5.0 out of 5 stars Don't believe what others say!
Published on 1 May 2012 by C. Turri

3.0 out of 5 stars Remember it is only a strimmer
It should be remembered that this is only a strimmer, for doing edges & suchlike, not a lawn mower. I have not had a problem with the blades wearing out and suspect this may be due to inappropriate use. B&Q sell compatible blades at a much cheaper price the the Bosch ones.

Published on 4 May 2012 by John

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't believe what others say!, 1 May 2012
C. Turri (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bosch ART 26 LI Cordless 18 Volt Li-Ion Grass Trimmer (26 cm Cutting Diameter) (DIY & Tools)
Despite some slightly poor reviews about battery life and plastic blades not lasting long I decided to buy this trimmer. I am posting this review after I have used it 4 times to finish my garden. I must say I am really happy with it. Some of the concerns raised by other reviewers are true to some extend, but I think they are exaggerated. Battery life is perfect for me. The first time I used it I ran out of battery when I was finishing my garden (25mts x 8mts so about 200sq mts). This was due to all edges having tough grass as I didn't had a trimmer before. But the trimmer nearly survived so I was quite happy with it. The subsequent times I was able to finish the job in one single battery since the grass was not too rough on the edges. Ultimately I decided to buy a second battery so I could always finish the job no matter how long the grass was. Indeed original Bosch spare batteries are expensive (~£60). Buying compatible ones will void the warranty and I wouldn't want to have a dodgy battery that could explode so I decided to buy the original ones only. I did notice that Bosch batteries are much cheaper when bought as part of a another product so I decided to take the plunge and buy a Bosch PSB 18 LI-2 Cordless 18 Volt Hammer Drill, 1 x Li-Ion Battery with battery that costed me £ 90. The way I looked at it is that the drill costed me "only" £ 30 and I now have 2 batteries I can use in both products so I am sure I will never run out of battery no matter what I am doing, drilling or mowing the lawn. The drill is excellent as well BTW.
With regards to the plastic blades being somehow "weak" this is true to some extend. I did use 3 blades on my first use, but I did notice I was learning to use the trimmer. On subsequent uses I was able to cut down to 2 blades per use and I might be able to do it with a single blade with more practice. The key is stay away from hard edges and only exposing the blade to grass. Other reviewers complained that the blades are very expensive. The pack of 24 original blades currently costs £9: (F016800183 Bosch ART 26 Accutrim Blades Pack of 24) so this won't break your bank although I do agree for a bit of plastic they are somehow a bit expensive at 37.5p each. Given that I will only use 1 o 2 per use the 24 pack should last me about a year, so it isn't a massive cost.
Aside from that all I can say is that the trimmer is very easy to use, not too noisy and very lightweight. And above all it will never fail to start like those petrol trimmers!

4.0 out of 5 stars Bosch vs Ryobi, 6 May 2010
Having owned a Ryobi Petrol Strimmer, anything, I mean anything (scissors, paper knife or cheese wire) would be more suitable than the Ryobi!

Despite being quite expensive...This Bosch Art26 Li seems to be the answer to noise, weight & ease of use.. It is just a small light weight machine, that with a little care gives a more than adequate cut etc. After use, my neighbours are still talking to me!.Now whether it can tackle 3/4 month old grass banks., I am not sure. But it works & has a few useful option like Plant preservation (The Ryobi you felt would take down full grown trees)! You can turn the motor on its side to give lawn edging.In all a good 4 stars so far (May 2010).

Unlike the 'other' strimmer this starts immediately & without arm/gut wrenching puling. It did two medium size lawns & recharged in about 3 hours.

3.0 out of 5 stars Remember it is only a strimmer, 4 May 2012
John (East Sussex UK) - See all my reviews

Using on an an allotment where there is no power it is either a cordless strimmer or a petrol one and I find petrol ones too much hassle to deal with so went with this. My only criticism is the short battery life. Fortunately I have a pair of Bosch batteries which came with my drill & can use those as back ups.

For the price this should be supplied with at least one spare battery and, until it is, it will remain so overpriced at £92 that 3 stars is quite a generous rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars good comparibily cheap cordless strimmer up to bosch's standard, 21 Aug. 2013
P. H. Hopkinson "phil.hopkinson" (yorkshire UK) - See all my reviews
this is a great little product-great for my allotment-no problems with the cutter-the battery life is between 20 and 30 mins -it helps if you don't repeatedly start the cutter -multiple starts shorten battery life(as an ex electrical engineer I know that-starting electric motors takes 7 times full load current!) Its easy to handle.Just do not expect it to cut brush wood -it was not designed for that.Weeds it handles satisfactorily.Used sensibily its great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Bosch post-sales service, 21 May 2012
A. P. Bridge "claudio" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought a ART-26 a couple of years ago (OK, from B&Q, cost about 90-100 GBP).. used it for a season and was very happy with it. Dusted it off this year, and it didn't work. Contacted Bosch Repair, who picked it up free-of-charge via DHL last week. Today, I received a completely new ART-26.

I'm impressed with the service, have several other Bosch appliances (dishwasher, fridge) and they are impressively designed and impressive to use... now also impressed with after-sales service! I'm a Bosch customer for life!

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad, 13 July 2013
S. J. Chapman (Southampton) - See all my reviews
I bought this because I already had the excellent Bosch Li-Ion cordless leaf blower so could swap batteries. But I was disappointed.

Main problems are that it doesn't cut through much, it's imprecise as I can't see where the cutter is and those pesky plastic blades break if you look at them. Every time I use it, I have to stop to fit a new blade every few minutes. I go through 4 blades each time. Whoever thought this system was better than plastic wire was deluded. Once my blades have run out, I will flog this on eBay to someone who doesn't know any better.

3.0 out of 5 stars Short battery life takes edge off strimmer, 30 Jun. 2012
Like another reviewer, I thought this would be a useful gadget for the allotment. Unfortunately, the battery is only good for about 15 mins, and if your garden has some long tough grass to cut like on my allotment, you might get less cutting time out of it. Annoyingly, the battery soon loses charge off the charger - I left it in the back of the car for a night when I didn't get to the allotment as planned and it was well on the way to flat by the time I connected it up. When all is charged though, it cuts pretty well. You can get packs of cheaper compatible cutting blades from general DIY stores. It is pretty light to use, though the telescopic shaft means the head tends to twist round gradually in use, no matter how tightly I lock down the telescopic arm. Rather expensive bit of kit though considering those caveats and spare batteries are v expensive (around £64).

2.0 out of 5 stars Ok, 17 Sept. 2011
It works fine , but the battery life is not so good ....
It'll do if you have a very small garden..
I have just ordered a spare battery , which is not cheap

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Battery Life, 11 April 2014
Mr. Andy Townsend (Chippenham England) - See all my reviews
I am a great fan of Bosch products but:

Bought this last year and it was great, now used it in the last few days and its just out of warranty and the strimmer does not get up to speed. It is obviously a poor battery and you put it near the grass and it stops!

The strimmer was great but Pse dont buy until they solve the battery, its a waste of money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bosch Grass Trimmer, 11 Sept. 2013
This beats wire trimmers. The plastic blade cuts quickly where nothing else has worked.
Vibration is a problem with 88 year old hands, but that doesn't apply to many people.
Best to read the instructions carefully as it has advanced battery controls. Just don't keep switching it on and off. Leave a gap and all's well.