4.0 out of 5 stars Eye-candy of a high order
Published on 16 Jan 2011 by Chinatown Blue

3.0 out of 5 stars Lost in Space....and meaning?
Published on 7 Sep 2009 by A. Shann

3.0 out of 5 stars Lost in Space....and meaning?, 7 Sep 2009
This review is from: Lost In Space [DVD] [1998] (DVD)
I must confess to growing up with the original series so if like me you know the TV series you'll probably like this. Thankfully my myopic vision and failing memory means I am not wedded to one interpretation like some die-hard fans. This 1998 version is hammy and tongue in cheek but I really enjoyed it! There are lots of nice references to the original series for fans, including a cameo from June Lockhart who played Dr Maureen Robinson the first time around. The special effects are very good and it's fun and action packed throughout. Gary Oldman plays an interesting if rather darker version of Dr Smith but remains true to his manipulative original furthermore you get a bit of his back story. For Friends fans Matt Le Blanc does his hero bit whilst poking a bit of fun at himself. I think this one is a bargain and is cheaper than a rental if you look around. I am sure you'll go back and watch it again.

2.0 out of 5 stars Danger! Danger! Naff acting and plotting Will Robinson!, 11 Sep 2013
M. Hevingham "Mark Hevingham" (BIRMINGHAM, WEST MIDLANDS United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lost In Space [Blu-ray] [1998] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
If like me you grew up with a weekly dose of Lost in Space on ITV then this film is something of a shock to the system. Whilst parts of it are great (the launch of the Jupiter 1 gets me nostalgic every time) whilst for the most part its pretty shoddy. The family for the most part are unlikeable, the kids being the "aren't we smart and cute" instantly forgettable cyphers that the originals were not. THe parents are just bland and not at all the All American Mom and Dad of the show (not that they need to be - but they needed to be SOMETHING other than bodies spouting lines)

Perhaps only Dr Smith gets any real attention here and he is so far removed from the loveable rogue he should be as to be a new character.

The transfer of the blu-ray is good but not brilliant and the extras are pretty forgettable too.

If you want lost in space buy the DVD of season one and see how it should be done.

3.0 out of 5 stars There's a lot of space out there to get lost in: and a lot of plot too., 25 Nov 2010
Spike Owen "John Rouse Merriott Chard" (Birmingham, England.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Lost In Space [DVD] [1998] (DVD)
Lost In Space is based on the popular Irwin Allen 1960s TV show of the same name. It's directed by Stephen Hopkins and stars William Hurt, Mimi Rogers, Lacey Chabert, Matt Le Blanc, Heather Graham & Gary Oldman. Plot finds the Robinson family and fighter pilot Dan West, erm, lost in space as they search to save humanity. So yeah, the Swiss Family Robinson in outer space.

Big budget & big bangs as another TV series gets the big screen treatment. Not being familiar with the show myself, I have nothing from which to mark this against. I went in just looking for some sci-fi entertainment and a chance to give my home cinema package a good work out. On those levels the film most definitely works, but it's too long, too chocked with babble and unsure of what it wants to be. Starting out as narratively serious sci-fi, with heavy family ties, the film then lurches from humour to effects extravagance at frequent intervals. Something that's not helped by a wayward cast and a pointless CGI cuddly thing.

William Hurt is a fine actor, but here he takes it too seriously. Oldman on the other hand plays it right, and gets the best lines into the bargain. Rogers and the young kids do OK, with future Mean Girl Chabert showing good charisma. But Le Blanc is just dull: yes we loved him in Friends, there a handsome Lothario like dope worked, here it gets tiresome very quickly. While Graham is badly miscast as a smart Doctor type. Visually the piece is very appealing, with one or two genuine moments of brilliance; such as young Will Robinson controlling the robot to fight a gazillion spiders. But for all the eye candy and aural delights on offer, Lost In Space is hamstrung by trying to be too much. With the added weight of expectation of launching a franchise too much for the writers to contend with.

It was a box office success in spite of receiving mostly bad reviews from the critics. The planned sequel, as yet, hasn't materialised. That's probably for the best if the same people involved were meant to come back again. OK while it's on, if the running time doesn't give you itchy feet, but ultimately it's pretty forgettable once it's over. 5.5/10

4.0 out of 5 stars Eye-candy of a high order, 16 Jan 2011
Chinatown Blue "cthulhoid" (S-O-T, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Lost In Space [Blu-ray] [1998] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
Regarding the story and script of this big budget space opera, nobody expected it to be either deep or meaningful, and I'm sure nobody was disappointed. This is really just for fun, even though it does try to make a serious point or two about families and relationships. We're only here for the thrill ride, and we certainly get what we paid for. Plenty of action, some comedy, some drama, and lots and lots of explosions. The younger kids may be a bit let down over the cutesy merchandising opportunity, aka Blerp; the CGI creature is really far from cute, and the interaction with the human characters is pretty average in execution. But kids should love this film in other ways, since it has some of the best child roles in recent movies, and rarely strays too far from the action. Regarding the blu ray, I found this a pretty good transfer; it compares very favourably with my dvd copy. I watched it on a 32" Samsung HD tv, and it was clear, sharp, and bright. I noticed no problems at all. The sound was a bit less satisfying - to hear the dialogue I had to turn up the sound, which made the various blasts rather heavy on the ear. But there have been far worse films for that, and it did give the action scenes that bit more impact. I was not sorry to have upgraded, there was a very definite improvement in picture and sound quality. I'm also fairly sure there are a few extra bits of footage that were missing from my dvd copy, but I haven't done a side by side comparison to check, so I may just have forgotten some short sequences. The extras are good too - commentaries, deleted scenes, a couple of featurettes and the music video by Apollo 440 for the theme track. Worth investing in, I think.

4.0 out of 5 stars Space Family Robinson!, 12 Nov 2010
I. R. Barnes "*technobabble*" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Lost In Space [Blu-ray] [1998] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
Anyone familiar with the original camp and colourful 60's Irwin Allen TV series will realise that this big-budget movie update is a million miles away from it!

The basic premise however is the same, essentially a sci-fi version of Swiss Family Robinson, where the 'Robinson' family set out into space on a scientific mission only to become, well, er...lost!

Directed by Stephen Hopkins who has helmed a variety of hits and misses over the years from the horror of Nightmare on Elm Street 5 and The Reaping to the action-fest of Predator 2 and thrillers Blown Away, The Ghost and The Darkness and the very under-rated Judgement Night as well as producing the critically acclaimed series 24.

There was quite a considerable amount of hype for the release of Lost in Space, particularly the big-name cast with Gary Oldman, William Hurt, Mimi Rogers, Heather Graham and Matt LeBlanc's first major film role. Gary Oldman has fun playing the over-the-top evil Dr. Smith, William Hurt is always reliable and LeBlanc makes a surprisingly good action star, even if he is still 'Joey'!

The production design and special effects in this movie are excellent and the action runs at break-neck speed. The opening space battle sequence is of particular note, but there's also an impressive crash sequence and the climactic high speed escape through a disintegrating planet is pretty awesome!

There are still a few nods to the original series though, there's a bit of campiness, thankfully not too much, and the robot from the series is reconstructed to resemble the original design and speaks with a similar voice, even uttering the famous line "Danger Will Robinson!" There's also a clever way of introducing the Jupiter 2 spaceship where a spaceship that resembles the original design in the series suddenly breaks apart, acting merely as a launching shell, to reveal an entirely new designed ship for the movie. Some of the original cast also have small cameos.

Of course there are obvious problems with the storyline especially the sugar-coated paradox-inducing ending which tries, rather ham-fistedly, to ram home messages of family and reconciling troubled relationships, in this case young Will Robinson and his father.

Since it was first released in 1998 I've had a bit of a soft spot for this film, I guess because it's harmless fun that has something for everyone, it's never going to win any Oscars, and it may offend the purist fans of the original TV series, but it's a decent slice of sci-fi entertainment that will pass a few hours.

As for this Blu-Ray disc the picture transfer isn't too bad, not that much improvement over DVD unfortunately, however the sound is much better. I've always thought that movies released on DVD on the 'Entertainment in Video' label always had very poor quality sound, Lost in Space being one of them. This is now much better on this Blu-Ray. The extras have been lifted from the DVD release (stills, trailers, deleted scenes, music video) but also include some featurettes about special effects, space travel and interviews with the original TV cast. There are also two new commentary tracks which are interesting but nothing to shout about.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lost in execution, 2 July 2014
Dr. Michael J. Atkins (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lost In Space [DVD] [1998] (DVD)
I am slowly replacing my old videos with DVDs. This film version of a beloved TV series when I was a child is a disappointment. Apart from a good in-character performance from the Dr, the whole is not that good. Whatever is the opposite of "the icing on the cake" "(the poo on my shoe"?), the DVD version is also of poor picture quality.

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit old, a bit cheesy, but still a good watch, 17 Mar 2014
Great one to watch with the kids. My ten year old boy loved it. My wife didn't even notice my surreptitious attempts to get him into science fiction!

4.0 out of 5 stars Silly but Fun, 16 Mar 2014
This review is from: Lost In Space [DVD] [1998] (DVD)
As an oldie I remember Lost in Space on the Telly. Not as good as the TV series but fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Replacement, 6 Mar 2014
Mrs. Jennifer Borton (Rugeley, Staffordshire England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lost In Space [DVD] [1998] (DVD)
This film we had in video form, but as I enjoy watching it, we decided to replace it with a d.v.d, the ease of replacing it was brilliant, will be ordering more in the near future

3.0 out of 5 stars its no blade runner, 1 Nov 2013
This review is from: Lost In Space [Blu-ray] [1998] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
i used to watch lost in space,when i was a kid,this was not as good as i thought it was going to be....

Lost In Space [Blu-ray] [1998] [Region Free]
Lost In Space [Blu-ray] [1998] [Region Free] by William Hurt (Blu-ray - 2010)
5.50