5.0 out of 5 stars Great
Fun game with lotsa add ons and extras great for the fans highly recommend in every way cheap and fun
Published 3 months ago by Osmics

2.0 out of 5 stars Evolved from what?
Published on 15 July 2011 by Jeff Franklin

2.0 out of 5 stars Evolved from what?, 15 July 2011
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Front Mission Evolved (PS3) (Video Game)
I have to admit I had never heard of the front Mission games before this title and from reading reviews I have come to the conclusion that this game is a complete change from how the previous titles played. Now we have a third person shooter full of action for the Call of Duty generation whereas it was more of a strategy game in the past which I guess is why the developers felt that they could stick the `Evolved' in the games title.

Unfortunately, if this is evolution I would hate to see what the games were like previously! The fact that the price of this game dropped like a stone almost immediately after its release should have been a warning, but as I'm always on the look out for a bargain I thought I would take a punt and bought it for what I thought was a steal. After a week of playing the game off and on I completed the main campaign of the game and felt like it was a total waste of time and effort.

Where do I start with how poor this game is ... well graphically it is a shocker and easily one of the worst games in that respect that I have seen on the PS3. Some reviews have said that it is like a PS2 game on a PS3 which is a slight over exaggeration but only a slight one. There are no jaw dropping moments at all in the game and the cut scenes are instantly forgettable.

We also have a strange control system which seems to have been thought up in a meeting without a PS3 controller available. This leads to a lot of frustration especially when you stop your speed burst accidently. Related to the poor control system you will be glad to know that you have control of the camera following the action, this is surely I positive I hear you cry! Not a chance it is also extremely poorly designed and I find it hard to believe that this was tested properly as more often than not (especially in boss battles) you will end up focusing on nothing.

The AI is a disgrace for both your enemies and your own squad. At some points your squad are more of an annoyance rather than assisting you in any way they tend to just get in your way or do their own thing like SHOOT AN ARMOURED DOOR FOR 15 MINUTES WHILE YOU ARE FIGHTING OTHER MECHS! Added to this we have a ridiculous story of a civilian joining the army for a mission which I could suspend belief for, after all it is a game, but when you are not in your mech suit and you have to enter a room first to trigger the next event (which was also clunky in its execution) you get the feeling that this was somebody's first crack at making a game.

Fans of the game will probably like the customisation aspects of building your mech but even this is poorly done when you are pretty much told what you need to do for most missions therefore resulting in using the pre builts with a few minor tweaks.

All of these negatives could have been excused if the game had one ounce of fun somewhere in its coding but it doesn't! I blame this squarely on the fact that the weapons (another issue) are really rubbish! You pick a weapon which does a good job of destroying the drones until you run into a `boss' and you may a well be using paper airplanes to hit them as attacks have literally no affect and this leads to long drawn out battles devoid of any excitement and resulting in extremely repetitive affairs.

I cannot think of anything positive about this game really apart from the fact that it wasn't broken like Blacksite and therefore I wasn't affected by crashing and tearing of graphics etc. Only buy this game if you are a die hard fan of the series.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Good, 2 Feb 2014
This review is from: Front Mission Evolved (PS3) (Video Game)
Inferior Graphics,poor storyline,fiddly controls,overpriced.It might cut it in Japan,but it certainly doesnt do it for me.Avoid this Game.I cannot understand why it still turns up in Shops and online as well overpriced.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 31 Dec 2013

2.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Poor, 25 Nov 2013
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Front Mission Evolved (PS3) (Video Game)
Unfortunately, the Mechwarrior series of games aren't available on Playstation. So I've been looking to see if there is anything similar. I bought a second hand copy of FME to give a it a try.

Unfortunately, the gameplay is extremely poor. I don't really know how describe the mediocre "feel" of the combat system, other than is is too fast, completely "unsatisfying", and very dissapointing.

Poor graphics, poor storyline and poor controls contribute to the mix. And ridiculous "bosses" just remove any sense of "reality".

Mech customisation is the up side - you can have some fun changing components and loadouts, but unfortunately that's by far the best element of the game.

If you're looking for a good mech game, give this one a miss folks.

Lets hope that the new Mechwarrior on line game takes off and eventually spawns new console versions (and PC versions with single player campaigns).

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Value, 2 Mar 2013
This review is from: Front Mission Evolved (PS3) (Video Game)
The game was for my son and he seems to enjoy every moment of it.
Look forward to more of the same in the future.

2.0 out of 5 stars Front Mission Evolved., 8 Feb 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Front Mission Evolved (PS3) (Video Game)
A lot of people have been complaining about this game because it's a departure from the earlier turn based games in the series; but I've not played any of those games so I'll not be coming at this game from that angle. As a stand alone third person action mech title, I was looking forward to this game, but slightly cautious after seeing all the low scores it received. But with little else to play until the next Armor Core decides to grace us I bought this game cheap.

The story isn't really worth talking about too much really, other than to give the action some direction I didn't find myself paying much attention to it. Some bad people are doing some bad things, some good people are caught up in it. Go blow some stuff up...
The game looks ok, but it won't delight you visually in any way. But it really doesn't looks as awful and as drab as a lot of people have been saying.
The gameplay itself for the most part is fun, if extremely short lived. It's not really a hard game and you'll be looking at six hours maybe on your first playthrough, with little to pull you back to play again. There are a few sections in the game that feel slightly unfair, namely the whole section where for some really convoluted reason that makes no sense at all you're forced into using equipment parts for your mech that just make the missions harder. It's was frustrating playing through these parts, especially if you went down a completely different route in building a mech to suit your own play style, only to have no choice at all than to completely alter that play style to work with a mech load-out you have no interest in. It didn't make playing the game more fun, just more challenging, and it really felt unnecessary and like the developers were aiming to make you feel cheated every time you lay in a pile of twisted, smothering metal because you've been forced into playing differently.

It's not terrible in many ways, but overall it just feels shallow and by-the-numbers. Like no one really cared if it would be any good. For what fun I had playing it, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless you can look at the small price tag and view this game as something that will distract you for a short period of time, but you'll remember almost nothing of five minutes after you've finished it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Game, 19 Nov 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Front Mission Evolved (PS3) (Video Game)
Nowhere near as good as the original Front Mission 3 on ps1 however this is still a very good game. thoroughly enjoy playing it. not turn based like the original which is a shame though

3.0 out of 5 stars my son dindnt use this one much, 16 May 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Front Mission Evolved (PS3) (Video Game)
as with all games you dont know till you try them, as long as you havent paid too much its ok

5.0 out of 5 stars Well DONE!, 3 April 2011
Galano Raffaele (Rome, Italy) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Front Mission Evolved (PS3) (Video Game)
Very good game, wonderful video and graphics, not so easy for a child, but an interesting FPS without blood ;-)

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite a fun Mech game!, 3 Mar 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Front Mission Evolved (PS3) (Video Game)
I have only played the first few missions, but first impressions are pretty good. Graphically, the game looks good. Stomping around in huge Mechs is always fun!

There seems to be a pretty extensive levels of customisation possible, upgrades to arms, legs, torso and weapons are all possible by spendning credits earned in the missions (similar to the old Armored Core game I played years ago on PS2)

I was concerned about how quickly this game fell in price, but for less than a tenner I thought it was worth a shot. I'm glad I took a chance, and think I will easily get my moneys worth out of it.

ARRAY(0xaaa70498)

Front Mission Evolved (PS3)
Front Mission Evolved (PS3) by Square Enix (PlayStation 3)
5.82