Format: Audio CD|Change

on 20 October 2001
Chiquitita is one of ABBA's most beautiful songs. It is probably the best song on this album. As Good As New, Angeleyes and Gimme Gimme Gimme are are also great and I Have A Dream is very pretty. If It Wasn't For The Nights is quite good.
Unfortunately not everything else here is as great. Lovers Live A Little Longer is just annoying (why wasn't it replaced by Lovelight?) and Summer Night City, Voulez Vous and Does Your Mother Know sound a bit creepy and not convincing at all. I remember worrying about their future after hearing this album. Fortunately they returned better than ever with The Winner Takes It All and the Super Trouper album.
on 12 August 2015
"Voulez-Vous" is an excellent studio CD Album by ABBA.Highly Recommended.
on 8 May 2015
great priced cd , excellent fast delivery ! a must for abba fans
on 3 March 2015
Absolute love the album and the dvd with it is excellent ciewing
on 5 July 2010
I agree If it wasn't for the nights should have been 'the' single from the album. Much better than Chiquitita and the horrid I have a dream, my least favourite abba song made even worse by the westlife cover. I think they picked all the wrong tracks for single. As good as new could have done well too. I absolutely love Dream world. With Just like that would have got them back in the top ten i'm sure. Do they have both tracks that they performed on the Mike Yarwood christmas show? They did Thank you for the music too. Unfortunately miming to both. Hilarious interview with Mike as Larry Grayson. Not my favourite abba album but still great.
on 16 March 2012
When I saw this Deluxe Edition, I was optomistic and I once I heard it I was not disappointed! Here is the 1979 LP at its finest. There have been many versions released, Polydor mainly and they gave us the CD with added extras, that die-hard fans will enjoy.

Having listened to this version I highly recommend it. The CD's extra tracks are most welcome, especially Summer Night City (Full Length Version), Dream World and Lovelight. Lovelight, which has previously available is presented here in a new fresh sounding version, which took me by surprise and it sounds great, a few repeats I guarantee once you have heard it. The DVD is laced with extras that youtube has provided recently and now they are yours to own. The performance of If It Wasn't For The Nights is among my favourites.

For the price of this Deluxe Edition you are getting true value for money.
Some people associate Abba with disco music, but this album is as close as they got to recording a disco album (only some tracks fit that classification). It has several excellent songs but in its original form would only get four stars from me. The addition of two bonus tracks, Summer night city and Lovelight, brings it up to five stars.
The British public, who normally bought Abba singles in quantities big enough to ensure number one in the charts, might appear to be (like me) less impressed with this album, as none of the singles reached number one although they were all top five. However, the album itself sold in huge quantities, so perhaps some people bought the album instead of the singles. In America, this album was less successful than its predecessor, but they visited America to promote that one (The album, featuring Take a chance on me).
Summer night city was the earliest hit here. Released some months before the album, it appeared on several compilations but not on an original album until it was included on the re-mastered version of this album. The first single from the original album was Chiquitita, a song I didn't like at all originally, but I've grown to accept it because it's by Abba - it shows even they're not perfect. Only Blondie's Heart of glass prevented it being number one in Britain
Much better is Does your mother know, in which one of the men (Bjorn) feature on lead vocals. The men started out as folk singers themselves. Their voices are nothing exceptional, but it is nice to hear them occasionally. This was followed by the double-A side Angel eyes / Voulez-vous. I prefer Angel eyes, but it seems that I am in a minority. In any case, the single reached number three, but Roxy Music also had a hit with a completely different song called Angel eyes and this may have caused confusion.
For me, the outstanding song here is I have a dream - it even inspired American country-gospel singer to record a cover. This song, the last to be released from this album, was unlucky not to be a British number one - it was stuck at number two for ages behind Pink Floyd's Another brick in the wall.
Apart from the singles, there were great album tracks, including The king has lost his crown, If it wasn't for the nights, Kisses of fire and the second bonus track, Lovelight, which was the B side of Chiquitita.
I note that the track listing here includes Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie - on the CD's I've got, this was a bonus track on Super trouper instead. It was recorded midway between the two albums and was a British number three hit. Like Chiquitita, it is song I've come to accept but not one I regard as an Abba classic.
While this is not one of my favorite Abba albums, there are a lot of brilliant songs here that are well up to the quality I expect of Abba (hence the five stars). Because of those songs, no self-respecting Abba fan should ignore it. You might even enjoy the songs that I think are merely OK.
on 14 January 2016
Very pleased with the cd and packaging
on 10 July 2015
ANOTHER GREAT ALBUM FROM ABBA.
on 11 June 2010
I must admit that the release is quite disappointing to me. I even prefer the 2005 CSR remastering. I absolutely adore the album. But I don't quite get the fact that "Just A Notion" and "Rubber Ball Man" are missing - as they were left at a similar production stage as "Dream World". The explanation - that the reason for not releasing them is that parts of these songs were used in other songs - is for me not really logical - as "Dream World" also has parts that were used in "Does Your Mother Know". The alternatively mixed VV-songs on the DVD are interesting, though. Otherwise for me not so interesing as it could have been. Why not give the fans something REALLY interesting - that makes this "Deluxe" Edition something really special? The material is gathering dust in the vaults...