5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant
I decided to buy this after reading reviews online and I'm glad I did. This show is excellent, especially if like me, you loved the X-Files and Lost.
Published on 20 Oct. 2010 by Rich

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm...quite good
After a thrilling 2hr season 1 opener, I was hooked. It really was on par with a good hollywood sci-fi blockbuster.

I really enjoy the Fringe science aspect, the interesting, wild theories, gadgets, experiments, and how they're utilised to develop each episode's plot.

Published on 30 Aug. 2011 by Denton

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 20 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Fringe Season 1 and 2 [DVD] (DVD)
Fringe isn't a carbon copy of either and stands out on it's own as a really fun, interesting show that hooks you in. The characters are great, especially Walter Bishop. It's got action, humour, gore and an intriguing storyline that you can tell is going to just continue to get better.

Already one of my favourite shows, two thumbs up from me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm...quite good, 30 Aug. 2011

However, 7 episodes into season 2, I'm starting to loose interest somewhat. It's descending into the same re-hashy ground that the X-files got bogged down in, concentrating on one central premise that seems to be dictating the flow of each subsequent episode. This would be fine if I was totally absorbed and engrossed by the central premise, but i'm only so-so. The X-files aliens were a heck of a lot more interesting until the humanoid aliens turned up. And that's almost exactly where Fringe is heading.

I love sci-fi above almost every other genre, but can't shake the feeling that the show is beginning to tread water, the same way Alias did, never getting to the point and if anything, opening more questions than answers. Abrahms' Lost did this obviously, but that was far far far more compelling.

I'm also not 'in love' with the central characters. Walter is good value and at times delivers amazing performances full of tortured emotion, but Olivia and Peter are far too one dimensional. You can almost guess at the one liners peter is going to quip in any given situation. The story is too obsessed with shapeshifters and the parallel dimension that is threatening to collide with ours. It's interesting for a few episodes, but hearing the same 'tune' for twenty or so gets dull.

I wish they would focus on more single episode stories, exploring the vast multitude of theories out there. If they did this more, the show could be much better. They also need to add a much needed injection of emotional purpose. At the moment I'm only getting this from Walter. Peter displays the range of emotions you'd expect from a squashed apple.

I'll probably come back to watch the end of season 2 in a bit, but I'm not as enthralled as I wanted to be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Show, 3 Nov. 2014
S. Broadbent "cyberspaceexpress" (Devon) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Fringe is an unusual but brilliant Sci-Fi show.
It tells the story of a small unit within the F.B.I called Fringe division.
Here they deal with very rare unexplainable events that stretch the imagination.
Olivia Dunham played by Anna Torv decides to seek help in the form of a disgraced scientist, Walter Bishop who resides in an insane asylum. She can only get his help with the assistance of his son, Peter Bishop and so the team comes together.
They reopen Walter’s old basement laboratory, complete with a cow in the corner.
Fringe has a story running throughout the series as well as individual episodes. The series concludes in the final episode of the last series and completes the show perfectly.
It is weird, with dark comedy, exciting action, and it has a few frightening moments as well.
Great, innovative writing, wonderful acting and a different approach to Sci-fi make this an unbeatable combination.
I doubt you’ll be disappointed.
Fantastic show!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome show, great value!, 6 Oct. 2010
I bought this double pack for £40 from Amazon as my dvd box set of the first season was loaned out and lost. This is great value as it has both series for just a little over the price you would pay for the second season on its own. Fringe is a brilliant show and looks awesome on Blu-Ray! A must buy

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 21 May 2011
Antoinette Sym (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fringe Season 1 and 2 [DVD] (DVD)
I didn't see this series when it was aired on TV but my daughter and son-in-law raved about it so much I bought the box set and I'm so glad I did. As a fan of the X Files, this series is about 10 steps ahead. Although each episode is stand alone, there is a thread that runs through them all. It covers all aspects of the paranormal and has all the elements of good drama, tension, intrigue, humour etc. Well recommended as it's one of the best for this genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid Show, 9 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Fringe Season 1 and 2 [DVD] (DVD)
Solid show that's part X Files part Lost. While it may not always use its characters to their maximum, the plot is well thought out and you are left with many questions but the most important answers. It has beautiful music. My wife would watch it just for that.

As I'm sure many reviews will have said, Walter owns this show. His acting is top notch and everything that occurs seems to be occurring in response to him, from Red Vines to Dimension Shifting goodness.

p.s. I do have a small gripe that the Olivia Peter ship came across as rushed and not quite real in Season 2. Normally I'm very open to shipping but to me it just seemed as if they threw them together without connecting all the dots and crossing all the t's. They went from two people who were curious and attracted to each other to a huge, passionate love with no explanatory middle... with no bridge. I'd've rated it down for that but the music really is that good.

5.0 out of 5 stars FRINGE 1 & 2, 8 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Fringe Season 1 and 2 [DVD] (DVD)
What a surprise a first rate production with excellent actors (accolades to John Noble - his presence absolutely makes the series) Interesting plots...with links to many factual experiments that are just becoming public knowledge. Definitely worth the money....can't wait for series 3.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent series but it takes a few episodes to get going., 11 Jan. 2011
C. Irwin "Shizzling" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fringe Season 1 and 2 [DVD] (DVD)
I watched the first few episodes of Fringe Season 3 on TV and love it so I decided to buy this box set to catch up with the whole story.

Season 1 starts off slowly. It takes a few episodes to really get going but once it does it's very enjoyable. I don't want to give the plot away but it's safe to say that it starts off firmly in X-Files territory with a bit of parallel universe jiggery pokery going on. The developing plot lines for Olivia, Peter and Walter build up the interest levels.

Season 2 builds on what we have learned about the main characters and you can feel the story rolling towards a momentous confrontation. I had 2 niggles with Season 2 - the first is that many episodes do not further the main story ark - the second is that a particular episode, "Brown Betty", is shot in a film noir style (apparently to fit in with a themed week of programs on the US Fox TV network) and feels completely out of kilter with everything that comes before or after.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Definitely worth it in HD, 7 Oct. 2010
C. Ellis - See all my reviews
I had already bought the first season on DVD, but to pay just £2 more and have BOTH seasons on blu-ray when I was gonna get season 2 on blu-ray anyway is a no-brainer. Both seasons are consistently awesome. Fringe is probably one of the most underrated shows on TV right now. The best episode here is Peter, but all episodes are absolutely awesome. This is probably the best TV show at the moment and I cannot wait to see season 3. Buy it, if you haven't seen one episode, buy it, and buy it, in HD! 10/10 show, 10/10 blu-ray!

5.0 out of 5 stars Even Better Than Expected.....!, 14 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Fringe Season 1 and 2 [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this set,as I am currently watching Series 3,and needed to catch up with the previous storylines.I had seen some of the earlier episodes some time ago,and for some reason wasn`t impressed and stopped watching it,but this second time around I`m really enjoying it.The characters are fully fleshed out from the first episode,and the effects too are just right.On this Boxed Set,there are also a reasonable number of Extras too,and they are informative and humorous.I would definitely recommend this particular package,as it`s a good saving on buying them separately,and if you haven`t seen the earlier series you will enjoy them as much as the current ones.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Fringe Season 1 and 2 [DVD]
Fringe Season 1 and 2 [DVD] by Anna Torv (DVD - 2010)
Used & New from: £11.90