on 5 January 2005
Fans of police procedural TV - from the Bill to Prime Suspect - and the racier elements of chick-lit will love Maureen Carter's work. Imagine Bridget Jones meets Cracker. Her protagonist Sergeant Bev Morriss is instantly recognisable to anyone who has ever met serving police officers off-duty. I can't personally vouch for the authenticity of the portrayal of prostitutes (the other "working girls" of the title) but there's certainly a ring of truth about the language of the Brummie underclass Ms Carter describes. In the best Agatha Christie tradition, the whodunnit element doesn't cheat the reader - all the clues are there - while the subject matter - the murder of a fifteen year old prostitute - and the contemporary treatment place the narrative firmly in a more modern tradition - gritty, pacy, realistic and, as befits a former Newsnight presenter, televisual. When's the TV adaptation going to hit our screens?
on 4 November 2007
I have just read Working Girls. It is such a relief to find a detective such as Sgt Bev Morris, who does not suffer from alcoholism and the other angsts, which seem almost compulsory nowadays. She is a warm but feisty character and is developed well, by Maureen Carter's careful build up and taut writing.
I was so impressed that I have placed an order for her other 3 books and look forward to her fifth next year.
Bev Morris is someone that the reader has an immediate liking and empathy for and is a valuable addition to our fictional police officers.
Mike Herwin
When a young prostitute is murdered Sergeant Bev Morris takes it personally and is willing to do all it takes to find the murderer, especially as she has a gut feel it's the girl's pimp. This is a hard hitting novel and not for the faint hearted as the crimes are quite gruesome and the violence is almost casual. I thought it painted a very good picture of the seedier side of life, both the highs and lows and dangers involved and I haven't read a book before which showed the girls' human side so well. It also showed the ambivalent nature of their relationship with the police.
This is a multi-layered, nuanced novel, not so much in the plot which is the straightforwardish hunt for a killer, but in the interpersonal relationships between the characters and I think it will stick with me for a while.
on 7 August 2008
I read this book quite some time ago, and thought I had already reviewed it!
This is a staggering first novel, with a heartfelt yet gritty plot. It introduces Bev Morriss and her 'unique' approach to policing. The characters are well drawn out, the plot gripping and exciting leaving you sad to reach the end and wanting more.
I totally disagree with the two bad reviews given here, i can only imagine they are reading a different book or have recently graduated from the point crime teen series. Or despite protestations otherwise, are possibly jealous failed authors with a grudge...which might make an interesting plot for a future book!
Carter goes from strength to strength and boy! Did she start strong.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 13 November 2013
I first read this book in 2012/13. And I then went on to buy all the other books in the series. In typical me style, I have not read the others yet, so as i'm going through some of my series of books, I decided to re read this, to remind myself what had happened before I start book 2.
It was just as good the 2nd time around, and I soon started to remember the characters.
The Main one being Bev Morris. SGT Bev Morriss is determined to find out who is behind the murder of a young girl, and goes back to basics to try and figure it out.
A Brilliant first book in the series, and if this one is anything to go by, then the other 6 I have bought in the series can only get better.
this book does grab you in pretty early, and is a great read for any crime/police procedural fans.

From the Back Cover
Just 15 years old...
brutalised...
dumped in a park...
throat slashed...
schoolgirl prostitute Michelle Lucas died in agony and terror
... utterly alone.
The sight breaks the heart of Detective Sergeant Bev Morriss of West Midlands Police. She thought she was hardened, inured, but gazing at Michelle's pale, broken body she is consumed by a cold fury.

She knows this case is different - this is the one that will push her to the edge.

Plunging herself into the seedy heart of Birmingham's vice-land she struggles to infiltrate the deadly jungle of hookers, evil pimps and violent johns. But no one will co-operate, no one will break the wall of silence...

Is it fear or guilt?

When a second victim dies, Bev knows time is running out. If she is to win the trust of the working girls - she has to take the biggest, most dangerous gamble of her life... out on the streets!
on 24 February 2014
Perhaps a bit predictable, but a good read. Hoping that Bev continues to develop as the series progresses.

The plot kept me guessing until the end, and that's as it should be.
on 13 February 2013
After picking up the book Working Girls in the local library last year, I was thrilled to bits that it was being made available as a download. Francis Barber was an absolute perfect choice for the narrator of this tale, with just the right tempo and attitude for the story to be engaging, as well as compelling. Maureen's creation, Bev Morriss, is the no nonsense cop who you could easily see on the small screen, and would knock Cracker and Prime Suspect into a cocked hat. I can't wait to see it!
on 19 March 2014
This book was simply a great read. I was hooked very quickly into this fast paced story and found it hard to put down.

The murder of a young prostitute starts a sequence of events in the life of Bev, a no nonsense sergeant at the local Police station.

Maureen Carter writes her characters with a mixture of real grit, compassion and empathy. The story has you squirming with fear one minute and then laughing at the witty reparte between the characters the next.
on 10 December 2014
Fantastic read. I stayed awake until 3am for 3 nights as I was so absorbed in it. Couldn't put it down at all. Loved the way the writing made me laugh in every chapter - even though it is about girls murders and their hard lives. It's a great combination and I will definitely be reading the author's other novels. I read up to 7 novels a week and find it hard to find gems like this. I can say this was one of my most recommended!!
on 9 December 2014
When a working girl gets murdered, Bev is convinced it must be her pimp. However finding Charlie Hawes is no mean feat. No one will talk and the other girls seem in imminent danger.
Well written with a good plot! I look forward to other Bev Morris mysteries 👍