Format: Audio CD|Change

You've got to love her really haven't you and with
her new album 'Aphrodite' what's not to love?!

The twelve tracks in this collection confirm what
we knew already : Ms Minogue is at the very top of
her game and she's going nowhere else anytime soon.

This is incandescent pop music! Bright and shiny,
economical, unaffected and totally convincing.
The fact that you can dance yourself senseless almost
all the way through it is a big bonus too!

Despite the involvement of a horde of worthy writers and
producers Stuart Price keeps a firm executive grip on the
steering wheel and delivers an exciting and coherent sound.

When one listens to something as perfectly constructed
as opening track and single 'All The Lovers' we know,
despite the familiar verse/chorus formula of the thousand
other songs which it echoes that this one will force itself
ahead of the pack by virtue of its glorious sunny sincerity.

Ms Minogue's voice has never been the most powerful or
technically proficient instrument in the business but
it really doesn't matter a jot. There is such joyous
honesty in her performances that the limitations become
invisible and irrelevant. She does exactly what's necessary
to bring the songs to bright and bouncy life. A true star.

The punchy electro-pop ambience becomes her. 'Aphrodite'
makes a credible and creditable contribution to the genre.

'Put Your Hands Up (If You Feel Love)', too, will doubtless
be setting dancefloors alight across the land very soon.
Writers Dow-Smith, Nervo and Nervo have fulfilled their brief
effortlessly in creating an ecstatically upbeat anthem which
fits the classic Kylie mould like a jewel-encrusted glove!

Final track 'Can't Beat The Feeling' is the whole knickerbocker
glory with extra cherries, whipped cream AND chocolate sprinkles!

Ms Minogue is a trooper, a fighter and a positive force in a
darkening world. She deserves our unconditional affection.
'Aphrodite' is the icing on the cake of a commendable career.

Essential.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 16 January 2016
all the lovers
get outta my way
everything is beautiful
aphrodite

when kylie's much anticipated 11th studio album crashed straight to number 1 in the uk album charts, it gave her the accolade of being the only female artist to have a number 1 album in the 80s, 90's, 2000's, and 2010's. and after all these years, shes still cooking up fantastic pop music.

opening track and smash hit single all the lovers is a fantastic slab of dreamy pop and just gets better with every listen. get outta my way is classic kylie which sounds like spinning around, love at first sight and wow have been popped into a blender to create this catchy ditty.

the albums darker moment, closer, is a creepy electro dancetrack with pulsating harpsichord whilst the gorgeous everything is beautiful, penned by tim rice oxley of keane, is both stunning and sexy. the title track 'aphrodite' samples her own track 'heartbeat rock'live arrangement from the X tour, and is a fiesty anthemic pop powerhouse with a thumping military drum which would have marched it up the charts if it had been released as a single

all in all this a brilliant album for pop fans, it was packed full of potential singles, its also really cohesive and the tracks slide into each really well. an excellent addition to the kylie cannon!
on 2 July 2010
Kylie returns with a very solid new album... it is a very cohesive and unified collection this time out. 2003's Body Language and 2007's X suffered a little because they strayed a little at times away from Kylie's pop/ dance strengths towards light r'n'b and both sets weren't helped by poor lead single choices - slow was never a good idea as a single but it was an interesting album track and 2 Hearts was misleading- many would have been forgiven for thinking she was going experimental with a rock/ indie sound again like she did unsuccessfully in the late nineties. Still, both albums had lots to offer her fans but Kylie is really at her best when it's pure unadulterated, feel good disco/ dance pop she delivers.

Fever was the last time Kylie got it totally right and she has done it again with Aphrodite- the album plays totally to her strenghts- its crammed full of uptempo, beat heavy dance tunes. Parlophone are already planning for an 18 month long/ 5 single promotion and you can see why... the album is crammed full of potential singles.

All the lovers is Kylie's best lead single for an album since Cant Get You Outta My Head... unlike slow or 2 hearts, it really sets the tone for the album this time, it's a good barometer for whether you'll like this album.

My personal faves so far:
Illusion is an insanely catchy tune with single written all over it, the melody is so catchy.

Aphrodite is a real feisty, "survivor" anthem penned by the hugely talented Nerina Pallot.

Mighty Rivers is a great chilled, laid back, summery track... a great bonus.

Get Outta My Way.. the next single, might take a bit to get going, but it's very catchy when it does,

Everything is Beautiful is a great mid-tempo, breezy track.

Cant Beat The Feeling is another feel-good uptempo anthem.

All things considered, this album should see Kylie being a bit more commercially successful than her last two albums were... it might be critiqued for being samey, all sounding the same, but yes, the album is unified and has a definite sound, but it works, just as it did on fever - kylie always does well when she serves up unapologetic dance/pop.

A real summer album to enjoy.
77 comments|26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 23 December 2015
I love this album, sounds far richer on vinyl, especially new vinyl. The discs are far thicker than they used to be, but they don't have that new LP smell they had years ago, probably better for the environment, but what a smell. Memories.
on 7 February 2014
"Aphrodite" is the album you may have well been waiting for if you miss great pop albums that work as a whole these days. Yes, Kylie Minogue, in her 40's now and past various setbacks threatening to end her career, is as alive and kicking as ever.

The 2010 summer album is at least up to par with anything she has put out so far. Track for track, it is arguably even better than the acclaimed "Fever" and "Body Language". No duds here. The smooth opener "All The Lovers" gets out of the way for the belter "Get Outta My Way" - a joyful celebration of anything that pop music and disco means. Great hooks continue to abound, from "Put Your Hands Up" to the closer "Can't Beat the Feeling".

Highlights include the hypnotic but quite short "Closer" and "Better Than Today", co-penned by Jake Shears of Scissor Sisters. OK, don't expect any deep messages. If you want any, go to U2 or Joni Mitchell. This slant here is pure pop, guilty pleasure maybe, but reminding of good old times and at the same time very new. Songs and rhythm.
33 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 July 2010
Well I have to say that I used to be a massive Kylie fan back in her early PWL days - 87 to 93. When she went all indie I just lost interest - then she went all cool with De-Construction and although this was a slight improvement - was still not interesting to me.....then she reinvents herself as a sex kitten (well, she always was AND IS) and spun us all around with more dance - much better stuff and for the next few years things were ok...but over the last 5 or 6 years I have lost interest...what with 'Body Language' etc....UNTIL NOW. Aphrodite is FAB - only got my copy yesterday and I'm loving it already - my fave track has to be 'Closer' - its fantastic - very dreamy n mysterious - LOVE IT!! This is Kylie at her best again - and I am really happy for her! Hope she brings 'Closer' out as a single - though I do love 'All the lovers' - Get this now.....
Kylie goes from strength to strength, this CD has some GREAT songs on it.

The album is also a great reminder of her live show she did back in April 2011 which I went to see. :-)

Fantastic album for any Kylie fan, I know I love it. :-)
on 9 August 2011
I am a fan from Kylie since the year of 2000, when I listened to "Can't Get You Out Of My Head" on the radio and thought: "this song is really good, it will certainly become a world hit". And I was right (as I was with Simply Red's "Money's Too Tight To Mention", in the 80's). But, for me, the only CD that really works is "Fever", maybe because it contains the track already mentioned and some others that I love. I saw Kylie live when she came to Brazil, I already bought my tickets to see her on a 3D movie experience and have all her live DVD's. Even with all the major (or minor) changes in the songs' arrangements, I love all the DVD's, with no exception, from "Live In Sidney" to "X 2008". I have no doubt that I'll buy "Aphrodite" also, just anxious for it to be released. I heard "Aphrodite" before buying it, and it was clear for me that no CD will ever beat "Fever", so I gave up. I love Kylie, she is gorgeous, her smile is inspiring and her personna is a must. Love you, Kylie.
on 1 September 2010
I just wanna say that if you are a Kylie's fan or you just like Pop/Dance music this album is a MUST.
You will enjoy every song from the begining 'til the end, starting with the amazing All the lovers and going through Outta my way, Closer, Better than Today, Aphrodite, Cupid boy and Can't beat the feeling (Those songs are the ones I like the most)
I do not particularly like Illusion and Looking for an angel but they do not take this album down.
The DVD is a good aditional but it could be better since it includes the Making of "All the lovers" but no the video.
The videos from the American tour are good but they are a mix from previous performances. It would be better to have "Better than Today" performance which is obviously more related to this album.
Anyway, the whole package is great, the packaging, the songs, the DVD and that is why I am giving it 5 starts.
I can wait for the Aphrodite's tour!!!
Kylie, you did it again, you R O C K!
on 3 May 2013
This was also purchased as a gift for my brothers birthday. He is a big fan of Kylie's & loves all her music. He likes edition as it has a combind CD & DVD pacage. This allow him to not only listen to her songs but also to see some of her work & concert performances on scrren through the DVD. He would encourage others to buy this also as he thought is was a very good gift to receive.