4.0 out of 5 stars True Story
Published on 26 May 2006 by nosurfindurham

2.0 out of 5 stars dog eared
this vinyl arrived dog eared (corners squashed) it had been well packaged by amazon so it must have been like it before it was shipped. the place packed it like that. not impressed.
Published on 9 July 2010 by Oliver

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars True Story, 26 May 2006
This review is from: Based On A True Story (Audio CD)
I love this album, it makes my subwoofer sing - the bass is so rich, deep and fluid. These guys are really quite unique, I don't know if they conform to any genre. If I had to make one up it'd be something like neo-dub-soul. Basically, they sound a bit like Slightly Stoopid but more experimental, a lot more soulful and basically they're better. The only reason I don't think this album is worth 5 stars is that all the songs are about 7 minutes long and I believe that really great songs leave you wishing they were longer. To be fair, that's probably a bit harsh, I just don't want to give 5 stars to an album unless it blows my mind. This is damn good though - excellent for bbqs. Bring on the summer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Based on a true story, 28 Feb 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Based On A True Story (Audio CD)
I'm not a musician and so not qualified to write a particularly academic review of this album. What I can say however is that if you are like me and look for jazzy, soulfull stuff with a big bassy line running through; then this is for you. I heard of this band when I jokely asked someone to suggest music I might like better than that crafted by the almighty LTJ Bukem, and amazingly, the suggestion by my Kiwi wannabe mate has come close. The blend of good vocals, trupets and sax make it. Flashback followed closely by Roady is what I'd go for. Just. A good buy and easily worth a tenner!

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Background music', 20 May 2006
This review is from: Based on a True Story (Audio CD)
I strongly oppose the other reviewers' desciptions of this as 'background music' and 'easy going' - this music is beautiful, soulful and powerful with reggae, hiphop, jazz, soul and ska inluences.

Don't underestimate it! I fell in love with the album after one play and stand out tracks for me are 'Roady' and 'Dark Days'.

But this album - it is truely beautiful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Favourite album of the year so far, 16 April 2006
G. M. Bradley (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Based on a True Story (Audio CD)
Such a fun sound! If you're bored with the usual brat-rock fare thats around at the moment, and want to listen to something different, I seriously recommend this album. There's a loose reggae influence throughout, which sounds dubious but really shines through in the second half when mixed with big drums, guitars and rich vocals. Easy going but genius!

5.0 out of 5 stars World famous in New Zealand, 2 Jan 2010
Iain Mercer "old greg" (Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Based On A True Story (Audio CD)
Imagine my suprise to find that this album had no rating or review!!!! I discovered FFD whilst travelling around New Zealand (yes they are a kiwi band)in 2006 and four years later this album still regularly finds its way to the top of my play list sitting happily with Vampire Weekend, Lemon Jelly, Bloc Party and Dylan to name a few. World famous in New Zealand for the single Wondering Eye this album is a true gem where every single stands on its own two feet.

I can best describe their music as a cross between reggie, ska, jazz and funk, similar to such bands as the Black Seeds and Cat Empire.

This is a must buy album that wont disappoint.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic music, 11 Sep 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Based On A True Story (Audio CD)
As a long time FFD fan, I'm delighted to see their first-ever studio album make it onto the Amazon site. FFD are just the coolest dudes, who really have the X-factor. Their music is a smooth soulful jazz/dub fusion, which is a real joy to listen to and appeals to people of all ages. These guys are so well known in NZ for their fantastic live performances that this eagerly awaited album (self-produced and marketed) went gold there the first day of sale.
This is a keeper, which gathers depth on every playing.
Try [...] for music samples, and if FFD ever come to a town near you to do a show, don't miss it!

5.0 out of 5 stars good roots reggae with ocassional diversion to other places, 17 July 2007
Mr. J. Roche "shinobi1kinobi" (Jersey Channel Islands UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Based On A True Story (Audio CD)
i have just got this album and am listening to it as i write this review.
this album is really good.
well worth a listen.
really well written and arranged songs.
interesting lyrics
good production.
nice subtle and simple horn progression that sound authentic to the genre.
nice mix with other sounds and fusion with other genres not normally associated with reggae.
fender rhodes, moog sounding synth. funk, blues and a dance music sounding track or two (but not too heavey).
good fairly soulful lead vocals and harmonies. nice arrangment of vox. well recorded. bright. clean.
sweet!!!
As a musician/producer and reggae fanatic. I really apreciate this well balanced, sweet sounding and soulfull reggae-ish.
Nice one. Keep the tracks rolling in. :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous, Funky, Groovy, 29 Nov 2010
This review is from: Based On A True Story (Audio CD)
This band is practically worshipped in NZ and if you give them a chance you will NOT be disappointed. Oh so smooth vocals, funky trumpets, a little bit reggae, little bit electronic and a little bit dub. This is music you won't ever get sick of.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lush!, 7 Aug 2008
This review is from: Based On A True Story (Audio CD)
This has to be one of my most favorite albums i've bought in a long while. I like to see my taste in music as largely eclectic, i'll listen to anything once and that's what i did with this album... i knew nothing about the album or (less importantly the band) but by the time the first song "ernie" was over i knew i was going to love this album.

Fat Freddy's Drop (FFD) are from New Zealand, they wrote, engineered, produced, mastered and distributed this album off their own back - with no label. which for me is quite interesting as it's a mantra that definitely fits the tone of the music. This album is defiant, smooth & groovy and beautifully performed. the style of the band is really relaxed - almost as if they've jus sat in a room with people they know and love and jammed out an album - no rushing, no edit's and no artistic restraint - jus feel good tunes that are easy to connect with

this album in particular has done really well in the charts internationally with the album itself being in the NZ charts for almost a YEAR! and other tracks hitting the number one spot for months when all told

nuff of my opinions - jus listen!

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the sweetest voices i've heard in a while, 15 Jan 2007
Mr. Sa Marriott "samthepunk" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Based on a True Story (Audio CD)
this album is packed with soul full reggae and ska with hip hop to boot and many more influences i'm sure. my sister has been banging on about them since returning from a stint down under and i saw them at sonar in the summer where they got me hooked. this album is perfect to play when all else fails. i especially enjoy walking along to it, brings colour and confidence to every step of ur journey. if ur a fan u probably already have it if ur not a fan, u will be when u buy it! this room as a stand out tune and this album is never off my mp3 player. buy it, enjoy it, fall in love with his voice.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›