5.0 out of 5 stars Carry Your Conscience in Your Pocket
I purchased this book to read on my android phone for a song ~ and the song which this book sings will now remain with me until I breathe my last.

Published on 24 Oct 2010 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Language issue!
Love the book but this version is in old English language so hard to read. Since purchased a newer translation of this work.
Published 8 months ago by Colin Wimsett

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Carry Your Conscience in Your Pocket, 24 Oct 2010

I was heavily into it in the 1980's, when I also loved it, when it became an in-pocket guide, neatly bound and stitched. I would open its small pages only to find myself sucked into the quiet area of the mind, the conscience, the place where we all go when we have the courage to be honest with ourselves. After every trip to this deep quiet corner I'd close the door behind me, refreshed, invigorated and ready to go out into the world and meet it with humility and joy. So deeply was I absorbed that I would sometimes gasp and think "If only everybody in the world would read this book, there would be no wars, no fighting or tension. Peace would break out in a Big Way and infect the entire planet." My preoccupations would increase and people would enquire, "What are you reading?" which was when my problems began: In this day and age it is rather off-putting, at least for people like me, for it gave the impression that I was a Raving Christian, and that is what I am not.

I am in fact a Raving Nobody, a person who hates to align himself with any creed, belief or group, as I believe that truth is universal and that people are people, that we should act with kindness and consideration to all men, indeed all of the animal, plant and mineral kingdom. So to be invited to people's pet churches and belief systems and to present yourself as a wise person was not my idea of a fun time. In fact it went totally against the grain of everything this deep, wise little book was saying. So away went the book, to settle into the back of the mind to compost itself away.

It surfaced again with the arrival of the Kindle, which appeared as a great device to hold in your hand, and later in a version you could read on your mobile phone. That also was the moment at which the book rose up from the ashes, shiny and new and gleaming and, as it seemed to me, more powerful than ever before. Or perhaps the power was the same, and some of my encrustations have crumbled off. Who knows?

I was stuck in a long queue in ASDA: a man was having a problem with his card and had to wait. People with loads were shifting uneasily, some still waiting to place their goods onto an already laden conveyor belt. Some of them brought out their phones to study their mini-screens and I followed suit, just an ordinary guy swimming in a wave of ordinary people. I read two verses, and everything fell quiet.

The queue began to move and before long it was my turn to pay. Everything was fine, God was in his heaven and all was indeed right with the world. It was a lovely drive back home.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

When working with this book, bear in mind the context as to where it was written. The author furnished his stunning work with imagery and words which were current at the time, and when we consider this, we readily understand that you don't have to be a Christian to drink its nectar.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Imitation of Christ, 9 Jun 2012
J. Collins - See all my reviews
A wonderful read. Recommended by none other than St Therese of Lisieux!!

It contains fabulous insights and deep meditations on the teachings of Jesus, as well as the Church Fathers, back to the time of the early Catholic Church - the time of the Apostles.

There is also some extremely helpful prayers before confession; some of which can be read verbatim in the Confessional, leading to a thorough examination of conscience and good confession.

Reading this book will definitely help your spiritual growth and understanding of your part in your salvation.

Not to be missed.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Imitation of Christ by Thomas a Kempis, 11 May 2013
This review is from: THE IMITATION OF CHRIST (Kindle Edition)
This brilliant book was intended for the use of monks and nuns in their meditations, but lay people everywhere - Catholic and Protestant - have found it a great help as well. It is a marvellous introduction to the essence of Christianity. If our leaders, including Church leaders, read it every day and meditated on it, the world would be a better place. The chapters are bite-sized you could read one easily just before turning out the bedside light. For the non-Christian who is curious about the Faith, it could be a very helpful introduction, explaining why Chritians believe that or that, and what they are supposed to do. The meditation on death, which is now almost a taboo subject in society, is particularly good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still a great personal help for Christians, 11 Oct 2013
This review is from: THE IMITATION OF CHRIST (Kindle Edition)
Kempis' book takes you on a personal journey of understanding the heart of Christianity. Each day you read a really helpful thought. Often written as a message from God to you or a heart felt plea to Him for help,followed by a reflection and a prayer. The original and still the best daily guide.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely translation with some old elegant language, 6 Jun 2014
Leon Davey - See all my reviews
This review is from: Imitation of Christ (Hardcover)
It looks nice and the translation is enjoyable. However this book should have (IMO) been slightly wider. I say this because its pages are slightly too narrow which means the text on the pages are bound to the spine too closely, causing you to put effort in holding the page flat; otherwise when reading the text it has a slight curve to it.

I find it a little annoying and not had a book with this problem before but it is still a worthy purchase. I read a chapter a day (sometimes more.)

4.0 out of 5 stars Deeply challenging, 19 April 2005
Oliver Lea "Oli Lea" (Portsmouth, England) - See all my reviews
This book really moved me. There's times when you find yourself getting on the defensive because you think to yourself "Surely that's not what being a Christian is about".
But when you examine it in your head, you find that the requirement for humility, submission and self-renunciation - though perhaps not clear cut criteria for salvation - are certainly Biblically sound paths to leading a model Christian life; that is to say, imitating Christ!
The author was clearly a monk, so the exact practices he prescribes are perhaps not for everyone (for example, his call that we should spend as little time with other human beings as possible), but reading this book will certainly mould the open-minded, Christ seeking Christian to exercise new ways of living a Christ-centered life.

5.0 out of 5 stars ebook, 2 Feb 2014
This review is from: THE IMITATION OF CHRIST (Kindle Edition)
A timeless classic. Another great ebook worth getting, Informative and easy to read it may help you on a daily basis if read everyday and reflecting about what is written

3.0 out of 5 stars Language issue!, 14 April 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic... very insightful, 10 Dec 2014
Kennu Scott (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Classic..... theology and has a major impact on my life. Incredible insight into human nature with guidance from "Christ" . Every man should have a glance at this work at some time in their lives. Let it soeak to your soul and Jesus will take you on a journey you wont forget. Either that it will make you mad in todays secular society.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought Provoking, 30 Nov 2013
I need to find some quiet time and space to fully appreciate this book, but Christmas hols are coming! a

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›