4.0 out of 5 stars Insightful
I was very sceptical when I first looked at this book, but having read Victoria Beckham's biography I thought it only right to read this.
Although I am a woman I am also an avid follower of Manchester United and David Beckham's career there. This book follows him from day 1 within United and his career changes and progressions.
I half expected the whole thing...
Published on 19 Nov 2004 by Ms. N. A. Brough

3.0 out of 5 stars Mild
I was looking forward to reading this book for weeks. I admire what David Beckam has achieved but I find mmyself wanting to know a bit more. The book didn't go as deep as I thought it might. I was slightly dissapointed. Neverless a good book to pass the time.
Published on 25 Sep 2003 by J White

4.0 out of 5 stars Insightful, 19 Nov 2004
I half expected the whole thing to be about his football careerbut was pleasantly surprised to find he also told of his rise to fame behind the scene's.
The emotional grip he has you under when you read his side of everything that has happened to him as a footballer, a husband and a father is unbelieveable. He tells us of the heart ache of being told his family is not his priority when his youngest, Brooklyn, is taken ill and what he and Victoria had to go through when they recieved kidnap threats.
I would suggest that anyone read this book, whether you are a football fan or not. However what I will say is that there is a lot of reference to his football career that gets dragged out a bit but it always seems to be there for a reason (eventually).
Well worth the read.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Garry Bushell of Football, 29 Mar 2008
This is the best biog I have read since Bushell Off The Box by Garry Johnson.
Becks and Bushell both have a lot in common - crewcuts, good looks and both are East End boys done good.
Garry Bushell discovered The Cockney Rejects and this book Beckham claims they are his favourite rock band.
Spooky or what?
Beckham has just won his 100th cap and I for one hopes he goes onto to many more.
He has tried modelling and now I hear he is going to try acting - he was according to this book encouraged by his Hollywood pal Tom Cruise. And rumour has it Becks has a small part in the Robbie Williams movie Till Death Us Do Part - the film version of the East End gangster novel by Garry Jackson.
A brilliant book that moved me and came close to taking over from The Story of Oi by Garry Johnson as my all-time favourite book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you'd expect from a good football autobiography, and more, 19 May 2006
T. P. Ang (Singapore) - See all my reviews
I seldom read sports biographies, but nonetheless found this book hard to put down once I started on it. Beckam provides a refreshingly honest and eye-opening account of life in the dressing room and beyond. The book takes the reader on a comprehensive narrative from his childhood years to his rise to international stardom that has few dull moments. Particularly commendable, in my opinion, is the book's effort to provide a fair assessment of all the major characters in Beckham's life, especially his manager and mentor for many years, Sir Alex Ferguson.

Beckam's life beyond the football pitch also lends an extra dimension to his account that is usually absent in the traditional footballer's autobiography. His sometimes tragic, sometimes uplifting accounts of his convoluted relationship with the media, the wider British public and of course, his well-publicised courtship with Victoria are tremendously absorbing. In this sense, the book offers the reader much more than just a catalogue of golden goals and match performances.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. I believe it will captivate football fans and non-football fans alike. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 4 Mar 2014
This review is from: David Beckham: My Side: My Side - The Autobiography (Kindle Edition)
Simply put, what a guy. From enthusiastic boy to world famous man. One of the great professionals of all time and a truly great man, husband and father. Brilliant reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beckham's the best, 6 Feb 2014
I love how David is down to earth and his family are the most important people in his life. Fame and fortune haven't changed him one bit

5.0 out of 5 stars Beckham's book, 20 Jan 2014
Great read , found out a lot of interesting feelings , emotions and truths about him. Would recommend to a friend if you're a fan.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mild, 25 Sep 2003
J White (Upper Abbeywood, London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and fun - even for non-football fans, 2 Nov 2004
This review is from: David Beckham: My Side (Hardcover)
It is true that David Beckham is more known for his football then his words, but even for someone who is not as familiar with the sport - such as me - this book was thoroughly entertaining. The book starts with his growing up years, then moves on to his football beginnings and eventually how he comes to almost fall into celebrity-hood. It is full of interesting and sometimes hilarious anecdotes on his personal life, close encounters with other celebrities and relationship with his family, which is clearly the most important thing in his life. Throughout the book, the author - and the guy that helped him write it - maintains a down to earth tone, reminding us that this football star is really just an ordinary bloke who loves his family and could live down the street from you (except, maybe you'd have to live in a really posh neighborhood). This and the straightforward manner by which the book is presented, make it an overall enjoyable read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Non-footy-fans;don't be put off!, 29 Sep 2003
This review is from: David Beckham: My Side (Hardcover)
I'm no fan of the game but I read this cover to cover in a day. The descriptions of the excitement of truly major games told from Beckham's point of view are gripping! And the details of his life and personal/emotional battles come across as frank and open. The style is fluid; I imagine Beckham talking endlessly and openly into a tape recorder and the rest was down to the ghost-writer who has done a good job bringing it all together. Never thought I would recommend a "football" book, but this, like the subject, is in a class of its own. Read it!

4.0 out of 5 stars My Side of Beck's story, 7 Nov 2003
This review is from: David Beckham: My Side (Hardcover)
I thought the book was pretty good. Although the language used is not something to beam about, Becks makes sure that the reader and any fan of his would empathise with him. His frankness and openness is an eye -opener for many of his fans. We now know what lurks in the dressing rooms and what is behind the glamour of Old Trafford. A good and interesting read.