on 28 October 2010
I bought this versatile network device to act as an Access Point (AP) - in CLIENT MODE - to wirelessly connect my PC to a BT Home Hub in another part of my home. "Client mode" can also be used to connect a router to a FREESAT or SKY set top box to watch BBC iPlayer (amongst many other uses.) Configuring the TL-WA801ND was somewhat "tricky" for me, but well worth the effort for the extra performance it delivers ie. the "n" speed and extended range capabilities of this multi mode access point. After a little experimentation I successfully configured the AP for my BT Home Hub by the following steps:

[1] set a static IP address on your computer so you can configure the device - this is clearly explained in the first page of the Quick Start guide;
[2] open your web browser and enter 192.168.1. 254 into the address field (enter "admin" into User and Password fields) - this opens the "web setup utility;"
[3] from the "Network" submenu enter a suitable LAN (ethernet wired) IP address (for example in my case) 192.168.1.70 - save and reboot;
[4] from the "Wireless" submenu select your operating mode (CLIENT in my case;)
[5] click the search button and select the router to which you wish to connect;
[6] for the BT Home Hub DO NOT select the "Enable WDS" tick box, this option will not work, instead select the "MAC of AP" button - save and reboot;
[7] from the "Security" submenu select WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK and in the version and encryption boxes select "automatic" - save and reboot;
[8] return to the "Network" submenu and set the LAN "Type" selection to Dynamic (DHCP) - save and reboot;
[9] reset your IP address on your computer to obtain IP address automatically and obtain DNS address automatically.
[10] wait (be patient) for the computer to acquire the IP address from your router and then connect to the internet!

These steps worked for me and I hope they may be of use to other users of the TL-WA801ND (and its variants TL-WA701ND.)

A great performer at a very reasonable price.
VINE VOICEon 24 March 2011
I bough this TP-LINK TL-WA801ND 300Mbps Wireless N Access Point; IEEE 802.11n IEEE 802.11g; IEEE 802.11b; 1x 10/100 RJ45 (TL-WA801ND) to extend the wireless network in my house. It is not a broadband router in its own right.

I run a Netgear Wireless N ADSL Router, which is fine for using our laptops and my Blackberry downstairs, but the signal was poor an intermittent upstairs.

I have connected my upstairs software development PCS (1 Debian Linux and 1 Windows Vista) to a wired hub, and then to the Wireless Access Point, as it only has 1 Ethernet port. The wireless linkage is fantastic and achieves household networking speeds comparable to a wire LAN between the upstairs PCS and the laptops. (What a pity that ADSL in our area is such a bottleneck).

The Access point is able to run in quite a few modes, including relaying and supports a wide range of standard encryptions. It is comes with a connector that permits a power over Ethernet set-up, although I haven't tried that.

It has no problems routing (the somewhat notorious) Sonicwall VPN access through to my office (via the Netgear router of course).

I have come across business level Access-points that are less effective at the job.

Even as an IT professional, I found it a little fiddly to set up, but once it was correctly configured, it has run continuously for several months with no discernible problems.

It is a well built, functional piece of hardware.
on 28 October 2013
I am using 3 of these. I have two set up in my loft, connected by Ethernet cables to my broadband router/modem, and one used as a wireless bridge (allowing my non Wi-Fi enabled PC and Printer in my home office to connect to the wireless network). The devices seem to be of good quality; time will tell. They are certainly very good value for money, very easy to configure.

Handy tip: The device comes with a PoE power injector. This allows you to power the device over the network cable, so that if you do not have a power socket close to the device, but do have one near the other end of the network cable, you can carry both power and network signal over your Ethernet cable. I have not tested this over long cables, and I suspect this will depend on the quality of cabling.

I have always used Netgear for network devices, but have now standardised on TP-LINK throughout my home as their quality seems to be at least as good and their prices are lower. They are also better designed I think. Anyway, strongly recommended.
on 2 October 2013
I had the v1 of this range extender set in universal mode and then I had to change my router which use auto channel negotiation. The v1 range extender stopped working each time the base router changed channel. TP-Link suggested a firmware upgrade but that made the issue much worse. I fixed the channels on both and bandwidth dropped significantly. TP-Link diagnosed a fault in the receiver of the v1 model and Amazon (as usual) replaced it with this the new v2 model.
I plugged it in and worked for a few days then the same issue occurred again. Looking on the TP-Link forums there seems to be an issues with auto channel negotiation when set in universal repeater mode. So unfortunately it had to be returned. I have since changed to a Ubiquiti UniFi LR AP and never had an issue.
on 19 September 2014
I do like this device. It works well, is straightforward enough to set up up via the web interface. The more recent units are fine but I also have one I bought abut a year earlier. Just be warned that the firmware they were shipping with then had a rather bad bug. It would flood your network with bogus ARP broadcast packets. Very distressing. Luckily there was a later firmware available which fixed it.
on 22 April 2014
Had this around 6 months now, and it has been very reliable. I use it in our office which has wired network ports to provide WiFi in AP mode to laptops and phones - we have 2 or 3 laptops, 2 or 3 phones and tablets connected 12 hrs a day, and so far only one reboot has been needed.

It was also easy to set up on the non-standard subnet we use in the office (although I know what I'm doing with networking, I think it would be pretty straightforward for a non-technical person too)
on 17 December 2010
Having just switched to BT, needed a wireless repeater to reach the far corners of the house, and thought one of my two old wireless routers would do it. But no. The D-link DIR 635 refused point blank, and the Netgear DG834G will only do it with other Netgears. This thing works a treat. It is a swiss army knife so the options are a bit daunting, but take it step by step and you will get there. This model is a bit more powerful than the cheapest one and typically runs at 130Mbps (or 54 on wireless G) over 10m through 2 walls.
on 22 September 2014
Does the job fine, was easy to set up and get started however it occasionally needs reset.
I've got it connected through powerline adapters to the main router so it could be something to do with that but i've not had the time to look into it. It only needs reset once a month or so which I can live with.
on 4 November 2013
I bought a couple of these to sort out wireless for the local sports club. No problem setting them up and coverage was so good I only needed one unit even though the signal had to traverse metal shutter doors and thick Victorian walls. IT infrastructure has been my career for 25 years and I don't often find products which exceed expectations but I was impressed with these. Mine also came with a 3 year guarantee. Can't complain.
on 17 July 2012
I brought this item to use a wireless access point in my summer house. I used powerline adapters to take lan up to the summer house, plugged in and switched on. Some setting up required, (20mins) but easy if you have some networking knowledge. the signal range and quality of signal is fantastic. Highly recommended and WOW what a great price.
According to some reviews this device comes with a european plug ????? I can confirm that these are shipped with a UK plug.

Very very highly recommended.

See one answered question