5.0 out of 5 stars Great sword and sorcery yarn
Published on 4 Jun 2010 by PJ Rankine

3.0 out of 5 stars Watchable but not essential viewing.
Published on 6 July 2010 by N. Thompson

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sword and sorcery yarn, 4 Jun 2010
PJ Rankine (Wallington, Surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Solomon Kane [DVD] (DVD)
I approached this movie with no prior knowledge of the Solomon Kane character created by Ron E Howard and I have to say found it to be very enjoyable. Solomon Kane is an Elizabethan adventurer disinherited by his father for disobeying his wishes who has an encounter with the Devil's reaper from which he just escapes with his life. He takes refuge in a monastery, gives up all his wealth and swears to a life of peace in an attempt to redeem his soul. He is obliged to leave the monastery and promptly gets mugged because he won't fight. Saved by a family of puritans he encounters an army of evil doers who attack them and abduct their daughter. Solomon once again takes up his arms and sets off in pursuit to rescue her with her father's promise; that saving her will redeem him, ringing in his ears. There are no light hearted moments in this film and England is presented as a dark and miserable place even though some of the wintry settings with a light snow blowing in the air are beautiful in their bleakness. James Purefoy is well cast as the hero and does a convincing West country accent in keeping with the setting of the film. I think anyone who enjoyed Lord of the Rings will enjoy this too, the villains are even reminiscent of orcs with their bald heads and rotten teeth. The largely British cast do an excellent job and the weapons and settings look authentic enough for me. The film is presented in full screen and the print is so good that it really isn't worth buying the blu ray version. The soundtrack is full on and stirring as you'd expect for an adventure film like this. There were a few extras on my disc, a short making of, the trailer, film clips, soundbites and a twenty minute 'B roll'.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent dark fantasy romp, 22 May 2010
This review is from: Solomon Kane [DVD] (DVD)
Extremely dark sword and sorcery adventure with a strong central performance from James Purefoy and some impressively gritty production design, it wasn't quite as good as I had hoped but I am a fan of the short stories and thus had high expectations, it was let down slightly by the ending which was a little truncated i thought, but hopefully it will lead to a sequel.

Bassett takes an extremely dark approach to the material, playing it admirably straight throughout - there are no witty one-liners as Solomon dispatches his enemies, for example. There is more sword than sorcery in this flick but it is well done.

James Purefoy is excellent as Kane, his natural charisma and charm compensating for the fact that Solomon is hardly a white knight. There's also strong support from Rachel and Patrick Hurd-Wood, Pete Postlethwaite is excellent as usual and Max von Sydow, who works his usual magic.

It was a shame that some of the best sorcery/demonic scenes were (from my POV) at the very start of the film, the demonic mirror scene for instance was very well done and then the final demonic scene felt a bit rushed but still enjoyable for all that.

If you like dark sword and scorcery flicks then you wont be disappointed, as it's certainly a cut above the better B movies I have seen.

4.0 out of 5 stars Watch Kane again and again, 29 Jun 2010
Soo Broo (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Solomon Kane [DVD] (DVD)
I had never heard of Robert E Howard or Solomon Kane before, but I like the fantasy genre, I'm a fan of James Purefoy and the blurb about the film made it sound quite interesting.

Having no preconceptions at all, I thought it was actually pretty good. It was dark, violent and brutal as others have said, and most of the film is set in either freezing or sodden conditions with the characters wallowing in mud or soaked to the skin most of the time which added to the hard, unforgiving feel of the film. There is no love interest, no light hearted characters and no comedic relief at all which is actually quite refreshing in a film that didn't need any of that. There were echoes of Lord of the Rings at times - the Balrog for example and vaguely Ork like creatures, and a little Van Helsingy occasionally, but not enough to make real comparisons.

James Purefoy was really good as the protagonist - suitably lean and muscled enough to make you believe he could have been a brutal killer, yet able to portray a slightly softer and kinder side as he searched for redemption in a new, violence free life in order to save his soul. The supporting cast were good - I especially liked Pete Postlethwaite - and it was generally all pretty believable. Not too sure about being crucified, then pulling your nailed hands free let alone sword fighting afterwards, but that's artistic licence I suppose.

Really good generally though, and I hope there's a sequel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Witchfinder General With A Hint Of Lord Of The Rings - Best Genre Movie Of This Year So Far....., 4 July 2010
Adam Jackson "Symphonic Metal Fan" (Stoke On Trent , England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Solomon Kane [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
It's all about opinions of course but it baffles me that anyone can rate this as a one star movie!
This was easily the best genre movie that I have seen this year; I first saw it in Leeds with the girlfriend at the rather excellent Light cinema, and then purchased it on day of release, on the Blu-ray format. For me it's a better movie than the slightly under whelming Clash Of The Titans and I rate it as a better overall movie than the admittedly visually stunning Avatar. Even the girlfriend enjoyed it - and that's some achievment :-)

The tone of the movie is great, playing out in the dark 1600's, in an England plagued by religious paranoia, poverty, lawlessness and superstition. Think Witchfinder General and you wouldn't be far wrong. It never gets too heavy handed but doesn't skimp on the darkness of these times. The villains are really dark here in a gritty fashion that recalls the Mordor/Orc elements of Lord Of The Rings. There's plenty of action of the violent sword play variety with enough heads & limbs lopped off to sate the more bloodthirsty viewer. The supernatural elements are used sparingly, to greater effect, but do include various demons including a fire demon that is very reminiscent of Peter Jackson's Balrog and a very ominous character known (for good reasons) as the Devil's Reaper. It's not a monsterfeast like Clash Of The Titans but there are more than enough otherworldly foes of assorted sorcerers, possessed warriors and demonic creatures. Certainly the 40 million dollar budget has been well spent!

Direction is tight and the movie is well acted; I particularly liked Peter Postlethwaite and Jason Flemying. Indeed Flemying's evil sorcerer, Malachi, positiveley oozed malevolence. Purefoy is excellent as the conflicted hero and one hopes to see him return in further installments. Apparently this is the first of a planned trilogy but I guess so much depends on box office receipts....

Musical score is decent. Ok it's no Gladiator or Conan The Barbarian, but at least it's a solid score rooted in Late Romantic traditions and free from the intrusion of Rock instruments & their ilk.

The movie looks stunning with lots of vivid greys and blues that depict a land ravaged by evil. Blu-ray only enhances the look of the movie with it's great attention to detail and atmospherics with misty fields, snowfall and rain soaked battle scenes reminiscent of the under rated 13th Warrior. So much clarity & sharpness, it's a great transfer and it looks equally as good during the more hellish scenes of fire & brimstone.
Extras are more about quantity than quality and seem to be identical to DVD. I have yet to listen to the commentary track but would expect plenty of revealing info. The deleted scene is a rather perfunctory fight in a cave that the main cut doesn't miss at all. Whatever, I bought this for the Blu-ray experience and was richly rewarded. One extra I did enjoy was the all too brief section on the music score for the movie.

In conclusion, a superior Swords & Sorcery movie with a gritty feel. Possibly too dark for children but one which all fantasy/action/historical fiction fans should greatly embrace.

For fans of Witchfinder General, Blood On Satan's Claw, Sword And The Sorcerer, Hawk The Slayer, Beastmaster, Excalibur, Lord Of The Rings, Beowulf, Pathfinder, The 13th Warrior etc...

My greatest fear was that this movie was going to be like the dire Van Helsing and thankfully, it's anything but!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars absolutely wonderful, 11 July 2010
M. H. Andersen (denmark) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Solomon Kane [DVD] (DVD)
This movie is just so good..the actors are awesome , the story is very exiting. If you love The lord of the rings, you will realy enjoy this...moore please.

4.0 out of 5 stars The promise of 80's fantasy forfilled, 25 May 2010
M. Bradley "Keeper Garrett" (London UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Solomon Kane [DVD] (DVD)
I have never read the original books but have read a lot of the fantasy swords and sorcery genre and sure have watched a lot of rubbish straight to DVD fantasy movies so I have to say I was mightly pleased with Solomon Kane.

For a low budget fantasy film, it actually delivered a good round story and dynamic stints of action.

James Purefory was excellent playing the tortured soul and managed to carry off the action hero bit.

It was a pain to track down a cinema showing it, but I found the film entertaining and containing some solid story telling . I left the cinema with a little spark of hope that the Hollywood "powers that be" would make a sequel to expand on the Solomon K folklore.

3.0 out of 5 stars Watchable but not essential viewing., 6 July 2010
N. Thompson "Beaker" (Hull, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Solomon Kane [DVD] (DVD)
Despite the talented James Purefoy, as ever, turining in an excellent performance in the lead role, the film itself lets him down. Dont get me wrong, this is not a terrible movie but it is not a great one either. Its your typical standard comic-book style action-flick that is entertaining enough but I doubt I will watch it again. In my opinion the film needed to be a little deeper and a little more complex. In a similar way to the Hellboy films, this movie is as average as you can get.

The production is decent, the script acceptable for the genre, the acting is good enough but the story and the complexity of the characters lets the whole movie down. I cannot think of any sigle particular aspect of the movie that is especially bad, but neither is anything outstanding. This is basically a bog-standard action-flick. Watchable but not essential.

4.0 out of 5 stars Michael J Bassett's Solomon Kane, 23 May 2010
Mr. T. R. Allen "Terry Allen" (Redditch , UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Solomon Kane [DVD] (DVD)
From the title of this Review you'll already see the angle I'm coming from I'm sure . I think there have been so many preconceptions about this film since Howard fans started discussing it a couple of years back that it's impossible to review it as an REH film for one reason only , it isn't one . Even less likely is that a Howard purist will give it a good review because they aren't going to like it at all . It's MJB's SK , or possibly we could call it a pre-REH SK film , because that's what it really is. I'm very much a half-full glass guy so hardcore Howard fans probably won't agree with some of what I'm saying but I've tried to review it from all sides.

As a swashbuckling , fantasy , sword and sorcery film I think it works very well . There are some slow moments and it's possibly too grim and gray for the general populace but genre fans should be happy with it . If any one goes thinking there will be laughs along the way , or cheesy moments , or goofy side-kicks thankfully they'll be extremely disappointed - this is a serous film.

Purefoy is excellent he goes from a murderous evil man , more on that from the REH perspective soon , to a repentant one to one who against his wishes picks up his sword and pistols to save the girl . At this point he pretty well becomes REH's SK and reminds me of his endeavours tracking down evil in Howard's stories.

Very few of the other known actors get to show of their skills to much , they all do the jobs they are asked to . Rachel Hurd Wood is the only one that really is involved and does a fine job .

As a fairly low budget indie film it really looks good on the screen, the sets , costumes etc.evoke the world SK lives in , without a lot of money to spend it's nice to see real battles , swords clashing without wondering what's CGI or not , apart from the end where the Balrog/Satanic Transformer entity appears.

Time to look at the problems REH fans have with it . The origin - new characters these days it seems, have to have an origin story .Personally the idea doesn't bother me one way or the other in most cases , but the real problem is that REH didn't write one so Bassett had to. He gets the blame for this but in interviews both he and Purefoy have said that they didn't want to do one but the distributors, in the US in particular found jumping straight into the character from the books difficult to accept. Thus the challenge was met head on and the origin yarn developed using the Poems as a springboard . So everyone has to accept that and get over it.

SK being a murderous evil man , I admit I did cringe a little at how he was portrayed at the start , as well as during the young SK sequences but those [the young SK scenes] had to be there for the denouement near the end . As for SK's evilness at the start much as been made of the fact that REH didn't say he was ever evil and both Bassett and his critics pick out certain parts of poems to make their points , Bassett takes the poems to the extreme perhaps in that as well as leading ungodly men doing foul deeds he did the doing ! To my mind this is all interpretation , Bassett took things one way his critics the other , only REH could say what really happened . From the films POV it is much more powerful I think in that anyone unfamiliar with SK will not like SK as he starts off in the film and possibly hope he get's his comeuppance . However as the film progresses they'll should become more sympathetic towards him.

Another problem is that in one of Howard's stories it says he was always a good man , obviously Bassett's doesn't portray that but near the end I think we get the impression that as far Bassett's concerned this is the start of his life as we know it , now that's possibly stretching it a bit for REH fans , but it is setting up the real SK for the sequel.

Finally one misconception that seems to be going round that SK sold his soul to the devil which the reaper came to collect , without giving anything away he didn't.

To my mind anyone who likes this type of film will enjoy this , any Howard fans try and take off your goggles and see it , you might enjoy it for what it is - if not the SK you know. I really hope that the film is successful enough to green-light the next film as I think that with Bassett , Purefoy etc. involved I have great faith that it could well be Robert E Howard's Solomon Kane on the screen next time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great.Forget the negative reviews!, 29 Dec 2010
This review is from: Solomon Kane [DVD] (DVD)
This is an awesome film. The look of the film is fantastic, the cast is also. I was particularly pleased with the Christian slant of the story, which I don't think would be off putting to those who are not interested in that type of thing, but which I found refreshing. Hope there is more to come

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark and Sexy, 24 Dec 2010
This review is from: Solomon Kane [DVD] (DVD)
I have been waiting for this film for a couple of years now.It had a brief showing at the cinema which I missed so I broke one of my golden rules by pre ordering a film with out watching it first. Being a big James Purefoy fan I couldn't wait to watch it and I wasn't dissappointed, I was gripped by the first few scenes. Fantastic CGI,super acting, action packed film.

Solomon Kane [Blu-ray]
Solomon Kane [Blu-ray] by Michael J. Bassett (Blu-ray - 2013)