blame for reading it all the way through except myself. I just couldn't look away.

3.0 out of 5 stars good'ish, 19 Sep 2004
By A Customer
A very interesting book, well written but a touch pretentious. However, as a tale of a real event it was witty and incisive - a very brave woman to write about her journey to sexual fulfilment.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK-ish, 6 Feb 2008
Juska's memoir is certaily frank and a refreshing change from the sexploits of more youthful women. Although I would recommend it if you are looking for something with more depth than say, for example, 'Girl With A One Track Mind', I found some of this memoir somewhat pompous in places, for example, when Juska joins a choir and goes into unnecessary depth about the entry process. But at the same time, would have liked to know more about the creative writing she taught in prison. The sex scenes are quite graphic and almost technically medical (problems with lack of lubrication and impotence) which might be due to the fact that we are dealing with older people, but overall, I would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stupendously funny story, 25 Sep 2011
I purchased this book after hearing about in on morning TV. I received the book quickly and set about reading and didn't put the book down - read it in about 3 days (have to go to work too!). It was heartwrenching, funny and eye opening and changed the way I want to conduct my life - I am 60 years of age and found it very inspirational. A truly great read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Where there's hope, there's life!, 28 May 2010
Woolgatherer (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I found this an absorbing read. It wasn't just about sex, the back story of Ms Juska's life and diversions, such as her experiences in San Quentin, were interesting insights into her personality and her willingness to try and help others. Her wry comments on her adventures in New York, particularly at the Berg Collection were amusing. She is honest too, her use of amphetemines and struggles as a mother are exposed, just as much as the frailties of the men she dates. For me this was far more about one person's pursuit of happiness than it was about sexual adventuring, and she showed how that pursuit, whether successful or not, can help give meaning to a life. Sometimes her style was overly convoluted, probably due to the influence of Trollope, but that was a small price to pay for such an inspiring story.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Read, 21 Nov 2003
By A Customer
I had finished this within three days of receiving it. Had previously read review in The Mail which caused to buy it.
Not as raunchy or descriptive as I had expected but great fun and an easy read.
Very very well written and a must for middle aged ladies thinking of embarking on romantic adventures.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›