5.0 out of 5 stars Latest FLA album
If you're a fan of FLA, this album does not disappoint. I put it in my personal CD player when I'm on the move - it gets me motivated. Yes, I know, I-pod not my thing! Is interesting trying to work out what the samples are from. Brilliant album.
Published on 5 Jan. 2011 by Ms. JM Brice

3.0 out of 5 stars FLA turn into another band...
Sorry guys, but I started out liking you because you were so 'electronic sounding', and this move to be more band-like just removes a lot of what I enjoyed in your music. I'll stick to listening to the earlier albums.
Published on 9 Dec. 2010 by S. Tidey

5.0 out of 5 stars Latest FLA album, 5 Jan. 2011
Ms. JM Brice "Janni" (Bath, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Improvised Electronic Device (Audio CD)

4.0 out of 5 stars The most interesting and personal FLA album to date, 9 July 2010
This review is from: Improvised Electronic Device (Audio CD)
I've been following Bill Leeb and Rhys Fulber's music projects for over 10 years now and I'm always looking forward to their new material especially Bill Leeb's Industrial/EBM project Front Line Assembly. FLA's music is always evolving and changing but they're still able to keep their identity maintained so l didn't know what to expect from I.E.D.

Improvised Electronic Device features the line up of Bill Leeb, Chris Peterson, Jeremy Inkel and guitarist Jared Slingerland. Long time partner Rhys Fulber was set to participate but scheduling conflicts got in the way but even without the presence of Rhys the album does hold up well.

The result of this album is very interesting because it's like a follow up to Millennium than Artificial Soldier, it has a distinct "band" feel with it's Industrial/metal sound and a level of consistency that makes the whole album work rather than a collection of tracks. There is a great use of beats, synths and the Bass this time is absolutely pounding!!

The songs have a great production and nice use of more space in the mix but these song have some of Leeb's most personal moments on a FLA record with subject matters of Death, Salvation and the controlled generation of today. The track "Angriff" marks the first appearance of personal elements as it's about Bill Leeb's Mother who fled to Russia during WWII and FLA's first visit of the country being fascinated by the symbolism and the Industrial Revolution.

But the biggest surprise on this album is the track "Afterlife" a song about the passing of Bill Leeb's birth father whom he just met a few weeks before he died. It has the most personal lyrics Leeb has ever sung and it's the closest thing to an FLA Balled with moody acoustic strumming, piano keys, distorted beats and hallow sounds with a touch of Delerium makes this a truly beautiful track. It's my favorite track on the whole album.

Well why have l rated the new album 4 stars it's because I'm nick picking; for instance the track "Stupidity" featuring Al Jourgensen from Ministry is just out of place on this album, it's not a bad song, it has great drum programming and l think it's great that they dedicated this collab track to Wax Trax's CEOs but it sounds too much like Ministry and l would of enjoyed I.E.D. more if this was a bonus track.

I got nothing to really complain about I.E.D. it's not perfect but it's FLA's most interesting album in a long long time. FLA is truly becoming a "band" instead of just a musical project and I.E.D. absolutely deserves a listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent offering from F.L.A., 26 July 2011
This review is from: Improvised Electronic Device (Audio CD)
This is another excellent offering from Front Line Assembly. It's better than Artificial Soldier, the tracks are more varied. The only track I didn't like was No.9, but I just deleted it from my music lib and now I have 9 great tracks to listen to! Keep up the good work, guys - it just goes to show there is some great music in what has become an increasingly banal music scene this past few years.

4.0 out of 5 stars Report from the front, 22 Sept. 2010
D. L. Wilkinson "Dean" (London,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Improvised Electronic Device (Audio CD)
This must be fla's fourteenth or so album proper by now.My first was caustic grip in 1990 (god how time flies).The thing with fla is to expect it to sound like fla and it does.That's no bad thing though,they have their sound and instead of changing it too much bill leeb would just form another band to explore any other paths.So far he's had fla,delerium,synasthesia,intermix,noise unit and equinox.
There is a big return to the industrial crunch of millenium but there are also some excellent dance tracks like 'shifting through the lens',also a single,one of their best ever tracks for me,and the track 'afterlife' shows a softer reflective and melancholic side,like delerium with fla style gruff vocals.
It's a solid fla album and doesn't sound old or tired like some established bands and they are still coming up with lovely melodies coiled around mechanical structures and electronic pulses.
If you like fla you should like this.If you like skinny puppy,ministry and nine inch nails and good industrial music you should like it as well.
p.s.I love ministry but the al jourgensen produced track does sound a bit out of place here.

3.0 out of 5 stars FLA turn into another band..., 9 Dec. 2010
S. Tidey "FlameButt" (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews

Improvised Electronic Device
Improvised Electronic Device by Front Line Assembly (Audio CD - 2010)