Format: Audio CD|Change

on 25 October 2010
Spectacular!

It's closer than you can say about this new work from Phil Collins! At the first minute I felt something strange in the sound, expect a crystal clear sound, like all their albums, and felt some distortions that additional time be perceived as equal to the original arrangements! It was somewhat surprising, because only someone with the expertise of Phil could pull that off! After watching the DVD .. was there that I realized exactly said by itself! 03 things! There are 25 tracks, he and his record company were worried! For me it could be a double album! This album is a feast, a feast of emotions, joy, memories and I'm sure anyone in my age group, will buy it because it is a must! The second is, buy without fear, here in Brazil, I know all tracks, I'm an audiophile masters 50 and 60 years and especially this album is a gem! I even touched you. have recorded 02 of Carole King (One of the greatest exponents of rock). And the third is welcome on his return Phil, And with this one so special! I love you. face
on 24 August 2011
Forget what all the so-called critics say about this album. If you've done what Phil Collins has done to date I think you're entitled to put together an album of YOUR favourites. If you're a sucker for all the old soul and motown type stuff you'll love this. The title track (actually the last track) has a haunting feel about it and lets your mind wander back to the days you'd almost forgotten. The rest are just classic tracks and a few you've not heard for a long while, if at all. Well worth the money !!
on 25 February 2016
Only purchased this CD out of interest having purchased the first two deluxe editions recently released Have to say I absolutely love this extended edition and having loved Motown from my teenage years this was a trip down memory lane. Great album and Phils versions of 'Papa Was A Rolling Stone ' 'In My Lonely Room' 'Standing In The Shadow of Love' are superb. Also I was pleasantly surprised with 'Do I Love You' and 'Going Back'.. Pure treat to my ears and soul. Go on .....treat yourself. Phil Johnson
on 5 January 2011
This is a wonderful album, not because of Phil Collins (but it was his idea), but because of the incredible sound from the backing group. Layer upon layer of perfect music. You don't need to like Mowtown to love what Phil has done here, just sit back and soak in the sound! Some would say why not just make a compilation of the original tracks? Hardly anyone would have bought it and a 21st century audience would not be encouraged to seek out more Mowtown for themselves. Buy this and do that!
on 19 September 2010
Phil Collins doesn't need to achieve anything more in music and his legacy is secure. He was recently inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame with his other Genesis colleagues. So, when you hear this album you know this is a labour of love with songs that are very dear to Phil's heart. It says everything for Phil's talent that he was able to secure the services of the Funk Brothers who played on the original records.

This album is a special one and manages to recreate the orignal sound and feel of these classic Motown songs. Alongside the heavyweights, it's a delight to hear lesser known numbers such as 'In My Lonley Room' which are given a superb rendition.

The Stevie Wonder ballads 'Blame it on the Sun' and 'Never dreamed you'd leave in Summer' are arranged and sung beautifully, while the title track is Collins at his very best.

Everything is alright for sure with this album!
on 21 September 2011
Not the best Phil has done, think he could have picked some better songs from the huge tamla mowtown rnage of tracks he could have chosen.
on 21 March 2013
A LETTER TO MR PHIL COLLINS.
Dear Mr.Collins
It is with the greatest regret that I wish it to be known that to all who read this review that in my humble opinion this is without doubt your poorest album I have had the mis-fortune to hear from your great self. I wondered why a man of your talent (who could forget the first time we heard your "champagne moment" the euphoric In the air tonight!) needed to record an album of motown/soul classics when all us fans who worship the very ground you walk on would have much prefered some original self-penned recordings from your good self? Or hows about getting
round to some serious re-mastering of your entire collection with bonus tracks thrown in?
I understand that the motown/soul thing is something you wanted to record for a while.I wish you hadn't bothered.
A disgruntled person.
on 29 October 2010
Bought this for my dad as a birthday present. He's over the moon with it. If you want to hear the originals, buy them. If you want to hear Phil Collins, buy this. Great album.
on 8 April 2014
I have seen several critics take this album apart, well I say congrats Phil Collins I believe this album is not just his version of mowtown but more of a tribute as the album title says Going Back. Yes we have has many different styles and some very strong worded songs from Phil, this album is light, refreshing and to all true Phil Collins fans out there a must have, fair not what you may expect but hey he has always been one to change style and tune.
on 10 March 2011
I've always loved Phil Collins' music ever since i was little as well as many soul classics. Theres always somebody with their version on the classics and for the most part they have no love for the songs. With this cd you can tell phil has great passion for every track on it and it shows, resonating throughout to produce a fantastic soulful masterpiece. Moreover its worth purchasing the dvd included version as you get a total of 29 tracks!