on 8 November 2011
I had no clue what this was about and ordered it on the strength of the reviews I read on Amazon. Brilliant is a word I don't often use to describe films but am happy to do so here. Mostly what caught my attention was the raw ambition of the lawyers involved and not being one, the thought crossed my mind they were missing real life as they scurried about scratching for the next big pay day. Damages may not help the image we have of lawyers in real life, but the acting was incredible,and Glen Close was so good she was scary.
on 20 February 2012
This is an absolutely fantastic box-set. If you like shows like "24", Dexter, or Nip/Tuck, you will probably like this. It is extremely engaging, and very addictive, and you need to pay attention as the plotline is very complex.

I highly recommend it.
on 29 October 2012
Ive just watched the 1st episode of series 1 and I am hooked. Patty Hewes is a master of manipulation and Glenn Close does it so very well. I have not enjoyed anything so much since "Profit" with Adrian Pasdar. I ordered this set dependent on customer reviews and am so glad I did. The story line is complex with many twists and turns so you will need to pay attention
on 13 February 2012
The quality of the product delivered to me was excellent. as for the contents, Damages is the one of the most gripping and well directed series of all times! amazing.
on 3 April 2012
Have just sat through all of series 1-3 on DVD and I am not sure I would bother with Series 4 (whenever it comes out). I am a fan of legal / cop drama, and in theory this should be a hit; but somehow it doesn't quite do it for me. The acting, like many have already remarked, is OTT in places and the cast is nowhere near as strong as other series. The main problem though is the story - there are endless twists and turns and whilst it makes for some compulsive viewing early on, you start to switch off very quickly as scene upon scene of back-stabbing and plot twists makes it seem like the work of a slightly deranged man... Everyone is very well dressed and slick but it looks very contrived, and the endless flashbacks / soft focus shooting really starts to weary on. It would be unfair to compare it to series like The Wire (which is in my view the best written series of all time) as it's just an inferior product. I will be trading in my DVDs for something else at my local store.
on 29 December 2011
Damages is like a drug, once you start to watch it you'll need help to stop. I started to watch it originally online but after getting through about 3 episodes I thought, 'I NEED THIS!
I recieved it very quickly, and it is great to sit and be mesmerised by the show. Glen Close is at her very best, a supreme actress. It's twisted, sexy, smart, sophisticated. It could only be Damages!
This sounded good, but turned out to be a bit confusing by starting at a glimpse of the end and then going back several months so you could unravel what's going on. This technique is used again and again throughout each season, but I'm not sure it really adds much, other than confusion. Having said that, what you see is never as simple as it seems.

Glenn Close is very impressive as a ruthless lawyer you really don't want to get on the wrong side of, but the other characters and actors are second tier in comparison. If nothing else, that makes Close's character and performance even more powerful, as she really dominates the show.

Each season has an single storyline, usually involving Close suing someone for zillions, but there's inevitably a lot of nastiness, scheming and even murder along the way.

The box set is great value and the show is good enough to make me buy Season 4.
on 14 November 2014
A must have in you Glenn Close collection - good legal thriller and believable within USA for the bizarre concept of the Law of Tort in which millions of dollars in damages are claimed by the infamous lawyer 'Patty Hughes'. She plays an environmental obsessive who goes to any length to punish the indifferent capitalist companies that pollute the earth with their chemical waste.There is in her character a sense of the VW driver, German Green activist with a subtle blend of Japanese discipline. She is the CEO and a notorious green warrior who fights the rainbow quest from her office, and has received death threats in the process...Good film
on 26 January 2013
Borrowed this box set from a friend. Currently on series 2. Watched series 1 in 4 days, brilliant! Twists and turns, keeps you gripped; a really great programme. Each series 10 episodes about 40mins each, so you can watch it in chunks. Haven't seen anything this good in years. Unlike most US programmes thankfully it doesn't keep showing you what happened in the last episode it gets straight into it, so you need to watch carefully. Keeps you hooked.
on 23 December 2012
Really interesting criminal drama. Typically american but....retains your interest. Glenn Close plays the part fantastically. Part of me wonders if this is a case of art imitating life! You do have to keep close track, you couldn't zone out as it flips forward 3 weeks, back 3 months and the forward 1. It takes some getting use to but adds to the suspense I suppose.

All in all well worth the watch!