5.0 out of 5 stars Can't believe my 8yr old can touch type

1.0 out of 5 stars Not compatible with all Mac OSX
Published on 10 Feb. 2011 by Rebell

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't believe my 8yr old can touch type, 7 Dec. 2010
HHL Vaudrey "Toastie" (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: KAZ Version 20.5 - Learn To Touch Type in 90 Minutes (PC/Mac) (CD-ROM)
My 8 yr old son has used this twice for about an hour or so each time. He can now type the whole keyboard without looking, albeit slowly. I cannot believe it. As someone who types about 70 wpm myself, I know how long it took for me to learn the keyboard. He is delighted and so am I (jealous actually). I'm going to get my 5yr old daughter on it when he's finished. And there is a sample lesson on their website so you can try it before you buy, I didn't find it till after I'd bought it though.

4.0 out of 5 stars Installs easily, low cost way to learn to type, 18 Mar. 2011
Hugo Minney "hugie" (Durham, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
It's always difficult to compare typing tutors, but KAZ is perfectly competent.

I bought this for a 70-year-old friend who has to learn to type so as to keep in touch with family and grandchildren all over the world. It behaves itself very well, only does the basics (teaches you to type and use the keyboard), and that's exactly what my friend wanted.

I learnt to touch type on a mainframe computer in 198x. I bought a different programme for my daughters, Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing Platinum V20 (Mac/PC). So I'll compare KAZ with Mavis Beacon

Ways KAZ is better than Mavis Beacon

Works (properly) with Windows 7
Installs quickly and easily without a fuss
doesn't install lots of extra utilities like pop-up alerts to tell you when to take a break
Very simple - no choice = no confusion

Features that it is lacking
Record of progress over time (how well you did yesterday and last week, how much progress you've made)
Variety of fun exercises

All in all, a good choice for someone who isn't terribly computer literate so the ease of installation is a bonus, and who wouldn't want all of the fancy features anyway.

4.0 out of 5 stars Kaz typing course, 3 July 2010
A. M. Stirling "ACS" (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a good course, easy to understand and use. however it is difficult to back up a step without starting all over again! i recommend it though.

4.0 out of 5 stars 90 mins?, 14 Feb. 2011
I. L. Johnston "gaellus" (Ayrshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Whew! I wish it had taken me that length of time. Still, it is a great way to learn touch typing, with good exercises too. And it's amazing how you learn without looking at the keyboard. It is a bit of a pain having to insert the software everytime you want to use it though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 14 May 2013
I really have learned to touch type in no time with this. Amazing. The CD had a problem - the words didn't wrap round at the end of a line when I typed. But the KAZ people sorted it out immediately and gave me a free online version instead. It was a bug they've now fixed apparently. Anyway, it's fun and it works.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not compatible with all Mac OSX, 10 Feb. 2011
Learn to Touch Type in 90 minutes - Kaz is not compatible with newer versions of Macs. You need Classic (application) to support the Kaz software and it is no longer part of the operating system for Mac OSX (I'm lead to believe from .3 and above). Do a search on the internet for 'not supported by Classic' and you will find it's a big problem, even for techie's (which I'm not). I'm sure it's a great piece of software, if it works on your system.
PS - I had no choice but to give it one star as the Amazon system wouldn't let me upload it! Technology? I'll stick to books in future!

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid, 23 Feb. 2015
Very slow and frustrating, certainly not even close to other touch typing software which is on the market. Also not the recommended method for touch typing, just someones idea of the best way to do it, no research into it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Outdated and overpriced, 12 May 2013
The software is basic, with dated graphics and no progress reports. As stated below, having to put the CD in the drive in order to run it is an unnecessary irritation, but very much in keeping with its 1998 vibe.

1.0 out of 5 stars not great, 23 Jun. 2013
really difficult to feel motivated by this.I know typing isn't a fun thing to learn but this made it so much more boring and so I bought something else, still can't do more than 25 wpm

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 24 Feb. 2015
C. R. Narraway "C J Cherryh fan" (Dorset England) - See all my reviews
Even better than previous versions

KAZ Version 20.5 - Learn To Touch Type in 90 Minutes (PC/Mac)
KAZ Version 20.5 - Learn To Touch Type in 90 Minutes (PC/Mac) by Gotham New Media (Mac OS X, Windows 7 / Vista / XP)