5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Product
These tiny speakers deliver amazing sound. I was expecting the speed and attack, but not the richness and depth. There is more bass than you would think possible. However the most amazing quality is the clarity. I find I am hearing new aspects of music I have heard dozens of times.
Published on 26 Nov 2010 by Mr. C. S. K. Walls

3.0 out of 5 stars Need to be significantly improved to justify premium price
Having recently purchased the Creative GigaWorks T20 Series II for my laptop from Amazon, I am able to do a direct comparison with the MM-1 speakers which I also own. The good points with regards to the MM-1's are that for near field listening, they are very good. Build quality is superb. Do they sound much better than my Creative T20's which cost 1/8th of the price. Not...
Published 16 months ago by Snoopy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Product, 26 Nov 2010
Mr. C. S. K. Walls (Chippenham, Wiltshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bowers & Wilkins MM-1 Hi-Fi Stereo Computer Speakers (Electronics)

5.0 out of 5 stars Mind blowing!, 8 Dec 2012
I wasn't sure if spending so much on a desktop speaker was a good idea, I already had the Bose Companion 3 speakers, which cost £250. So I wasn't sure if these would be any better, oh how I was wrong - they are mind-blowing! I previous had a high end HiFi setup worth £1500, but sold it due to never being able to turn it up, so I got these for my office and they genuinely have the same hifi quality sound to them, I had almost forgotten how good hifi sounded.

I have a Creative X-Fi card, so tried both the USB (Digital) connection, verses using the aux input from the X-Fi soundcard, the result was that the digital input (using the MM1s D to A Converter) was significantly better.

So the added bonus is I can also sell my soundcard to cover the cost!

Overall so pleased, Easily 5 stars and well worth the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous sound and design, 29 Dec 2010
S. Hopper "Simon" (Surrey, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Lucky enough to be given a pair of these as a Christmas present. The sound is incredible for its size, really good luxuriant base tones but also with superb upper range crisp treble. The main powered unit does get a little warm but I've not experienced any problems with this (will update in 3 months time). They also look really good and my only gripe would be the cost, but then they were a present so happy all round !!!! ;o)

5.0 out of 5 stars Hi-fi for your desktop, 5 Mar 2013
S. P. Long "Simon Long" (Cambridge) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
These speakers are almost ridiculously expensive! £400 for a pair of tiny boxes, 6" high and 3" deep, that sit on your desk? Surely they cannot possibly be worth that kind of money?

Well, I'm afraid they can. These are B&W's answer for people who want PC speakers that sound musical, rather than the usual shrill treble and artificially-enhanced thudding subwoofer bass. These are not for gaming, or for watching movies (although I'd imagine they'd be just as good for those activities) - they are for listening to music. If you are a hi-fi buff who despairs of the sound of typical PC speakers, these are for you.

They are active speakers in the hi-fi sense of the word - one amplifier for each bass and treble driver, with a DSP crossover. (This is expensive technology such as is found on serious hi-fi speakers.) They can be connected via USB to a PC or Mac, thus bypassing the soundcard in the PC, but I am using mine with the line out of a Sonos music streamer, playing lossless rips from my CDs. The highest praise I can give them is that I have just sat here for the evening playing album after album as I worked at my PC, and not once did I feel there was anything lacking in the sound. Every PC speaker I have heard has annoyed me - either there's too much hum and hiss, or the treble is too shrill, or the bass has only one note and doesn't integrate, or there is no stereo image and the sound is a mess. But with the MM-1s, I just sat and enjoyed the music.

They are designed as near-field monitors - don't expect them to fill a room with sound. They seem to perform best about 2 feet apart, with the listener sitting about the same distance away. They don't produce ear-splitting volume, but the sound is natural and effortless, with well-separated instruments and vocals, a smooth treble (after they have run in for an hour or two) and a firm, musical bass. The bass doesn't get as low as on full-size hi-fi speakers, but what there is integrates well with the rest of the music.

Don't think of these as an overpriced set of PC speakers - to do so does them a disservice. These are a hi-fi that you sit close to, and in that role, I've not heard anything to match them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great solution, 5 Dec 2012
I have had these for two years and they remain a great solution if you want to listen to music from iTunes and/or while working. They do sound best in the near field range so wont fill a room as much as some products. Value is great when you consider you get dual drivers in each enclosure, amp and DAC all neatly packaged.

About 6 months ago I bought a DAC for my main hi-fi which I can drive from a laptop using Pure Music software. Pure Musicsi [...] bypasses the sound output from iTunes itself and supplies a much cleaner signal to the DAC and you can certainly hear the difference.

I then tried Pure Music on the desktop machine in my study, along with the MM-1s, not expecting to notice much, and because I had already purchased the license. Well, the improvement is amazing. Clearly demonstrates the reserves of clarity these little units have. PM is not cheap but I strongly recommend any MM-1 owner to try it. There is a 30-day demo period available. You will be amazed!

If I had to re-construct my entire hi-fi environment on a low budget, MM-1s + Pure Music would be the way to go.

4.0 out of 5 stars These are a grower..., 3 Oct 2013
I bought these on the strength of all the glowing reviews on the net.

Coming from an aged 5.1 creative system I was initially a little disappointed with the sound that these speakers gave - there's certainly less low down bass due to the lack of a dedicated sub-woofer.

Over time however, I've grown to appreciate the clarity of the sound from the speakers - certain music sounding sharper and less muddy than my old creative system. They push out reasonable amounts of volume and the bass is 'acceptable' at higher volumes. Due to the size of the speakers and the allowable positions there isn't an all enveloping sound by default- you are always conscious where the sound is coming from. I've tried angling the speakers slightly upwards, pointed inwards etc. but the sound is always 'directional' and it's hard to get the sweet spot. I found that if I bought my head down to the level of the speakers and about 1ft in front of them then I got that surround sound feeling.

I have these plugged into my PC via the USB port thereby using the the DAC built into the speakers - I haven't tried using the speakers plugged into the on-board sound from the PC so can't comment on the quality of sound via that route. Having said that, I'm happy with the sound via the USB route and haven't felt the need to investigate the other method of piping the sound signal to the speakers.

I haven't experienced any overheating issues that other people seem to have mentioned - yes, the top of one of the speakers get's warm during operation but not to the point were you would burn your fingers.

The speakers are nice and weighty although the black fabric material seems a tad loose. The plastic remote is comfortable to hold but lacks a certain heft that you would expect for such a premium price tag.

In terms of ergonomics it would be nice if the speakers came out of stand-by automatically when you switched the computer on - at the moment they require you to turn on manually via the remote or the switch on the side of the speaker. This is particularly a pain when playing games on the PC (particularly battlefield 3), if you forget to switch on and load up a game there is no sound when you take them out of standby. You have to quit the game and go back to the desktop so that windows recognises the now powered-up USB speakers. This problem might not be so bad if they are connected via the 3.5mm jack but you still have to take them out of stand-by manually.

The cable connecting the two speakers could also do with being a little longer - at approx 1.5m I found that I couldn't space the speakers out wide enough to get the sort of sound I wanted for my room.

These speakers will suit people who want that little more in terms of sound quality and clarity and not those who are seeking room shaking bass. Are they worth the considerable price? I'm undecided - I don't regret buying them but I'd probably try something else next time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best sound for my PC ever, 11 April 2013
Had a lot of top quality speakers for my PC before but none of them compare to the tone, range and quality of these.

I know they're hellishly expensive but if you listen to music on your computer they're well worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning in every respect, 16 Oct 2012
J. Harrison "Jammer" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I love these. The review could end there but I think they deserve more. One, they are small so I feared that they wouldn't deliver on their promise but I was so wrong. They deliver at low, medium and high volumes and the detail of the sound is simply stunning. My only tiny gripe is that I wanted to extend the reach between the left and right speakers and to do so cost me £16 for a 1M extension. I did feed back to B&W that their literature fails to mention the length of the supplied cable anywhere in their pre-sales bumf or their supplied documentation.

They also look great in a subtle "confident" manner. If you can spare the money (life's too short!) then go for it - you certainly won't regret it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice speakers, but is the DAC necessary?, 15 Nov 2012
Given all the hype concerning how poor PC sound is, and the necessity of having an external DAC via USB to bypass the PC's soundcard, I decided to do some tests when my MM-1s arrived. I connected the speakers both via the USB connection and via the auxillary input, using the supplied 3.5mm mini-jack cable, and then I used the Windows control panel to switch between the two inputs. I found very little difference in the sound. The digital input (via USB and using the MM-1's DAC) seemed better at handling the 'hiss' of some of my 1960's classical recordings, and there was (perhaps) a slightly 'cleaner', less 'raw' sound than the analogue input (via the mini-jack cable from my PC's sound card), but I doubt if this view would stand up to a blind trial. The results were the same when I moved from my HP desktop to my Sony laptop. Both machines boast 'Realtek High Definition Audio', which a lot of PC users must have on their computers. Given the choice, I would rather have paid £100 less and not had the internal DAC ... but they are great sounding speakers, with a small footprint on my desk, and no subwoofer to kick under the desk. They also power down automatically when the PC shuts down, when connected via USB, which is useful ... and the warm top to the right speaker is nice for warming your finders in cold weather.

5.0 out of 5 stars but I wanted a pair of smallish satellites with some bass impact and good midrange and these were recommended to me by a ..., 5 Aug 2014
I am quite picky when it comes to computer speakers, but I wanted a pair of smallish satellites with some bass impact and good midrange and these were recommended to me by a friend in the industry. A little more than I wanted to spend but they work fantastically well with my new Mac Pro 2013 and match it well on the desk too.

Volume is plenty - more than enough to fill my office and little signs of distortion when forced to levels which shake the desk - not practical to use at this volume, but worth trying once to see for any signs of potential 'give'.

No drivers are needed on OS 10.9.4 - simply plug into a free USB port and you get the option in the sound panel to output sound via the MM1. simple as that. The little battery powered remote is invaluable too - you can leave it near the keyboard and turn the speakers off and on and volume up and down. Again this is flawless with OSX.

Sound quality is very clear. They might be a little 'bass light' for some people, but I still find the overall balance is warm, yet detailed. The bass is also nicely focused, rather than booming uncomfortably when pushed too high.

Expensive, but recommended.