5.0 out of 5 stars clean mouth - clean toothbrush
Published on 29 Oct 2010 by randy1

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent but disposable product
Published on 2 Sep 2010 by Graham Turnbull

5.0 out of 5 stars clean mouth - clean toothbrush, 29 Oct 2010
This review is from: Philips Sonicare HX6952/71 FlexCare Rechargeable Toothbrush 2-Pack with Soft Travel Case, Travel Charger and UV Sanitiser (Personal Care)
I have had various types of Sonicare toothbrushes for nearly 15 years. They have always been superb in their efficiency of cleaning but we always had to change the head for individual use. Now not only do we have individual bases but an easy to use cleaning system for the heads as well. In that 15 years I have never needed a professional clean my BPE (Professional Scoring of Basic Periodontal(Gum)Disease) are all 0's, I am 60 years of age and a dentist. This version of the product is nearing perfection!

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent but disposable product, 2 Sep 2010
Graham Turnbull (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Buyer beware. I like this product very much. It does what it says and the sanitiser is a really nice feature. I appreciated when after about a year and a half, Philips replaced my faulty toothbrush. However, now, after 14 months, it has failed again. Philips can not tell me what the expected life of the product should be. They can only tell me that it depends on usage. I am the only one that uses this toothbrush. If you are buying this for a family, keep in mind that the product might now last more than a few months. My last two failed in less than the warranty period but of course the warranty is based on the date of the initial purchase. I will buy again because it is such a good product but I think that Philips has a quality problem with this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars What on Earth have I been using for the last 30 years?, 29 Oct 2010
James Walls (Nr Stroud, Gloucester) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
[...] for a toothbrush? Come on, there was no way on earth this was going to get 5 stars unless one of my back teeth actually grew back again

But I have had it for just under a week now and I haven't stopped licking my teeth and I am still shocked at how incredibly clean they feel - I've been using an electric toothbrush for years so what on Earth have I been doing wrong.

Well, I haven't been using Sonic

The first thing I noticed when I read the instructions was this odd little feature called Easystart. For the first 14 uses it slowly increases the power so you can get used to it. Oh honestly I thought to myself, who would need that? But because I wanted to review this from the start I didn't deactivate it so the very first time I used it it was technically at a very low sonic level and I swear to you here and now I actually yelped!

This sonic lark feels totally different from just a common or garden rotating electric toothbrush and if you haven't used this sonic technology before then let your mouth get used to it over a week as directed.

There are 3 timings for the main wash, a quick 1 minute clean, a more traditional 2 minute clean and a 3 minute clean and massage.
The massage function can be used as a separate function in itself and it feels wonderfully odd and sounds a bit like a light sabre fight in your mouth
The last function is a sensitive mode which gives a great clean on a slightly gentler level

Now onto the sanitiser... I'm not entirely sure about this and this stems from the very lazy doctrine "I've never needed one before"
It works well, you take the brush head off, open the door, place it, close it and press the power button and the logo lights up to show the UV light is on. They say it kills 99% of germs which means every time you brush you are having an even cleaner experience. I don't know whether you are or not, but it does give me an extra confidence feeling. The UV sanitiser automatically turns itself off after 10 minutes so once you get into the habit of brushing and then taking the head off and UV-ing it you'll never have to worry about it.

I am absolutely thrilled with this toothbrush. My teeth have honestly never felt so clean and it leaves me in no doubt whatsoever that this toothbrush will improve my dental health.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Close Brush with new technology, 30 Oct 2010
M. J. Jacobs "michael jacobs" (Edgware, London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
How do you review something like a toothbrush? It's a very special toothbrush - it's the most expensive one I have ever used, and came in the biggest toothbrush box I've ever seen.

The secret - and the thing that makes it special - is that there is a vibrating head which has a shaped head to get between your teeth and clean them very well. After use, the head can be removed and placed in a UV cleaning unit. This doubles as a charger, but unlike any other device I have used, there is no plug or socket. I am assuming that it charges by induction. That's a good thing, because you don't want an open socket, and rubber, plastic or silicon seals are going to fail, creating a risk of water damage to the electronics inside. All good, pratical, and imaginative design. Bear in mind that the charger is a 2-pin type, for "shaver" sockets, and if your bathroom is too modern, such sockets don't seem to be permitted near water any more, so you'll possibly need to buy a mains adaptor plug in order to charge it up elsewhere.

It looks very stylish, and there are various controls to get to know. You can have a serious clean, a mild clean, or a light massage. There is an on/off, along with a level setting. It is comfortable to hold, although the buzzing does take a little getting used to.

The package is rounded off with a travel case, a selection of coloured neck rings to "personalise" your brush and distinguish it from the other one of the pair (this was a double pack).

Coupled with a good toothpaste, floss, and all the other stuff one should attend to, this should help as part of your daily oral hygeine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Takes a little time to get used to., 30 Jan 2011
Excellent product overall even though the packaging is on the large scale! Having used the product for over a month now I can really feel a difference to my teeth. If anything it is a little too powerful at the start and you have to avoid the back of the brush hitting the opposite teeth you are brushing as the vibrations go through your head! After a little while you can adopt a different technique and you will notice a difference to your teeth and your gums. Well thought out product with timing intervals to ensure a good level of coverage. The UV sanitizer is very easy to use. Well recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smile please..., 5 Aug 2010
Vince Weldon (England) - See all my reviews
When my friendly neighbourhood dentist suggested an upgrade from the Oral-B he'd prescribed me to use a few years ago I thought why not...then I came home and Googled the product...my initial reaction was to baulk at the cost...lot of money for a toothbrush - but I remembered the demo in the surgery and thought what the heck, my gums or my cash....and the gums won...and believe me a month on I'm really glad that was the case.

The flexibility on the back draft took a bit of getting used to, especially when trying to get to the back of my molars (how they manage to get such a powerful jet into such a thin head is beyond my technical know how)....but that was soon history. Twice a day I blast away and my teeth have never felt smoother, or looked shinier.

I'm still not happy with the cost - though the special offer via Amazon is very cost effective - and I'm not happy with the cost of the replacement heads...but I'd sooner have good teeth when alls said and done - and this little item is helping me achieve that.

Well recommended to anyone with the money to spare!

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressed!, 5 Nov 2010
For years, my wife and I have bought Oral B electric toothbrushes and liked them to use but been very frustrated by their short recharge interval. Add in that the batteries have given out on all four units after 2-3 years and we felt it was time for a change of brand. We checked out the Which reviews and decided on Philips. This dual pack has made us wish we switched sooner. After owning these brushes for about a month, we have not yet had to recharge them and there is no discernible deterioration in performance. In addition, the included UV sanitiser unit means you can forget about that slight nagging doubt about hygiene that will have arisen in the mind of anyone who has inspected the grotty insides of a well-used toothbrush head. All this within a very keenly priced package that includes 2 brushes with heads and the sanitiser unit makes this an very good value purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product and good price, 1 Aug 2010
Both my husband and I are very happy with the twin set of Sonicare toothbrushes. We switched to Sonicare from manual toothbrusing and we are so happy, we would never go back. My teeth feel so clean after I brush!
The product is excellent and very good value for the money as a single Sonicare with Sanitiser is GBP 200 at Boots and we got this set fpr GBP 147!!! It is also very useful for us as it has two toothbrush bases and this way either of us can take his own toothbrush with him if we travel separately.
I totally recommend the set to a couple or family!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but you will need to sockets to charge both brushes, 30 July 2010
R. Willis "russwillis" (London) - See all my reviews
I looked around many places for different models of the Philips Sonicare toothbrush. The different numbers are particularly confusing, as seems the trend with ALL Philips products! As far as I could fathom, this set is for the 2 of the most advanced model of the Philips Sonicare FlexCare toothbrush, coming with -
2 x handles
2 x heads
1 x Ultra Violet Sanitiser (takes 2 heads)
2 x travel case
2 x charging bases

I have used the brush a few times now and it does make a noticeable difference to the clean feeling of teeth. This is most obvious for rear teeth, which are the most difficult to reach with a manual toothbrush. You basically hold the head of the Sonicare Toothbrush on the tooth (minimal movements help ensure bristles get in between teeth, but brushing motion is not required) and the Sonic movement of the bristles does the rest.

The auto timer function pauses at 30 second intervals, 4 times, for brushing quadrants of the mouth.
I would have preferred 6 times, as I like to brush (upper and lower teeth) in 3 stages - Left rear, Right rear, front.
It is simple to just start a new brushing cycle again and stop at the second interval.

I left both units charging for 24 hours prior to use and have been using for nearly 2 weeks, without need for recharging.

The only reason I have not given 5 stars, is due to the following frustration.
The main base holds/charges only one toothbrush! Located on main base next to the UV sanitiser.
The set comes with 1 x additional individual charger base Philips Sonicare Flexcare/Healthywhite replacement charger, but this means you will need 2 x sockets to charge both toothbrushes.
The Philips literature that came with the toothbrushes, states that the toothbrushes should be kept on the charger base, to ensure the toothbrush is always charged and ready for use.
The plugs are the same as for an electric shaver, so requires a shaver socket. Most modern bathrooms come with these shaver sockets, either stand alone or incorporated into a light, but not usually with 2 sockets!
If you do not have a shaver socket in your bathroom, you will need an 2 x additional adapters, for this set - Shaver adaptor
I have looked to see if Philips produce a charger base docking station for 2 x toothbrushes, including the UV sanitiser, but have not yet found one.

As I am a qualified Electrician, I am considering connecting both charger bases together, to utilise 1 plug, but there is no way to physically connect the bases together. Also this is sure to invalidate any warranty.
For the moment I will only charge the toothbrushes when necessary (I want to do this the first time anyway, for the health of the battery, fully charge - fully discharge - fully charge), but will likely continue to do this long term.
This then means that I do not have the bases in the bathroom, leaving only the toothbrush units on the shelf.

I have to seriously criticise Philips in their design for this set. It IS marketed as a set, as it all comes in one box.
Why they have not created a 1 unit charger base, for the entire set (2 x toothbrushes and 1 x UV sanitiser), is beyond me!
For such a well known manufacturer, to be content to make up the set with individual parts from other items, seems a POOR decision to me.
Way to shoot yourselves in the foot Philips!
Had it not been for this, it would have definitely had 5 stars.

On a purely financial note, the price was by far the cheapest I found anywhere online, 50% off at the time of purchase.
It also qualified for `Prime' delivery, meaning next day delivery was free. This does require that you subscribe to Amazon `Prime' services (49 per year), but works to my advantage as I order things from Amazon reasonably regularly.
If you do not subscribe to `Prime', this product is offered with free super saver delivery.

2.0 out of 5 stars Cleans teeth but breaks down too soon, 16 Oct 2013
Firstly, this does clean your teeth well! Sanitizer is a waste of time and space really - hot tap is good enough.

First set was replaced after one year as one failed at the connection to the brush head - even though it is not removed frequently. This one has just failed in one motor unit - all the lights have started to flash when not in use and it makes some strange noises when charging. Just outside guarantee this time. Won't be buying aother at that price.