5.0 out of 5 stars Awsome
This band has a very unique sound, no one is like them (that i know of). This is an excellent follow up to their preivious album, you can tell its crystal castles but this album has a more euphoric dance feel to it but sounds more mature than there previous album. To be honnest i liked the first album but i love this one! Definatly the best album i have listened to this...
Published on 13 July 2010 by Rt Giles

3.0 out of 5 stars All surface with no heart.
Crystal Castles are an electronica duo from Toronto. The singer is a cooler-than-thou woman who alternates between shouting and cooing. Skulking in the background there is a professional Grumpy Bloke making a heavily processed soundscape in part derived from the music in 8 bit abandonware.

Thanks to umpteen years of listening to noise in many different forms,...
Published on 23 Jun. 2010 by Captain Cowchucker

5.0 out of 5 stars Crystal Castles, 14 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Crystal Castles [II] (Audio CD)
Bought this for a present so have no idea what it was like but recipient was very happy so I'd give it a thumbs up.

4.0 out of 5 stars Suprisingly wonderful, 18 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Crystal Castles [II] (Audio CD)
I saw Crystal castles 'perform' as the opening act for Rock Ness festival in 2010. They didn't even play any music, she just staggered round the stage with recently finished bottle of Jack swearing and getting the sound turned off as it was supposed to be live on radio 1. 'rock and roll' no just utterly terrible, and not a good start to the festival. I saw them at Glastonbury in 2011, and i was prepared to hate them, it was pouring with rain and they came on late. However to my surprise, i enjoyed them! So took the plunge and bought this album. I really like it. i like the stomping techno side, i like the Blondie throwback disco beats, and i like the punk shouting. The muffled 'in the background' nature if the vocals takes some getting used to. On the whole i love it! 'Baptism' is a fantastic song.

5.0 out of 5 stars Music you can't hum to, 24 May 2010
RachelWalker "RachelW" (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Crystal Castles [II] (Audio CD)
Fantastic! While there first album was a bit bitty, this is slightly more cohesive. A wonderful spangling wall of soundscapes flying high and low, twinkling and roaring, backed by a wonderful, ethereal wail. I could listen to this over and over, and at the moment I am. It makes you tap your feet, sucks you in. Along with The National's new effort High Violet, this is the best album of the year so far by an old-fashioned country mile.

5.0 out of 5 stars Present for my granddaughter, 5 May 2012
This review is from: Crystal Castles [II] (Audio CD)
This item arrived, direct to my granddaughter in time for Easter, which delighted her no end! Thank you for making her one happy young lady.

5.0 out of 5 stars great buy!, 6 July 2010
This review is from: Crystal Castles [II] (Audio CD)
fab quality :) came in 2 days, will defo cum bk to buy more :) and very cheap!!

3.0 out of 5 stars All surface with no heart., 23 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Crystal Castles [II] (Audio CD)

Thanks to umpteen years of listening to noise in many different forms, I just knew that sort of thing was for me. Even the acid test of listening to a couple of tracks from them on Youtube convinced me that I would like this band and their music.

Except... Why do I feel so underwhelmed?

The second Crystal Castles album follows the same sequencing pattern as the first. First you have a blast of something noisy, followed by something relatively tuneful. Noise, pretty tune, noise, pretty tune, noise, pretty tune so on and so on. I can understand the logic there - the listener might appreciate the opportunity to catch their breath between the Sonic Adventures in Cathedrals of Sound (man).

Except...

The noisy bits lack subtlety and variation - mostly they just an unholy racket. Take for example 'Doe Deer'. It's 1'38" of high volume distorted blwaaaarrrr and long overstays its welcome. There was no sense of catharsis through noise for this listener, just a strong urge to turn it off. It's fine if you want a soundtrack to drug-induced psychosis or an anxiety attack, but would anyone want to listen to this for fun? An understanding of how to use noise - knowing when to launch an all-out high volume assault and when to hold back - is vital. Time and time again the band wrong foot the listener and just end up being irritating.

The more tuneful songs are enjoyable, if slightly too emotionally detached. Crystal Castles show that you can be too cool, your ennui too convincing. While 'Celestica' is a cute pop song that reminded me of the sort of thing St Etienne used to do and 'Baptism' is a full-on mid-90s dance track with distinct echoes of Sash's 'Encore Une Fois' and I really liked 'Empathy' and 'Suffocation', there is a distinct impression that you've heard these songs performed before by other groups with far more finesse. These songs seem to be second-generation facsimiles, memories of great songs.

So... On paper Crystal Castles sound great. And I really wanted to like this band - I really did.

Except...

I didn't. Or rather I couldn't. It's hard to love music that makes no effort to engage with the listener. Their music lacks a certain something; it's all surface with no heart. Perhaps that's the point.

3.0 out of 5 stars not the greatest album in the world, 14 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Crystal Castles [II] (Audio CD)
OK if you a fan otherwise not the best out there. Probably best to save your money for something better.

3.0 out of 5 stars Crystal Castles, 29 April 2011
This review is from: Crystal Castles [II] (Audio CD)
Crystal Castles are an interesting band and I've liked both the albums so far.

My only issue is do they really need to be almost an hour long?! If both records lost a good quarter of an hour they would have a far bigger impact, especially the second one which tails off slightly and feels a bit drawn out.
(I don't have a problem with epic albums but I feel these guys possibly don't have enough ideas to maintain this sort of running time yet.)

However, when these guys hit their stride they really produce some fresh and exciting ideas. I'll be interested to see where they take this next.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dark dance music! But alas the song I bought it for is not on it..., 4 Feb. 2011
Sara Greatorex "sassygirly_wd" (Kings Langley) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crystal Castles [II] (Audio CD)
This album is quite unique, unlike anything else I've ever heard. If I really had to compare them to anyone, I'd say Crystal Castles are a little like the Prodigy in their early days - think 'No good (start the dance)' and you'll have a rough idea of what to expect.

In general, I like the album, though some of the songs are a bit samey in my opinion. There is 1 song (I forget the name as I listen to this in the car) which is pretty awful as it sounds like a mashup mix of samples that just don't work together. If you buy this album, you'll know which one I mean! I actually purchased this because I kept hearing 'Not in love' on the radio and I just loved it. However, this album does not contain the version I was accustomed to, the version featuring Robert Smith from the Cure...VERY disappointed, as the album version is nowhere near as good. Instead, it features a synth'd voice (as do many of the songs) which is okay, but nothing like Mr Smith's excellent vocals on the single version. So if like me you wanted that song, either buy it as an MP3 download or wait for the day this album gets re-released with the PROPER version on it.

Overall, I'd say this album is most likely to appeal to early 90's ravers and anyone else who appreciates that sort of music.

2.0 out of 5 stars No where near the first album..., 6 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Crystal Castles [II] (Audio CD)
Okay. I'll put this as honestly as possible. There is experimental music, and then there is pure rubbish. And this is pure rubbish. The first 4 tracks are okay, and then the rest of the album just drags on, like a very slow and painful death.

I'm sorry Crystal Castes, but go back to the Alice Practice days.

Crystal Castles [II]
Crystal Castles [II] by Crystal Castles (Audio CD - 2010)