VAMPIRE DREAMS (BLOODSCREAMS No.1) Robert W Walker (Kindle Edition)
WEREWOLF'S GRIEF (BLOODSCREAMS No.2) Robert W Walker (Kindle Edition)
ZOMBIE EYES (BLOODSCREAMS No.3) Robert W Walker (Kindle Edition)

I downloaded VAMPIRE DREAMS as a free Kindle Book whilst browsing for another vampire story for which I could not remember the title or author and it wasn't until I started to read it that I realised that it was familiar. After some searching on my bookshelves I eventually discovered that it had previously been published as a Diamond Books paperback in 1991 under the title `Curse of the Vampire' and the author's earlier pen name Geoffrey Caine. There were in fact three books in the series all published in the US that year and never widely distributed in the UK and I would guess that all three were almost totally unobtainable by the mid-1990s. If I had bothered to read the reviews I would have discovered that another contributor had already made the connection but my search prompted me to buy all three Kindle editions and re-read them so definately not a waste of time.

Although a little bit dated now these stories are still a good read and probably introduced the first modern age vampire/werewolf hunter and of the three the first, Vampire Dreams, was in my opinion the best particularly as at that time they brought a new vampire image to print, a different species of humanoid, not the traditional un-dead bloodsucker, although strangely the author retained a lot of the old style myth elements. These are decently evil vampires not the willowy tortured souls of more recent fashion with a traditional outlook that places humans squarely on their preferred menu.

It was a lucky find as I am in the process of replacing most of my 5,000+ paperback collections with e-books; an essential move as we have recently relocated from a very large house to a centre city apartment; it was also a pleasure to revisit these stories after at least fifteen years.

As an aside the artwork for the covers of the first two paperbacks are well above average; worth scanning for the archives.

The Kindle Edition: Well presented with minimal editing issues. 5/5
on 6 June 2012
This is a forgotten gem from the early 1990's. Previously published as "Curse of The Vampire" under the pen-name Geoffrey Caine, VAMPIRE DREAMS is one of the most entertaining vampire novels I've ever read, with its appealing Van-Helsing-like central character, Abraham Stroud (a psychic former cop who dedicates his life to fighting evil), mesmerizing atmosphere, and inventive plot.

This is the first part of a four-book series (all available from Amazon), but it can also be enjoyed as a stand-alone story. Highly recommended.
on 28 October 2012
This is a really good read - fast and well structured - apart from one section that appears to have been repeated. I think the author must have re-written a couple of pages and then forgotten to remove the first draft, it left me feeling a little confused. Having said that, it was a minor blimp in an otherwise excellent tale. If this was corrected I would give this a five-star rating. Well worth a read.