4.0 out of 5 stars it's an absolute corker.
There will be some people, quite understandingly, who will criticize this album as just another jaded old pop star trying to cash in her fame for one last pot of gold. I, too may have said this if I hadn't spent time listening to it - and boy am I glad I did, as it's an absolute corker.

Recorded in Memphis, Tennessee, this album of blues covers includes special...
Published on 3 July 2010 by laughingdog

3.0 out of 5 stars True blue colours?
Published on 18 July 2010 by G. E. Harrison

4.0 out of 5 stars it's an absolute corker., 3 July 2010
laughingdog "laughingdog" (Doha Qatar) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Memphis Blues (Audio CD)

Recorded in Memphis, Tennessee, this album of blues covers includes special guest artists including B.B. King, Jonny Lang, Allen Toussaint, Ann Peebles and Charlie Musselwhite - you can't get much better and these guys add the class to the album. Though fair play to Cyndi (did you know shes 57) she carries the whole thing with a voice that appears to have been made to sing the blues.

I know there are hundreds of albums of blues covers by female artists that in their own right are just as good if not better, but this is now, this is Cyndi Lauper and I love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cyndi's Blues > NOT YET, 5 July 2010
Patrick J. M. O'sullivan (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Memphis Blues (Audio CD)
I agree that this is a class album and she has obviously worked hard on each track using quality musicians, so as not to disappoint or to be yet another album/cover album - was totally surprised how her voice works so well with these covers
I would recommend

3.0 out of 5 stars True blue colours?, 18 July 2010
G. E. Harrison (Cheltenham, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Memphis Blues (Audio CD)
A couple of years ago I saw Cyndi on TV on the Jack Dee show doing a slowed down soulful version of her song "True colours" with the show's house band - it was very good, Cyndi really sold the song and it made you realise both what a good song it actually is and what an excellent performer Cyndi is. In recent years I've also seen her doing more folky versions of her old songs playing a kind of lap steel guitar.

Here she's recorded an album of blues covers in Memphis with session musicians and guests including B.B. King, Alan Toussaint, Charlie Musslewhite, Ann Peebles and Johnny Lang. Cyndi sounds perfectly at home with this material and I was glad to see she sings and phrases in her normal (sic) voice rather than trying to sound black. However, I much preferred the ballads like "Shattered dreams", "Rommance in the dark" and "Down so low" to the straight blues like "Rolling and tumbling" and "Crossroads", which I wasn't convinced really worked. Her duo with B.B. King on "Early in the morning" certainly does work with both Cyndi and B.B.'s singing really swinging and B.B.'s guitar sounding great.

Cyndi may not have the voice of Bessie Smith or Aretha Franklin but she holds her own on the more soulful songs like "How blue can you get" and "Don't cry no more" (probably my favourite track) and just about gets away with the rest - especially when she duets with B.B. and Ann Peebles. I'm sure the album was great fun for her to make and it certainly sounds good with great playing and good production but I'm not sure that it really brings anything new to the genre - three and a half stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars A little gem, 11 Mar 2012
Kevin E. Jones "Photo69" (South Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Memphis Blues (Audio CD)
I don't pretend to know very much about any flavour of music I just keep an ear out for something that moves me. I saw Cyndi Lauper's performances on the Joules Holland New Year show 2011/12 and was blown away by the quality of voice and performance who, until she started singing, I had written off as another act,trying to make a comeback.

How wrong I was. I bought the album on the strength of that show alone. I have too often bought albums with one strong track where the remainder of the album has disappointed. I am happy to say this is not one of them

There are emotional highs and lows a little fun and a lot of energy given by an artist clearly enjoying herself. I would highly recommend this to any music lover even to those who aren't a fan of Ms Lauper because this might just change their minds. Stunning!

I suppose I should mention the price was amazing I wouldn't have quibbled paying double. Delivery was quicker than expected.

5.0 out of 5 stars Try it, you WILL be suprised!, 23 Sep 2011
This review is from: Memphis Blues (Audio CD)
Heard the interview on Radio 2 one evening and thought "go on then I'll try it"

I'm so glad I did. I don't really buy blues albums but this is amazing!!

Give it a go you will be pleased you did.

5.0 out of 5 stars New York's answer to Marcia Ball, 21 Jun 2011
This review is from: Memphis Blues (Audio CD)
This seems to have 2 different sleeves-I think this is preferable to her upside down but thank God Cyndi Lauper is doing more covers and got the designer pop out of her system.
Not the first time she does R & B-years ago she did a version of Iko Iko.
Maybe next time round a country album as she seems to be touching all bases

5.0 out of 5 stars but my daughter-in-law was very pleased with it, 25 Aug 2014
This review is from: Memphis Blues (Audio CD)
This item was purchased for a gift, but my daughter-in-law was very pleased with it.

3.0 out of 5 stars ...nearly but not quite..., 10 Aug 2010
Mr. H "Mr H" (Embra) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Memphis Blues (Audio CD)
Well, I never saw that coming, as eighties popstrel Cyndi Lauper goes and makes an actual blues album! Something that I'm sure will delight my legions of followers on my weekly Rockin' The Blues show on Get Ready To Rock Radio. Because, yes, a couple of tunes from this record will be making the playlist.

This covers collection sees Ms Lauper reeling in a host of big names. B.B. King, Jonny Lang, Allen Toussaint, Ann Peebles and Charlie Musselwhite all making appearances, so her cred seems to be in order. Of course, she doesn't actually have the vocal chops to take on some of the songs, as anyone listening to 'Shattered Dreams' will aver. However, the fabulous arrangements and powerhouse playing does help to gloss over some of the faults and when the material suits her voice - as on 'Early In The Morning' - then there's hints of what could have been.

Allan Toussaint puts in some fabulous piano work on 'Early in the Mornin' and 'Mother Earth', and the tracks featuring Charlie Musselwhite's trademark moothie are special treats. 'Just Your Fool' is one of those, and leads you to think this album is going to be a bit of a cracker. It's not really, but it's certainly no embarrassment, as another fine tune, her duet with Ann Peebles on 'Rollin' And Tumblin' will attest.

The B.B. King and Jonny Lang are less impressive, but overall, this is worth a listen and will hopefully push some people into checking out the writing credits for further blues investigations.

Memphis Blues
Memphis Blues by Cyndi Lauper (Audio CD - 2010)