5.0 out of 5 stars Riveting viewing
This is probably one of the best series on the Universe you could ever wish to see.

I remember seeing this on TV and wishing i could have it as a complete set, Now i can and have. I'm also an amature Astronomer so anything like this series fascinates me.

Published on 21 May 2011 by Peter

2.0 out of 5 stars Trashy, noisy and obviously aimed at teens.
Published on 14 Sep 2011 by Andyvon

5.0 out of 5 stars Riveting viewing, 21 May 2011
This review is from: National Geographic: Extreme Universe [DVD] [2009] (DVD)

It's narative is clear and not dumbed down like so many are. I would class this on a par with the BBC Horizon series, It's that good in its presentation.

The 5 part series covers the Extremes of the universe using earth as a base line for comparison, So you can appreciate the scale thats being described and your mental picture of what is happening is easy to grasp.

The graphics are amazing, The explanations are easy to follow, Your not bogged down in minute details that get you can get lost in after 10 seconds. This series is new and fresh in it's approach, It's not a rehash of images and footage you have seen a thousand times before, Nor does it wander off into realms of fantasy where you think, This is so boring you want to switch off.

I watched all 5 episodes in one session.
I'm now trawling through the listings for more of the same from National Geographic.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Astronomy Documentary I Have Seen!, 23 Mar 2011
Fantastic documentary!

SIX informative, and at the same time thrilling episodes that cover every mystery in the known universe.
Compelling narration by Dominic Frisby, accompanied by a grand panel of astronomers, including familiar faces like Phil Plait; An intriguing, enthusiastic and entertaining astronomer, who's currently active with his own one-man show "Bad Universe". Others include Steve Jacobs, who has been in many other documentaries and does many experiments in this series - you can almost say that he serves as co-host (next to Frisby) of the series since he leads the way with experimenting and is ever-present in all six episodes, Geoff Marcy, An astronomer highly praised for his work regardning the search for exoplanets and alien life, David Halfind, A big-bearded genius, who time and time again, through this series, does exellent in trying to explain how the cosmos functions through many explanations and experiments, he's my favorite!

Robert Hurt, Lynn Rothschild, Peter Schultz, Mike Brown(the guy who helped demote Pluto to a dwarf planet), Juna Kollmeier and the list goes on and on...

What I especially love about all of them, is that they genuinely seem to love to be in the series! We all know those series where the invited experts just sit on their behinds and talk without even having the courtesy to smile or seem interested. Well, this is not one of them!!! Nearly every one of them are running around like mad, trying their best to show us how it all works! During one experiment, David Halfind finds himself on the ground counting grass on a football field just to prove a simple point! - Now that's what we viewers like to see, they're spoiling us!

And all of these beautifully implemented experiments relly helps you to quickly understand what they are all talking about, in a series where the images are flying past you and you have to think fast to keep up! That is where "Extreme Univers" succeds. They ask questions, answer them and then it's on to the next subject before you know it! But don't fear - they really cut it to the bone at the same time > trust me, you'll know what I mean when you see it for yourself.

A load of stunning animations, computer generated graphics and live pictures along with the action-packed voice of Dominic Frisby takes you on a mindblowing journey through the immense Cosmos!

- In "Is Anyone Out There?" we look at the possibillity of discovering alien life and learn about what we'll do if we do discover it and how we will communicate with them. Alien invasion is also discussed.

- In "Collision Course" we take a look at the most violent collisions and encounters in the Universe. When planets, stars, asteriods and even galaxies collide they stand as the most dominant events of the Cosmos, but as apocalyptic they may seem, they also contribute to establish order out of chaos.

- In "Space Storms" we take a trip through the Solar System to observe the most majestic storms and the craziest wheather you can think of. From a moon with a methan atmosphere to 17,500 km/h winds raging on the biggest of planets.

- In "Edge of Space" we go farther than ever before to study the borders of the solar system, and the inhospitality of space and our own oceans. Plus we consider the conditions for life on Earth and beyond.

- In "Time Bombs" we take a step backwards to both admire and fear the most incredible events that can take place on Earth. Volcanic erruptions, earthquakes and tsunamies are all among the most frequent threats to the human race. We can't control them.

- In "Star Gates" we take a look on how our ancestors managed to make observations of the sky count, and how they by studying the stars, the sun and the moon took mankind's understanding of everything to the next level and helped build the foundation for space exploration in the future.

The only complaint I can make is that I'm confused where the episodes "The Biggest and the Smallest" and "Speeding through space" went? Those episodes are every bit as amazing as the others featured on this DVD - Therefore I'm very disappointed and baffled not to see them here - But it's ok... the six other will just have to suffice.
BUT STILL!: By far the best space/astronomy documentary series I've ever witnessed! Thank you National Geographic! 10/10.
PS: Yes, there are English SDH subtitles, they proved to be vital for me.

2.0 out of 5 stars Trashy, noisy and obviously aimed at teens., 14 Sep 2011
This review is from: National Geographic: Extreme Universe [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
I'm sorry, but this DVD is awful. I've been a member of the NGS for years but I keep wondering what's happened to the Society in the last few years. Certainly it seems that NG documentaries have 'dumbed' right down and I think it's to attract the current generation and their 10-second attention spans. This DVD is no different and it is obviously aimed at teenagers rather than those of us who enjoy a relaxed and mature presentation.

Each episode consists of a series of photographs and GCI images which flash on and off the screen at the rate of about one a second, starting immediately the episode begins. The images are continually accompanied by a loud synthesised beat, over which the narrator has to shout in what can only be described as a continually excited manner. One episode is dedicated to the question of life forms that might exist on other worlds. This of course is complete supposition and the CGI aliens that march, crawl and stare at us from the screen would do any Steven Spielberg film proud.

I could only watch a few minutes of each episode before finding myself having to switch it off. Each time the resulting silence was noticeable and quite a relief! We never had to endure these kinds of visual and audible assaults from David Attenborough documentaries so why do documentary makers now insist upon such a poor approach to presenting their subjects? One of the earlier reviewers states that this DVD is "Exciting and not so boring you want to switch it off". Another says that "It's not bogged down with technical detail". Well, don't they just about say it all?!

There are plenty of similar documentary series available which have been produced and are presentated with relaxed, intelligent, professional and adult approaches. This however, is not one of them. It probably appeals to the X-Box generation and those who like American trash, but I feel I wasted my money. The DVD has joined other items ready for my local charity/thrift shop next time I go.

2.0 out of 5 stars Ok for kids, 12 Jun 2011
This review is from: National Geographic: Extreme Universe [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
One of the earlier reviews of this series said that it wasn't dumbed down. What absolute nonsense. The subject matter is interesting at the heart of it, and the examples chosen are fascinating, but MY GOD it's sensationalized! The cutting rate is enough to give you epilepsy - for the most part cuts will not exceed one second - and accompanied with more swoosh, and whoosh, and big drums than your average Hollywood trailer. The scientists talk to you like you're in kindergarten, and the programmes even waste time to show banal little sequences of how "conditions on other worlds" would treat a chicken or a toaster.

If you're looking for a serious astronomy series, stay well clear of this one. You'd do better going for the "Wonders collection" with Brian Cox. "Extreme Universe" would work well on kids, I guess, but I don't know if I want to encourage a one second attention span in mine...

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 28 Aug 2014
great thanks

1.0 out of 5 stars Whys is there still zoning?, 25 Sep 2013
This review is from: National Geographic: Extreme Universe [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
This is zoned - when most TV series I purchase aren't. So I haven't watched it yet seeing there is only so many zone changes you can have on your computer.
Why oh why do some movies or DVDs still have zoning when there are so many ways to get content?
I feel I am being punished for being good and buying the series up front instead of getting it other ways. I am very frustrated by zone requirements.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extreme Universe DVD, 23 July 2013
This review is from: National Geographic: Extreme Universe [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
I bought this National Geographic DVD for my son as he enjoys watching these types of programms on TV. He enjoyed this very much.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's okay, 9 Sep 2014