5.0 out of 5 stars All-time favourite
Published on 22 Jun 2001

2.0 out of 5 stars Uninspiring, I'm afraid to say...
My first Amazon review and I'm afraid to say it won't be glowing.

I was looking for some light reading and having recently enjoyed some historical fiction (Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel) a friend recommended I try a Sharpe book. Having never read one I thought I'd give it a go and started with this. I was sorely disappointed.

Wooden characters, lame...
Published on 7 Jun 2010 by Mr. R Robertson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars All-time favourite, 22 Jun 2001
By A Customer
Sharpe's Enemy is the first "Sharpe" novel I ever read, some twelve years ago. To this day it remains my all-time favourite, not only in this series but of any historical fiction. It contains all of Cornwell's best creations in terms of characters: in addition to Sharpe himself we see the indestructable Patrick Harper, the formiddable enemies Obadiah Hakeswill and Pierre Ducos. There is the "Lady" Josefina, and Sharpe's Spanish wife, Teresa. Two new allies are also introduced in this story: Major General Nairn, and "Sweet" William Frederickson who will both have important roles to play in later stories. Harry Price is there, as drunk as ever, and even Hogan and Wellington himself put in brief appearances.
In Sharpe's Enemy, there are, as ever, enemies on both sides. It is Cornwell's gift to depict complex characters which really come to life, and we expect nothing less from the master of this genre. However, in addiction to the excellent plot, and fine description of war in the Napoleonic era, this story has an extra touch of humour which is sometimes lacking in the others. This is not to say that readers, old and new, will not be deeply moved by the novel's ending.
In his Historical Note to the novel, Cornwell apologises for distorting facts somewhat. It is true that Sharpe seems to pop up in just about every major battle, and indeed many a casual skirmish, of the era, but the quality of the writing always seems to overcome these unlikely coincidences.
This is an essential read for any fan of Richard Sharpe, whether you are new to the series or not. In fact, my advice to any new readers is to start with the original series (Sharpe's Eagle was the first) before going back to the more recent "prequels".

4.0 out of 5 stars An Exciting Fictional Story of the Peninsular Wars, 15 May 2009
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
I highly recommend that you read Sharpe's Enemy in the order of the chronology that it reflects. Although this book was number six in the original publication sequence, Sharpe's Enemy is fifteenth in chronological order of events.

As the book opens, Sharpe receives an unexpected message that changes his expectations quite a lot. He also gets a surprise when he's asked to evaluate a new unit, one employing Congreve's rockets (a la The Star Spangled Banner). From there, he is asked to perform the dangerous task of delivering a ransom for Lady Farthingale . . . without much expectation that this will work. Ever vigilant, Sharpe realizes that he will need to keep his eyes open for a possible later rescue. The ransom attempt brings two big surprises.

As the story develops, Sharpe finds himself in a typically uncomfortable position operating under a leader who is a fool and treats Sharpe with contempt. Eventually, the story develops into an extremely imaginative battle sequence that will keep you on the edge of your seat.

Before the book is over you'll find your emotions going up and down like a yo-yo. It's great fun.

My only complaint about the book is that Mr. Cornwell mostly ignores actual history in developing his story. As a result, the developments lack the impact of realizing that amazing sequences are pretty close to what actually happened.

Pay attention to your instincts!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Supreme Sharpe Story, 10 Jan 2003
Steven A. Pettyjohn "qaci" (Westlake, OH United States) - See all my reviews
I have read all of the Sharpe novels. This is the best. I take it out on a cold winter night every couple of years to find a cast of truly remarkable characters who have become old friends: the indestructable Patrick Harper and the rest of the Green Jackets: Harry Price is there with the Red Coats: evil and dangerous enemies Obadiah Hakeswill and Pierre Ducos: the incomparable "Lady" Josefina; Sharpe's incredible wife, Teresa; Two new allies appear in this story: Major General Nairn, who is introduced in one of the most hilarious and outlandish accounts in any of the Sharpe books, and "Sweet" William Frederickson,a thoughtful intellectual looking for a fight; Hogan and Wellington and a courageous French colonel who allies himself with Sharpe round out the cast. This book has humor, action, adventure, and tragedy. As a new Major, Sharpe shows that he can outthink and outfight his enemies, both foriegn and domestic! It is the supreme Sharpe story!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 7 July 2014
Great reading

5.0 out of 5 stars I like it..., 18 Jun 2014
It's pretty subjective really...If you like Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe novels, you're going to like this...Nuff said...Oh, & cheaper than getting the bus into town to the book shop.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Cornwell success, 13 Feb 2014
This review is from: Sharpe's Enemy: The Defence of Portugal, Christmas 1812 (The Sharpe Series, Book 15) (Kindle Edition)
Well written with a close relationship to Wellington's Iberian war. I can recommend this book, Sharpe is the soldiers Soldier.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sharpe present, 1 Dec 2013
My son loves history and watched the entire series and started to read the first book and ended up reading the entire series

5.0 out of 5 stars sharpes enemy, 19 Nov 2013
I have read and enjoyed this book so decided to purchase a copyas a birthday gift for my son. the copy I received was not the one I ordered. it was in a very poor condition and x library with new jersey free library stamp inside and library card pocket glued on back page. not suitable for a present. amazon have kindly given me a full refund and the book has been donated to a local charity shop.This would not put me off buying from amazon again your customer care is excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 10 Oct 2013
I am reading all the books in date order and found this one so good that I want to go onto the next one and it is stopping me reading all my other authurs

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't read a lot but, 11 Sep 2013
I really like sharp the tv series but the books open the vision of what must have been good fun to make

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›