5.0 out of 5 stars A Good receiver package with an affordable price!
Hi This is a good receiver package. I searched many forums and company sites almost 3-4 months before buying this product.It bought almost one and half month before. I did not faced any problem with the unit.Only thing I changed is the cable. I replaced it with an oxygen free copper cable with a better core diameter.Now it sounds better.
If you need an extra bass...
Published on 30 July 2010 by Sumesh

3.0 out of 5 stars Subwoofer problem
The subwoofer has an issue: at low volumes is "popping", meaning goes off, and then on imediatelly. It seems it is related to the "auto stand by" function, that is not designed properly.

The message from the Onkyo service team I received is: "this issue is reported to our R&D department.
We are still waiting for a solution."

So the system is...
Published on 29 Jan 2011 by Alexandru Lucian

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good receiver package with an affordable price!, 30 July 2010
This review is from: Onkyo HT-S5305B 3D Ready 5.1 AV Receiver and Speaker Package (Electronics)
If you need an extra bass and Bhooomm..., better you chose only the receiver and chose another speaker package.This sub-woofer does not have a cross-over frequency selection function. But that we can do in the receiver itself.
Otherwise it is a good package.

For listening music I am using the external port, it is giving good out put. (I dont have an onkyo Ipod dock.)

Normally I am watching movies from an Iomega multimedia player(Pro HD). It sounds great. Another important factor is, how do you like to hear sounds...we can change speaker configurations, so it will delever sounds accordingly.
Usually I am not listening radio using receiver, but it also great to hear.
I am not able to tell about the features such as ARC and 3D, because I dont have ARC supporting TV.

Finally I recommend this product for those who needs an above average in an economy price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant, 4 Jun 2010
I bought this system a couple of days ago on the advice of a friend,and I have to say that the sound from it is unbelievable,the entire system outputs 650W and trust me,you wont be able to turn the volume up to even close to its maximum level, its that good.

My main reason for buying this system was for my Ps3,And I was not disapointed,the setup is simple,tho you will need 2 HDMI cables and then its just a matter of connecting one cable from the ps3 or bluray player to this unit,and another HDMI cable from the unit to your tv...setup is incredibly easy and if you want to, you can adjust the sound level for each individual speaker very easily by using the handy on screen menu.

If you are looking for a cinema surround system for either films or games then get this one, you wont regret it,Modern Warfare 2 sounds unbelievable through it on the ps3 !

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect value for the money, 14 Jun 2010
Kiril Iliev (Sofia, Bulgaria) - See all my reviews
The first thing I did when I received the Onkyo was to play the multiple sound award winner movie Saving Private Rhyan by Steven Spielberg. The sound was so impressive that my 2 year daughter got scared by it and started crying. The bombing, the bullets etc. sounded so real that we felt like we were at the landing beach. It had the full package - low, mid and high frequencies with no distortion. I put the volume so high, that it became unpleasant to be in the room, and yet the sound was so clear like the system was telling us - I could do much more, could you? The bass was not distorted, the mids and highs were clear.

Next thing was to put on some music. The Dolby Pro Logic II was distributing the 2 channel input sound to the 5.1 speaker very well. Since I have all my connections digital, the sound was very clear and it was pleasure to hear the songs in a way I have never heard them before.

Wiring was a piece of cake, since Onkyo made colour coding for the wiring. All the speakers are labelled - front right, surround left etc. and all have different colours for the cables. The only thing that was a bit counter intuitive was that the front speakers should go in the big slots, but there's also a small slot with the same colour code. So I first hooked it up in the jacks I thought they should go and I had no sound from the front. Then I read the manual and fixed the "problem".

It is also good to mention that the system is hooked with the latest HDMI cable specs (1.4) which has the audio return from a compatible TV, so you can do everything with only one cable.

On the design side, the system is very elegant and the piano black color perfectly matches my TV.

In general I'm very satisfied with the system and highly recommend it for the budget buyer who wants good sound and doesn't want to spend a fortune. I also think that this is the perfect system for a flat. Maybe if you live in a house and your neighbours are far away, then you could put the monster speakers and get the theatre sound. Since this is not the case for me, I feel like this is the perfect system for my needs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excelent sound quality, very good for PS3 System !!!, 17 Nov 2010
Excelent equipement! I bought it the last month! I'm very happy with it, great sound. It's impressive!!! I have never had one before! And now only I want to watch TV series and movie with Dolby Prologic and DTS audio system.

I have connected one PS3 in 1080p by HDMI and sound is very good even if you set HDMI audio mode in raw bitstream, because by default the PS3 sends audio in PCM Multichannels mode, the ONKYO detects automatic the kind of source sound and work perfectly!!!

The deep bass subwoofer is amazing, I like a lot of the bass sound even with low volumen (20 - 30) the sound is deep and great!

Sometime if you turn on the receiver and later turn on subwoofer then you can listen flicking in subwoofer system when are playing with low volumen.

A range of possibilities is very big, 600 W in my little flat is more than enough. I usually set volumen under 30 point and seems that I'm inside the game.

Play to Silent Hill or Resistance 2 with ONKYO is a really good experience and I think that now I can't back to stereo sound.

ONKYO HT-538 Receiver is a great Audio System, 3 HDMI up to HDMI 1.4 (ARC adn 3D) with very good features, like CINEMA FILTER and his four DSP Mode.

I'm agree with other reviews. I had liked that ONKYO had included one UP-A1 dock station for Ipod in package.

If you decide purchase this item, you can know that price is affordable and dont disappoint you!!!

I like so much! xD And I'm very happy with this purchase!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic product!, 13 Sep 2010
I have had this setup for a couple of months now and it just sounds incredible everytime! The bass is deep but does not distort and the satellites reproduce sound impeccably well!

The setup is fairly straightforward as it is all colour co-ordinated and unlike a lot of systems, you get 2 sets of 8m speaker wire for the surrounds.

My only gripe is that the hdmi output does not work too well. Sometimes it outputs perfectly but then other times it only outputs sound. I have tried different cables and ports but it only happens with the system. And the fact that after paying so much, you need to pay more for DAB or an iPod dock!! But then I guess this is down to the market and not many people buy a receiver and speaker setup for this reason alone.

All in all, I am very happy with the sound and it takes pride of place in my living room!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding sound quality!!!, 8 Oct 2010
very good home theatre system... just took 5 minutes to setup and understand the functions.. .. it has three important funtion : movie' music' & games' .......... 3 HDMI inputs for pc' bluray/dvd' & ps3/Xbox' ...
I liked the quality of the sound.. its very realistic and rich.......
I played Call of duty modern warfare II / Avatar Bluray / KingKong bluray.... trust me i felt like i m in there''

but only one thing i dint like is that ..it dosen't come with HDMI cable(£3-7) ... and iphone dock(£59)...
so u have to buy it separately.

Volume goes upto 80 (Max)... i could reach 70 (for movies)...and 55(for songs) not more then that :)
....... :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Onkyo AV Receiver and speaker package, 12 Nov 2010
C. Hart (Herts, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I saw this equipment demonstrated in a London store but wasn't prepared to pay their price. Onkyo have a very good reputation for quality and the facilities on the receiver were what I wanted. All items in this package are quality in both build and performance. The speakers seem a little lightweight at first but that belief changes when they start to perform! The receiver itself leaves many other manufacturers way behind when it comes to build standard - excellent. The facility within the receiver to use one HDMI cable to connect all your other equipment to your TV is so sensible AND successful. I have yet to get involved with 3D but I will have the sound system for it when I do. All in all, this really is an excellent buy; easy to connect, simple to operate and it gives a great performance, nomatter what you use it for. A very good purchase that has changed our viewing significantly. Rates as a best buy for me!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the one you're looking for!, 15 Dec 2010
Having decided to upgrade my old DVD home theatre I knew that I wanted the Sony BDPS370 bluray player (because of it's reviews, price and wonderful iPlayer streaming) but, unlike before, I wanted the player and the amp/speakers to be separate so that if one broke I wouldn't have to change the lot again. I also wanted to be able to plug lots of bits & pieces into the amp (Wii, Freeview+ box, PC, TV-Out etc) and all-in-one systems seemed to have only limited input capability.

So, I researched (a lot), read the reviews etc and despite not having heard of the Onkyo brand before, kept coming round to them and to this system package in particular. Further research told me that Onkyo is indeed a well-respected 'pro' home theatre manufacturer and that this receiver & speaker package was generally well understood to be a great starter set - good quality, lots of features and not too expensive. I did read about some problems with the active sub woofer cutting out and other things but I decided, at the Amazon prce of £280, to give it a punt.

Well, one week on and I couldn't be happier. It's a quality piece of kit all right - well made, beautiful in black and very easy to set up. All my bits and pieces plugged in easily and everything works. But oh the sound....!

DVDs sound great and blurays in proper HD 5.1 surround are amazing - but the best thing is listening to those 'special edition' 5.1 DVD versions of your old CDs. Wow! I put on the Beatles Love album the other night and it was just magical. This Home theatre system will change the way you watch and listen to everything. In fact, watching the BBC over the net in HD iPlayer with true 5.1 audio is now better than the original broadcast!

I've had none of the potential problems that I'd read about on some forums and reviews but what you won't know is that you do have to buy your own good quality leads; HDMI, optical etc but again Amazon is great for that. You'll also have to learn what settings work for each different discs or TV broadcasts - sometimes it's best to use native Dolby or DTS 5.1 surround off the disk, other times you select one of the processed sounds, e.g. Neo6 to get a surround-like effect out of the TV's PCM stereo signal. But playing with it and getting to love it is half the fun.

This is a great toy. Best £280 I have ever spent and I honestly can't recommend it highly enough.

3.0 out of 5 stars Subwoofer problem, 29 Jan 2011
Alexandru Lucian "Luc1979" (Bucharest) - See all my reviews

We are still waiting for a solution."

So the system is great, but it seems unacceptable to have this issue. It is too expensive for me to send the item back for a refund. I would have send it and probabbly buy the 6305 model.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant System .., 25 Dec 2010
Rk Nair "rajkn" (UK) - See all my reviews
Having researched the market to find a home cinema for my PS3, settled on this one due to the favourable reviews and I am not disappointed. It is very sleek and looks great with your existing equipments. The sound quality is absolutely wonderful and particularly blu ray movies and HD channels sound brilliant and make you feel as if you are in the middle of the action. With HDMI connections there is a on screen setup menu which is very useful to manage your connections which is extremely simple. The surround speaker wires were fine for my place, but wires running around the house dont not look that good and next time may go for wireless surround speakers !!

And Amazon's service was brilliant as usual..Ordered on 22nd Dec and received on 24th December though I was told 'll receive it after Christmas.

In all a great product if you want a home cinema experience at a reasonable price.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›