5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous idea...
We've bought this for my 4 yr old for our holiday in America this year as hiring a booster seat seems to be so expensive and apparently the quality can vary dependant on the car hire depot itself.
We read all the reviews and decided to order one. It arrived very quickly and I am very impressed with the item.
It is very neat, not too bulky, looks good and feels...
Published 13 months ago by Al-Oh73

3.0 out of 5 stars Great product, quality lacking
Published on 16 Aug. 2010 by S. J. Mitchell

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous idea..., 23 Mar. 2014
It is very neat, not too bulky, looks good and feels sturdy enough to be sat on which I was a bit dubious about.
The backpack area is large enough to carry a few toys, games, snacks andd drinks etc for the flight.
I'd read a few reviews about the handles being badly stitched on and so I've pulled them about and they seem to be securely attached.
I'd also read that the seatbelt adjuster only sits on one side of the seat so you can only have the chair in one position of the car but this is incorrect, the seatbelt adjuster is detachable and can be used on either side of the seat, another great little touch.
The side arms click in and out of place and again are sturdy.
My only slight criticism is the seat itself is quite hard so for my little one's 'derriere' I'll be purchasing a small cushion for the long drives we're having to do in America.
All in all though, a fabulous idea and I'm extremely happy with this product, I would certainly recommend.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great product, quality lacking, 16 Aug. 2010
S. J. Mitchell (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Trunki Convertible Car Seat & Backpack Boostapak (Baby Product)
I bought this for my daughter for a trip to the US last week when I thought that it would be a great way to have a booster seat for taxis etc. It worked wonderfully well in that respect and held enough to keep her occupied during the flight. She loved it. However, as with other reviewers, the shoulder strap frayed and broke away from the base within about 5 minutes of carrying it. At that point it was only holding a drawing pad and some pencils so was not overfilled.

It's a great product and I would be happy to buy it again, but only once this issue has been addressed.

EDIT: Just to add, within 48 hours of contacting Trunki, i was holding a replacement cover (the cover comes off the hard shell). It has yet to be tested but Trunki's customer service is spot on, fast, helpful and very pleasant to deal with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 18 Jan. 2014
This is one of the best buys I have ever made online. My grandson loves it. It's so convenient when picking him up in the car, or if he and his mum are going out but being picked up by car later. It holds a change of clothes, favourite toys and other things important to a 3 year old. Slings over a shoulder for easy carrying and doesn't take up much rom when not in use.

5.0 out of 5 stars very handy, 23 May 2012
This is excellent, I bought it for taking on holiday in other countries, wanting to have a handy car seat solution for day trips on coaches etc. In the meantime its in the car,I filled ours with spare clothes and bits and pieces for those unfortunate travel sickness incidents! It fits nicely in the boot and stores all those bits and bobs neatly. We had to pick up another child the other week and I just got it out of the boot and put in the car and away we went. It starts from about age 4 upwards (my 3 year old is not big enough for it) you simply un-velcro the flap and the 2 hard plastic sides flip up and lock into place, there is a strap to hold the car seat belt in the correct shoulder position for smaller kids. When its time to pack away there is a button release on each piece, its folds down and fabric flaps re-velcro and cover all the moving parts. Fabric is thick and sturdy as are the zip, well made.I'm not sure a child would be happy lugging it about as a full backpack all day, but for those travel essentials, book,ds etc it would be fine. My 9 year old thinks its great. I would definately look at investing in this especially if you are going on a fly-drive holiday as its dual purpose and you can trust it, and its a great price and much cheaper than hiring a car seat when you get to your destination, and its also handy for those times when you have to transport other peoples children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for travelling, 5 Sept. 2011
Great product -ideal for plane journeys . Enough room to pack all you need for the flight and solves the problem of car seats on arrival whether you are renting a car or being collected by grandparents etc

5.0 out of 5 stars great solution for travel, 14 Jun. 2011
@iGlinavos (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This product does exactly what it says it will do. It is a nice little backpack with the capacity to contain a few items your kid will need (bottle,teddy,sweets). It looks very attractive as a backpack and my 3yr old was immensely proud to wear it at the airport. As a booster seat it works perfectly. It is very easy to set up and it allows the child to see well from the car's windows. While it is expensive as a booster seat, it is a very cost effective solution when travelling. The standard car rental firm will charge in the region of £3 a day for a child/booster seat to rent along with the car. If you are staying for a week or so, this means that this product will pay for itself and it is a saving on further trips. If you do not rent a car, but use a relative's car this is a good solution, often necessary to drive legally with a child. The product is of good quality. Only problem is that if your kid is not used to booster seats, she may have trouble sleeping in an upright position. A headrest of some sort that can be packed inside the trunki is a good idea.

5.0 out of 5 stars So so useful, 23 Sept. 2014
S Miller "sophie_on_a_stick" (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
So useful. Can be hand luggage, but took it on an airline that allow you to take car seats as extra so was perfect for that. My daughter loves it and it is so handy to sling in the boot of the car or lend to family members who pick her up from childcare. It was the same cost to buy this as it would have been to hire a car seat for the week on holiday

5.0 out of 5 stars Trunki Boostapak, 24 April 2011
This was a great buy, never been so pleased with a product as I was with this one. I am a nanny and the little boy I look after already has a Gruffalo Trunki which he loves and we use as his hand luggage. We were travelling from London to Edinburgh then a couple of weeks later going from there to Spain. Whilst away we were going to be using family members cars then a hire car once we got to Spain. This was a godsend. I used this as my hand luggage which has plenty of space for your travelling essentials and also a handy pocket in the flap for passport etc. When getting to our destinations it was so easy to set up as a booster seat, no problems with it what so ever, just make sure you have what you need out of it before you sit the child on top. This was great value, we will use this a lot as we are always off visiting someone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab seat!, 1 July 2010
The trunki boostApak is fantastic. We bought it to take on holiday, as this was cheaper than hiring a seat for the duration from the hire car company. It's already been worth it's weight in gold before we've taken it on the 'plane. Our daughter uses it to go home with friends from school. The back pack carries her change of clothes and stuff and yet is easy enough for her to put on her back and change to a booster seat in a friend's car, and she's age 5. When friends come home with us we've got an extra seat ready (that doesn't take up too much space when not in use) and they all argue over whose turn it is to use the boostApak. Popular all round!

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 13 July 2012
We now have two of these, I was waiting for my youngest to reach the right weight. One green, one pink. We can now travel by plane without a massive Britax car seat for the hire car at the other end. Hurraaaaaaaaah!!
It is quite heavy on its own (that's because you want it to be sturdy), and since you probably don't expect a very little one to carry your allowed 7kg of hand luggage in there, you might be happy to know that although it's not massive, snacks, a few colouring books and beloved comforters and a water bottle will definitely find their spot in there.
The mesh pocket inside could do with being a single pocket, not a skinny one you can only keep the instructions in and a larger one. The instructions could be printed onto the fabric itself, on the opposite side, save the trees, people, save the trees!
The mesh on the inside of the straps do prevent the bag from slipping, however, it is painful when the children are wearing tank tops, and to be honest, when you're traveling and the kids start kicking up a fuss about that when you're already carrying the equivalent of a 49ft container in your hand luggage, you have your laptop bag over your shoulder, your boarding passes and passports between your teeth, your handbag around your neck, and the security guys ask you to remove your shoes, and stick your electronics in the tray for the scanner, you may want to curse at those lovely Trunky people... But then you remember what it was like to get a Britax birth to 18kg seat THROUGH the scanner itself, and you're ready to hang those Boostapaks around your big toe instead of telling the kids to JUST GET ON WITH IT!!

Do get one. It's a great thing to have.

Edit: one year on a strap broke. I had to sew it back on, do watch out. Still love them!