4.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected
Published on 20 May 2012 by gawayne

1.0 out of 5 stars I'd rather watch paint dry!!!!
Kamui is one of those very rare films where..... you switch it off out of complete boredom and annoyance!!! Oh yes the film is so dire that I didn't even want to waste a further hour of my life so I switched it off halfway through!!!
Published on 23 April 2011 by selma_hepburn

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected, 20 May 2012
Previous reviews temporarily put me off buying this film, but when I did it was nothing like as bad as expected! Probably if I'd expected it to be brilliant I would have been disappointed. If you are expecting a bona fide ninja film or top class action sequences then you will be disappointed. The film is best in the non action areas and the story is good and well acted. It is an effective drama with plenty of emotion and a little pathos. It is nowhere near as bad as some of the reviews make it out to be and I can recommend it.

1.0 out of 5 stars I'd rather watch paint dry!!!!, 23 April 2011
This review is from: Kamui - The Lone Ninja [DVD] (DVD)
Being a MASSIVE martial arts fan and particularly of those from Japan AND also a Kenichi Matsuyama fangirl I had high expectations for Kmaui. There I was expecting something between Death Note and Azumi but in the first 5 minutes I knew I wasn't going to be getting that at all. Firstly all the fights scenes I managed to watch were truely terrible because they were simply CGI generations without any skill being involved. Too many wires and dodgy graphics were used to make up for the fact that none of the actors knew the first thing about screen fighting. Frankly it was painful to watch! Then there were many unecessary uses of CGI... running deer in the woods, birds, back flips... all things that would have been better shot in live action and probably a whole lot easier and cheaper too!!!
But the main down point (as if the shoddy fake fights weren't bad enough) was the truely hateful narrative. This lone Ninja gets into a couple of scapes, gets washed up on some island and saves a bloke called Hanbi who was sentenced to death for cutting off some lord's horse's leg. Personaliy I would have been happy to see Hanbi get a good beheading for that so Kamui saving him seemed really pointless as you ahve no real sympathy for the charcater's imminent death. Then as they escape by sea they are attacked by sharks (yes attacked by awful CGI sharks) and THEN saved by pirates... ooohhhh yesss sharks and pirates in a martial arts film! The excitement was just too much for me at this point *uses sarcastic tone* and I decided to eject the disc and put in Kitamura's Verses instead... now that's entertainment!!!!!
How one reviewer claimed this was a wonderful ninja film I will never know... if you like trashy rubbish or are a hard core Kenichi Matsuyama fan go ahead and watch it. If you actually want to do something more wortwhile with your time go and watch paint dry cause it would sure beat watching this rubbish!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 6 Nov 2011
A. Murphy (Dorset, England England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kamui - The Lone Ninja [DVD] (DVD)
I agree totally with Tabula Rosas review. The front of the Dvd says " probably best Nibja film ever". A ninja film with hardly any fighting !Boring throughout and never gripped for a moment. Worst Ninja film is better title.

2.0 out of 5 stars Laughable cgi and unnecessary story, 9 Mar 2011
The start is cheesy but forgivable and some great classic mystical ninja traits and special attacks, very anime. But before long cool fight scenes end and so ensues a crap love interest and some boring story that almost seems like a filler from an anime, though you have to see the CGI sharks for a laugh. The end is disappointing the final fight scene is so anti-climatic I was shocked it had ended. Not worth your time and the blu-ray quality is meh.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, not amazing either, 3 Oct 2010
L. Chow (ACT, Australia) - See all my reviews
I was hoping this title would be a movie to keep or dying to see. The feeling it gave me was a bit confusing - I didn't hate it nor did I was really amazed by it.

It kinda fell short of my expectation...

The story - it was good, the typical ninja story: kill or be killed. It's about a boy who was trained since a young boy to be a ninja assassin. When he grew up he didn't want to kill anymore so he ran away. So there it begins a circle of other ninja assassins trying to assassinate him.

The narrative was interesting in the beginning - it was a mixed of still montages and scenes. But the story got a bit slow in the middle. It got into the emotions of Kamui when other characters came into his life.

I was hoping for a bit more action, it did have action - loads of running and jumping and flying around. The visual FX is so appalling. It really reminded me of the classic Godzilla film where the motions just looked superficial. I don't think they even tried to hide the fact that the VFX wasn't great.

I think I had so much expectations before seeing this film, I was quite disappointed when it didn't deliver. I was expecting this to be as good as Dororo [DVD] [2007]. I did enjoy the story, just the execution falls a bit short for me.

A 3 out of 5 from me.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful, dreadful movie, 15 Aug 2010
This review is from: Kamui - The Lone Ninja [DVD] (DVD)
Having been suckered in by the review quote on the front of the DVD, ("the best ninja film ever made") I was immensely disappointed to to experience this inept, poorly structured and painfully amateurish film, which wanders all over the place before ending on a dour, grim and unsatisfying note with a rubbish fight scene thrown in.

Run away!!

1.0 out of 5 stars I'd rather watch paint dry!!!!!!!!, 23 April 2011
If you like trashy rubbish or are a hard core Kenichi Matsuyama fan go ahead and watch it. If you actually want to do something more wortwhile with your time go and watch paint dry cause it would sure beat watching this rubbish!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Kamui The Lone Ninja, 24 Jan 2011
Konnichiwai
This is an EXCELLENT film for an introduction to the life and culture of the coastal villages of medieval Japan.
The choreography and scenery are stunning.
We have a vauge story about a shinobi (ninja)who escapes from his Ninja village retreat and bonds with a another from the same village who has the skills of a kunoichi (woman/ninja). There are unpleasant sequences of a horse being killed and shark hunting, which are expertly done and are vital to the 'plot' The story continues with the two stars being hunted by ninja from the village of Iga, this cumilates in a fight to the death, which is really quite well done. The action in the film is excellent, except from some 'wire work' - but it's the genre nowadays. It IS, a good down to earth representation of medieval ninja, light years away from modern black 007 hooded figures.
numerous in films now and of which all critics are 'experts'
I am a tutor/writer for Colleges and Education in the UK. I read and speak Japanese and I teach Ninjutsu and practice fully, Ninpo.
sayonara

Kamui - The Lone Ninja [DVD]
Kamui - The Lone Ninja [DVD] by Yoichi Sai (DVD - 2010)